A couple of questions about CFL bulbs.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Dangerousmind, Jun 9, 2007.

1. 1. The package of the CFL (Sylvania 40w Soft White) says "Operate base down only". Now, I don't think it's quite practical to light a plant from the bottom. Is it ok to have the base on the upper side? or is it important to heed the caution?

2. Is it ok to operate a 40w CFL (Equivilant to a 150w incandescent) in a desk lamp rated for a 60w or less incandescent?

Thanks!!!

2. I actually found out the answer on my own by testing it. The correct answer is: Maybe and No. The bulb got so fucking hot it started to melt the plastic on the lamp due to the heat being collected in the reflector. I think the only reason they have the warning to have it right side up is because of the intense heat generated by the bulb. So I guess if you have sufficiant cooling it would be ok.

3. If the bulb says its 40watts, then its using 40watts. Dont pay attention to "equivilant" ratings.

Be careful using desk lamps... Go to homedepo and spend $15 on a few 6" spotlamps.

4. Wow, I didn't even think of spot lamps! Good idea.

5. Even better... they sell the spotlamps with the hole going up the side instead of the top of the bulb. If you can, the light from the spirals is better than just the top of the bulb.

6. If you could paste a link or part number that would be sweet! I spent 3 hours at home depot and I came home with too many things that I don't need.