A couple of questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by xxBURT0Nxx, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Okay, so I have been looking around on here, reading books, and there are just a few questions I can't seem to find the answers to.

1. How big of a CFL should I use for a cloning room, there will only be 2-4 clones in there at a time. So far I'm thinking something between 30 and 50w??? Also what is the best light spectrum for a CFL and cloning?

2. I am going to SCrOG grow with a veg room and a flowering room, and then I will just swap the lights from one room to the other when I need to switch from veg to flower and then start a new cycle. This is really the only way I could think of doing a scrog with a veg and flower room w/o spending 3x the money to get switchable systems so I could just swap the bulbs. Anyone else have suggestions?

3. Each room is going to be about 3' by 1 - 1.5' and maybe 4 or 5' tall. I will be using a 250w HPS and a 250w MH, which should be enough to provide the 50w per sq ft rule, but I'm mostly wondering about timers. I know that with bigger lights you can't just use a cheap timer because of how HID lights charge up. What types of timers will I need for these lighting systems? And I can just get one timer since the veg chamber will be 24hrs.

Thanks, and sorry for the n00b questions, I just can't really seem to find them on here.

2. All of those questions have been addresees here at the city have you used the search feature

3. yeah i have... like i said in my post, but i can't really find any info on cloning except the cloning for dummies thread which doesn't talk about wattage of lights, and the build a bubble cloner/aero cloner threads, which don't talk about lights. Then looking through grow journals I can't really find specific info about the clones.. most people tend to focus on the actual plants. I have read through many pages, and I can't find what I am looking for, which is why I posted this.. trust me I'm the last person that just posts some stupid questions that have been answered hundreds of times. So how about you shut up and get out of my thread because you are of no help.

4. Yo BURT0N, here's a few answers man.

1. 50w is good for cloning, as any seedling; they don't need a 600w hps light, something small will do fine until vegging when it gets alot bigger. During vegging switch to a 100w or better bulb.

2. No one will truly know whats faster, or money efficient until they weigh them against eachother. So, do what you think is best for now, as time progresses, you will find out what works best for you. Practice makes perfect.

3. Not sure about the timers on a HID bulb, I don't use timers right now since I'm out of work right now, and have the time to take complete care for them. I would get timers for everything light and fan related, you never know what can happen. And when you switch from 24/0 to 18/6 you'll need that timer for vegging.

Hope this helps bro.

5. yeah thanks, that's what i was figuring for the clones, nothing too big, just wanted to make sure.

I was just seeing if anyone had done seperate scrog chambers because I haven't really seen them on here, just a scrog straight through then the next grow.

Bump for the timer question, this is really the last missing piece of my grow and then I can start my grow box journal and after will order seeds and get it going.

6. A regular timer will work for a hid lamp... a $5 dollar timer at walmart will work. Or if u got 30 extra bucks u can get one of those digital fish aquarium timers
    on these u can control like 4 different out lets 3 are on and 3 are off and i think the other 2 are just reg out lets, they also have a dual timer 1 but i dont have pics of that 1!!!, WARNING THO, i have trouble with these not kicking on or off when they are suspose to after a long while of use, i just used them on my salt tanks

i reccommend the 5 dollar ones that u use the pegs on those are more reliable, and less accident prone i think

good luck!!! hope this helps!!!

7. sorry here are the pics

8. WTF it dont wanna let me do it!!!!

Attached Files:

9. alright, I guess I will just go with the walmart timers... I just heard that the way it turns on with so much power from HID lights causes the pegs to melt and ground causing them to either stay off or on? Maybe this isn't true haha but thanks for your help!

10. i dont think this is true seeing as your timer should not get hot just maybe the cord depending on how insulated it is, u can always give it a few test ons and offs to see how its gonna suit your needs ya know, just try out some cheapys and u should be fine, thats what im planning on using for mine, besides if u couldnt use them with HIDS, i would think the box would have some type of warning on it, just try it out let it turn its self on and off by its self for about 5 or 10 min increments to see if it works, but id bet 100 bucks thatd you will b golden!!!!

11. it all depends on how strong your lights are. When HID's 1st start up dey pull in more power den dey would wen dey been running for a few minutes. As your only gonna be running a 250W bulb ders not gona be a problem using the simple peg timers. If in the future u decide to upgrade ur lights ur gona need to look into Contractor Relays.

12. yeh i learnt that the hard way and after researching i found out the contacts CAN fuse together leaving timer switched on permanant.its as previously stated the surge of power on startup. most segment (grasslin) timers are rated at 2a i now use a 4a digital which i got from "WICKES" (uk) for i think about £14 and is still going strong after 4 grows it also has a battery back up incase of power failure (keeps time/date and on/off settings)oh yeh i am running a 600 hps no probs :)
    hope this helps.