Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

A cure for anorexia!

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by DankyDank62, Jan 19, 2012.

1. I think and believe that I have found a cure for anorexia. When someone is anorexic they do not want to eat and therefore die. And people who have medical needs of marijuana are therefore hungry due to the munchies taking effect. So we have something that enables the munchies and someone who is in desperate need to do the munching. We shall combine them! And combined we have marijuana as a cure for anorexia! Thank you all

2. Hahahahaha what the fuck
    Anorexia is a distorted body image and it doesnt usually lead to death. Marijuana is already commonly perscribed for eating disorders like this.

3. This seems like it should be posted on highideas.com instead lol

4. Lol, you're not the first person to think about this.. And anorexia is a mental disorder where they have a problem with there body image and think they're too fat.

5. But marijuana affects the receptors in your brain to make you want to eat

6. Oh well then. My bad guys

7. i had no idea

8. coolstorybro

9. #9 ignila, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012
    If you haven't done any reading on the subject already this is a pretty good observation.

The synthetic THC drug, Marinol, was actually primarily marketed as a way to increase appetite in AIDS patients. So you are on the right track; if there is an anorexic individual who is already going through recovery and still is dealing with a conditioned lack of appetite, weed would probably help them out with putting on a bit of body mass.

I don't think weed alone is a cure for a psycological disorder such as anorexia, there's a bit more to anorexia than just not eating, but with proper treatment its certainly possible that weed could help people suffering from eating disorders. But don't quote me because I am definitely not a medical doctor

10. There is a bit more to it than that, I'm afraid! :( (I'll be nice today and try to stick to news articles. ;) )

Did you know that your body makes its own cannabinoids- anandamide and 2-AG? And that some poor souls don't make enough? :(

Not Feeling Well? Perhaps You're 'Marijuana Deficient' (news – 2010)
    Not Feeling Well? Perhaps You're 'Marijuana Deficient' | Personal Health | AlterNet

This affects how the brain works and can lead to all kinds of "impaired emotional behavior", including depression and eating disorders.

Do Deficits in Brain Cannabinoids Contribute to Eating Disorders?
    (news – 2011) Do deficits in brain cannabinoids contribute to eating disorders?

The way cannabis and endocannabinoids work is to activate those CB receptors in your brain which can't be made properly without Omega 3.

Cannabinoid Receptor Function is Altered by Nutrionally Deficient Diet (news – 2012)
    Cannabinoid Receptor Function is Altered by Nutrionally Deficient Diet - Philadelphia medical marijuana | Examiner.com

So there is more than one way a person can become an anorexic-

Through their genetics so that they are not producing enough in the way of endocannabinoids. These anorexics would respond well to a cannabinoid therapy. Get them high and they will begin to eat- the cannabis will fill in for the missing anandamide and 2-AG. :)

They could be simply lacking enough working CB receptors for their endocannabinoids to set off hunger because of their poor diet. These anorexics won't do as well until their Omega 3 deficiency is addressed. Unfortunately, the American diet is WAY low in Omega 3.

O-6 vs. O-3 ratio
    Omega-6 to Omega-3 Ratio - Discover the Shocking Reality That Ruins Your Health More than You Think! - Free Online Library

The psychological issues with body image could easily be caused by a malfunctioning brain, either one of the above could set that off!

Granny :wave:

11. Well if you have AIDS Or HIV some people experience loss of appetite and the body deteriorates this is a different form of anorexia and not the one associated with ppl thinking they are fat... anyways some patients use weed to induce the munchies so they can save their bodies... so in a way marijuana is used to help people with a form of anorexia... but OP doctors already know this... At least you tried though

12. My meaty cocks the cure

13. protein is good for fattening up bitches if u nawmeen...

14. Got my card on Sunday for anorexia and it works wonders.

15. Anorexia Nervosa is a mental disorder in which a person does not eat, even though they are aware of the consequences. It does't have to be because of social/universal image of thinness.

16. You're a genius!