A dedicated refrigerator for drying weed, possible?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Smink13, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Hey guys, I've been doing some thinking. A fridge controls humidity and temp, much like an AC acts like a Dehumidifier right? So would it be possible to dial in a fridge to the proper temp, and slowwwwww dry your weed over the course of possibly weeks?

I ask this cuz no where in my grow is it cooler than 72 degrees and it usually is around 78 in the place where I dry. This in turn drys my weed in a matter of days, usually around 3...4 if I'm lucky.

I've always had decent smell and taste but never like, omg this shit is crazy and I'm thinking it's cuz of how fast my shit drys. If this fridge idea isn't possible, then any other ideas you guys can throw me on slow drying in any hotter place, I'm anyll ears...thanks in advance guys!

2. Hmmm, I don't know. Never heard of it. I'd guess that it would take a while. Maybe I'll toss in a cola and try it. I still have 4 weeks to go tho.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Sounds like a great idea except a fridge does not controll humidity , there is no humidity setting
    I don't think a fridge is made to operate on its own in the correct temp range for drying weed .
    You also need some fresh air circulating around so she don't mold
    And then there is the smell issue , sounds great w a filter and air circulation though

4. I have a mini fridge but it's been sitting since my college days so I'm going to clean the shit out of it to make sure there is no mold or anything and give it a go. Unless I'm misunderstanding something about how a fridge works, I don't see why it couldn't work!

5. Well the fridge has a fan in it for the freezer and this mini fridge has the freezer in the fridge so that could work for that or simply opening the door every few hours, days may work too. Humidity your right I feel would be my worst problem. If I can't control that, it's all worthless but a little retrofitting may be in order to get it to work.

6. Also was thinking about the crispers. That would control humidity but be too small for what I'm trying to do

7. A year old any way, I tend to hang my weed in a chiller to dry, similar to a fridge, just that it's turned off, the stocks are hung on the chilling racks. for humidity control it's stuffed with newspaper (for small quantities). for larger harvests I add diatomaceous earth, the silicon packs you get in shoe boxes could work too but I think about toxicity, what those do is absorb moisture, just need to add enough moisture absorbing material to keep the humidity right. and open it up 3 to 4 time every day or 2. Can't say this will work for everyone but this is the only space I got and haven't gone wrong yet.

8. Hey I explored this before and the humidity in a fridge is certainly lower than that of the outside- yes I have when the harvest came close to being done put a tray of bud in the fridge- it WILL dry them.The only reason I tried was I use small humidity meters in my jars and put one in the fridge one time and seen the humidity dropped to around 25%.. It will dry it,I used a cola box (short sides) with paper towel in the bottom and laid them out NOT stacked. Several time when I have gotten TOO quick to trim and place in jars, seen the humidity up around 80-90% after it sat in the jar and had to go back open and dry them a bit more-hey it works