A Debate "Moderator" in the Tank for Obama

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Deutschbag, Oct 1, 2008.

1. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/10/a_debate_moderator_in_the_tank.html

2. I don't know of Ifill, but I assume she's a professional reporter/anchorwoman, and as such won't let her personal opinion colour her professional conduct.

That a journalist writes books on hot topics shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. But writing books is a personal enterprise that got little bearing on her day job (still asssuming she is some kind of TV/Print journalist).

It's a matter of professionalism. In my line of work, I've done AV-engineering work for quite the few political congresses and speeches by various politicians running the entire gamut of the political spectrum. And I always do my best, regardless of what party or representative I might be working with.

That said, I do have one little showstopper. I never take on work for any religious service or newage bullshit. My brain would explode 2 minutes into it, so I just politely decline. Though I've made exemptions for humanitarian events in a religious framework. Especially for the Salvation Army, as I think they do great work amongst the less fortunate.

Oh, rambling again. I'll try to keep it down, but it'll be difficult today :smoking: (cough) :D

3. ^Indeed. Listen to the way she handles the debate, then criticize. Jim Lehrer did great, very nonpartisan, but he's probably voting in the election.

4. Ahh, so the McCain camp does know what the Bush Doctrine is, and can now employ it! A preemptive excuse for losing a debate that hasn't happened yet, excellent. "Attack the messenger before the message is even heard!"

Now, if only both sides had not agreed to the moderator BEFORE HAND, this excuse could work. Perhaps if McCain had properly vetted the moderator in the same stringent way he vetted Caribou Barbie.....oh, wait....scratch that....

Doesn't it seem like McCain's people kinda half-ass every single decision of the campaign? They are always the last to learn of every hitch in the road, never seeing the approaching turn until hitting the ditch. I'm sure all this poor management/lack of planning will stop once he is elected. Take the chicken-out of the first debate for example, followed quickly by a flip-flop of the chicken-out. ROLMFAO

The Smirking Moossiah is gonna get crushed Thursday. She makes Katie Couric look erudite and grounded; she'll make Biden look like George friggin Washington with teeth. Kermit the Frog could moderate, it still won't cover up the fact that Falin has no political base, no record of success, no experience in high profile, high pressure debates, and generally no clue about her own government, party, or the last 8 years of Bush policy.

"I'll get back to you" ain't gonna work this time, sweetie. Clearly the McCain camp is priming the pump so that after Palin comes off looking like the airhead she is they can blame it all on the moderator. "She is not as stupid as she looks, it was the 'Librul media'", they tricked her!"

McCain/Palin 2008 would be a comedy if it were not so sad. Really, it is not fair. McCain ran a great campaign in 2000. He was the front runner and all he needed to do was close out South Carolina and the nomination was his. He had a clear message, a weak Democrat opponent, bipartisan popularity and a record to prove it.......then came the Rovian Push Polls, the "black baby" rumors from the Bush camp, and McCain's Vietnamese child(which is true). Rove pulled out all the slimeball tactics to barley win SC, and therefore, the nomination. Now it is too late. He is too old and too close to a failed President. He has had to run a long-shot campaign with very little support from the RNC and it is catching up to him.

5. Someone wears their heart on their sleeve.

6. Would you believe me if I told you auntiesocial is a Nader supporter?

Auntiesocial, if you really disapprove of both candidates... prove it.

I think the entire media is in the tank for both candidates. But then again, I'm just a paranoid radical.

7. Are you suggesting that the McCain campaign somehow convinced the Debate Commission to select Ifill because they knew she had a pro Obama book coming out, and planed to use this as an escape if Palin loses the debate? :rolleyes:

Let's face it, if the tables were turned the Hollywood liberal lame-stream media would have blown a gasket. :mad:

VP debate moderator Ifill releasing pro-Obama book 'forging a bold new path to political power'

8. What do you want, a "loyalty oath"? As I've said, I'm a liberal. There is only one option for liberals in this election: Ralph Nader

-Obama promotes "Christianity" in government
    -Obama wants to keep fighting America's pretend "wars" at any cost in blood and treasure--against drugs and "terrorists"
    -Obama voted for FISA
    -Obama wants to EXPAND the Pentagon budget
    -Obama believes the Iranian Rev. Guard is a terrorist organization

I'm not quibbling over which tri-mester a woman can have an abortion here. These issues hit at the heart of what makes a modern liberal. You can't vote for warrantless wire-taps and call yourself a liberal. You can't fork out 700B for worthless derivatives and call yourself a liberal. You can't expand "war(s)" with no discernable, enemy, state, battleground, objective, or conclusion and call yourself a liberal.

HOWEVER

The Republican Party has been in power for 8 years, 6 of those years they held every mechanism of government and shaped American policy to their will. It has been a complete disaster. Government waste and spending has grown, our armed forces--once respected--is now a symbol of greed and imperialism all over the world, our balance sheets are anything but, our trade deficit is disgraceful, the dollar is worth half of what it was 7 years ago but oil is three times more, Katrina, Abu Garib, Jack Abromoff, Downing St., Scooter Libby, Jeff Gannon, flowers and chocolates,…..I could do this all day……no one feels better about America now than they did 10-12 years ago.

The Republicans are responsible for all of this.[full stop]

John McBush is a Republican.[full stop]

9. Not really. But you must be suggesting the Bush Doctrine of preemptive attack implies it is OK to plant a fake reason for attack before hand?

Interesting.

I'm suggesting since the McCain camp were given opportunity to vote on the moderator yet picked Ifill they either:
    1-didn't properly vet the candidates, which seems to be SOP for this bunch
    2-or they always knew who she was and were willing to play the "librul media" card at a later date

You would assume they would at least wait until AFTER Palin gets trounced to play their ace(really a 5 of clubs), but the word from the Arizona tutors isn't good, so they are just getting ahead of the news cycle.

10. p.s.

"If the tables were turned..."

The tables can't turn. Obama's people wouldn't have allowed a partisan hack to moderate. They had the option to veto and would have used it if necessary.

McCain is complaining because he didn't do his due diligence; something that happens often is this campaign run by lobbyist, PNACers, defunct economists, and war criminals. The question Americans should be asking is: "Is this incompetence something we should expect to continue if he is elected?".

11. A black Obama supporter (who wrote a book about the fucking guy) moderating the debate. Need I say more?

12. this moderator who wrote the book (which is scheduled to come out on inauguration day), has much to gain financially if Obama becomes elected.
    Who's gonna buy a book about a dude who lost the presidential election?

That being said.. that saddle back church interview was clearly leaned towards McCain.

13. Apparently so, because somehow McCain still didn't figure it all out! All he had to do was veto her and another mod would have been found. So is he stupid, aloof, or naive? Either way the rules of the debate were written to make sure the mod would be considered "fair" for both sides.

It's kinda like AC Milan getting to select the referee each week (this really happens BTW) and then bitching when a call doesn't go their way(this happens too).

How can ya'll keep ignoring that?

14. I think the real issue about the debates is being ignored here. It doesn't matter who the moderator is because THE DEBATES ARE STILL CLOSED. There are no 3rd arties allowed in them and therefore any debates being held are an insult to America

15. #15 maxrule, Oct 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2008

I don't think McCain is complaining, he pretty much dismissed it.

Some people in the media are somehow surprised. I am not surprised what so ever. :rolleyes:

I started following politics during the Clinton impeachments. I watched the Hollywood liberal lame-stream media turn a prudish conservative book worm named Ken Star into an over zealous sex pervert out to spy on Bill Clinton's private sex life; the exact opposite of reality; Bizarro World..and millions sucked it up...lol. :)

These people are master character assassins and highly skilled at the manipulation of public opinion. Hitler would be so proud.

16. These people are master character assassins and highly skilled at the manipulation of public opinion.

Awww. Poor little Ken Starr. He spent 50 million dollars to prosecute the perjury charge associated with a friggin blowjob. He was so mistreated! Why can't people just leave him alone with his books and blank checks from the US Treasury?

"Manipulation of public opinion", indeed!

"Hitler would be so proud"
    Madam Chairman, I would like to have Maxrule committed for violation of Goodwin's Law. ;)

The first person to make inappropriate use of a Nazi reference in a debate loses. The Nazis were responsible for the death of more than 20 million people. Remember that, Skippy. When the "Hollywood liberal lame-stream media" kill 9 million people in gas chambers, let me know.

17. Well, this thread has been fun to watch. +1 on the Goodwin's Law violation. Very, very lazy.

Something that could be done, which won't, is Ifill should step aside as moderator of the debate. She's said herself she sees no reason why her presence is an issue yet she has a book slated for release on Inauguration day which has sections devoted to Obama. Classic example of conflict of interest. If this woman cared at all for journalistic integrity or Obama as President she'd step aside and recognize the toxicity of her presence at this debate.

If there's one thing that energizes the right wing nutjobs base it's when they feel that the lib-ruhl media is attacking one of their own or purposely trying to fuck them. They're not very bright so they respond well to delusion and conspiracy. The same can be said of the left wing nutjobs while we're at it.

And the McCain camp needs to grow up. They had the opportunity to select as they saw fit and didn't do their homework, apparently. Now they're just being lazy and resorting to tired rhetoric.

If Biden is smart he'll let Palin hang herself. Two issues I'd go with would be global warming and the economy. Something tells me Palin would find herself on those two issues the deer in the proverbial headlights. How choice.