A Cop's Advice on Dealing with Cops

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by oltex, Nov 18, 2010.

1. A Cop's Advice on Dealing with Cops
    HuffingtonPost / Neill Franklin / 11,15,2010

As a 33-year law enforcement veteran and former training commander with the Maryland State Police and Baltimore Police Department, I know how easy it is to intimidate citizens into answering incriminating questions or letting me search through their belongings. This reality might make things easier for police looking to make an easy arrest, but it doesn't always serve the interests of justice. That's why I believe all citizens should understand how to protect their constitutional rights and make smart decisions when dealing with officers of the law.

Unfortunately, this important information has remained largely unavailable to the public, despite growing concerns about police misconduct and the excesses of the war on drugs. For this reason, I agreed to serve as a technical consultant for the important new film, 10 Rules for Dealing with Police. The 40-minute docudrama aims to educate the public about basic legal and practical survival strategies for handling even the scariest police encounters. It was produced by the civil liberties group Flex Your Rights and is narrated by former federal judge and acclaimed Baltimore trial lawyer William "Billy" Murphy, Jr.

The opening scene portrays Darren, a young black man getting pulled over. He's driving home from college. This is the fifth time he's been pulled over in a year. Frustrated and scared, Darren immediately breaks Rule #1: Always Be Calm & Cool. Mouthing off to the officer, Darren aggressively exits the car and slams the door. The officer overreacts, dropping Darren with a taser shot to his chest.

Should the officer have tased Darren in that situation? Probably not. Would the officer likely be disciplined? No. But that's not the main point of 10 Rules. The point is that the choices you make during the course of such encounters have a massive impact on whether it ends with a simple warning, a tasing -- or worse. This is true even if you've done nothing illegal.

While being calm and cool is key to getting the best possible outcome, it's not enough to keep police from violating your constitutional rights. For example, when the officer commandingly asks Darren "You're not hiding any AK-47s in there? You don't mind if I take a look?", Darren gets tricked like most people do.

Intimidated and unaware of other options, he consents to the search. The officer carelessly dumps his bags, accidentally shattering Darren's laptop on the asphalt. In another "what if" scenario, the officer finds a small amount of marijuana hidden away. While someone else might have left it there, Darren winds up getting arrested.

What few people understand, but police know all too well, is that your constitutional rights only apply if you understand and assert them. Unless they have strong evidence (i.e. probable cause) police need your permission to search your belongings or enter your home. The instant you grant them permission to invade your privacy, many of your legal protections go out the window and you're left on the hook for anything illegal the police find, as well as any damage they cause in the process.

Of course, even if you know your basic rights, police officers are trained to shake your confidence. If you refuse a search, I might respond by threatening to call in a drug-sniffing dog and sternly reminding you that things will go much easier if you cooperate. Creating a sense of hopelessness for the suspect enables us to break down their defenses and gain compliance. In the film, we show several variations on these common threats, but the main lesson is that it doesn't matter what the officer says; you still have to remain calm and protect your rights.

In today's world of smart phone video, YouTube and Twitter, stories of police abuse travel fast, creating greater awareness of the problem of police misconduct. Unfortunately, this heightened awareness often serves to reinforce the notion that "cops can do whatever they want." It's true that much work remains to be done towards ensuring police accountability, but the very first step is to educate the public about basic constitutional rights.

Citizens who understand their rights are much less likely to experience negative outcomes, both on the street and in a court of law. Until each of us has the ability to protect our individual rights and recognize injustices against others, we're not likely to accomplish much in the realm of broader policy reform.

I hope 10 Rules for Dealing with Police will be embraced by parents, teachers, activists, and even police departments as we work towards reducing the tension that too often characterizes the relationship between cops and the communities they serve.

Slideshow here

2. it doesnt matter, u can refuse a search all u want, in the end the cop (if he really wants to) will search your car and fuck u over. who is the judge going to side with, the man who he works with on a daily basis or the "drug addict"

3. attitudes like this are pathetic.
    come on dude....

4. what? im not saying dont utilize your rights, but im just saying that if they want to search they can and dont be too surprised if it happens

5. that was more of a summary than advice.

6. There are cops out there that can and WILL do whatever they fuck they want to get probable cause. They will make up any bullshit reason just to get in your car and find evidence. Yeah you could testify the officer was bullshitting you when he said your eyes were red, but who is the judge going to trust more? The red eyes stoner or the police officer?

7. its true, all a cop needs to do is say "i smell weed" and hes granted permission to search the car, regardless of whether or not there actually was a weed smell or not. Its all based on what the cop SAYS, not what he actually experienced

8. First i would like to thank the OP for this thread, good info.

people need to realize that when dealing with the police its imperative that you remain calm and relaxed. this is never easy for several reasons, including the natural nervousness that comes with being pulled over. These men and women are trained to pick up on behavioral ticks and relish the ability to assert the authority given to them by society. If you are holding and scared, you will most likely be spotted and thrown under the legal bus. Be calm, clear headed , and relaxed and there is a good chance he wont even notice the carefully rolled ziplock bag in your shirt pocket. I have seen this happen and was just as amazed as everyone who hears the story.

Also eye contact is very important, and not having bloodshot eyes certainly helps too

9. Not true. If he does search your car and you repeadidly say NO and are very clear about that, and he cant get a warrant or some cause, then you WILL get away with the charges in court. So maybe yes its true he can search it if it really comes down to it, BUT it will not stay in courrt because of an illgeal search

10. but ultimately its up to the judge's decision and if u either have a public defender or going at it alone (which is pretty much the same thing) ur gonna get fucked. I mean even with a private attorney there is still a chance of u getting the book thrown at u. and what if the officer just lies in court, who do u think the judge is gonna believe?

11. eye drops and febreeze go a long way. I've never been searched after being pulled over. I feel like if you don't smell like weed, and don't look like your high then the cop isn't going to bother most of the time. I also feel like even if the cop searches your car illegally and you are on record as having said no, then you're in a much better position when you get to court. Plus I feel like where I live, the cops aren't going to go hardcore searching your vehicle just so they can give you a violation ticket. But hey, Cops are human beings, each one is different and it all depends on how bored, motivated, pissed off, etc. they are.

12. 90% of the time it is the actions and attitude of the person being stopped that decides
    how the encounter will play out.
    Guaranteed,if you show your ass to the cop,he will show you his.

13. that's not an attitude, its reality...especially in the "bible belt"

14. hands down coolest cop ever

15. It's true. Actually happened. got pulled over, said the car reaked like weed smoke so he could search it (we hadn't even smoke yet.) he also lied on the police report saying this too. long story short, i'm on probo for 2 years.

16. Here:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc]YouTube - Dont Talk to Police[/ame]

And a cop responds here:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQWjDVKE&feature=related]YouTube - Don't Talk to Cops, Part 2[/ame]

17. SO BASICALLY, TO BE EXTRA SECURE AND SMART..... BEFORE THE POLICE OFFICER PULLS YOU OVER, REACH TOWARDS YOUR PHONE AND HIT THE 'VOICE RECORD' OPTION AND RECORD EVERY F'N MINUTE OF THE VIDEO. YOU CANT LOSE...HOPEFULLY

:smoke:

18. Yea people when I got stopped by a cop because I smelled like smoke and I looked underage I was really honest with him. I had a pipe on me but I hadent smoked weed out of it yet only that nastly pep spice crap. So right off the back before he even asked me any question I was like look officer I have a glass pipe on me but you can go ahead and test it there won't be anything illegal in it. I even had a warrant out for missing a payment on my fine. BUT since I was so honest and worked with him he let me go with a warning. He even gave me my steamroller and pep spice back.

So if you ever get stopped just act like a normal human being. Be nice and respectful and usually the cop will let ya go. It the people that give the cops a problem that end up getting in trouble. Just be honest with them. A good attitude goes a lonnnnggg way.

19. im from the uk and the police over here are scum. if you get pulled over you need to hide your shit. otherwise they take it and give you a £75 fine

20. This is not typical, but good for you. A good attitude is important, but knowing your rights is even more important and opening your mouth is the WORST thing you can do. Not all cops will let you go when you just burst out confessing. Take a look at the videos I posted earlier in this thread.