A complete diet and workout routine for those looking to put on muscle

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by KentuckyKush, Dec 9, 2011.

1. #1 KentuckyKush, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2011
    Alright here is what you need to do.

You don't have to be fanatic about your protein intake but just try and remember where you are in terms of consumption. Simple math.

Diet.

You MUST be disciplined here. This is the most important part.

Breakfast

Eggs and oatmeal. 4 eggs and 1 cup of oatmeal. If you're in a rush, down a scoop of whey protein. Overall meal should equal about 25 grams in protein. I do this everyday, hardly ever switch it up. Sometimes I'll make it scrambled or make toast and melt cheese to make it an egg sandwich. Some salt and pepper maybe. You can look on google for more ideas but I recommend this food combo because not only is it protein efficient but it is packed with carbs to give you increased energy and vitality. I also recommend multi vitamins at this time of day. Omega three fish oils as well.

Lunch

Tuna and mayo sandwich with a protein shake. Celery and peanut butter (pb great source of protein) you need greens at this point though. Baby spinach is really tasty if you add ranch, or my favorite-Italian vinaigrette dressing.

Lunch meat of your choice (stack it fat) and lettuce with a slice of tomato. Mustard and or mayo.

You can even switch out the foods you would use for dinner for lunch such as chicken or steak. For lunch I like to use tyson frozen grilled chicken or frozen steak strips. Quick and easy to cook and delicious in combination with la choy sweet and sour for the chicken and a1 sauce for the steak. Remember. Eat your greens. A glass of v8 (the good kind that tastes like fruit) is also recommended.

Pre workout

Best is a banana. Second is an apple. These are simple sugars. Do not eat too much because you might get sick.

Post workout.

Two scoops of whey protein.

Dinner.

Steak, potatoes, fish, broccoli, shrimp, chicken, brown rice, pasta, chicken salad, salad, grapes, any sort of berries, any sort of veggies.

Water. Tons and tons of water. At least 3/4 of a gallon per day. This is essential.

Try to eat like this at least 5xper week. Weekends you can cheat a little bit but don't over do it. If you start eating like this and find it to start getting monotonous, you can always look up different recipes in order to spice things up.

Workouts.

AW=add weight For all of these workouts you will start at 50 percent of your weight and progress up to your max. Try to increase your max by at least 5 pounds once you are confident that you can do it easily.

If you don't know what these are you can look it up on google.

Monday

chest and triceps

bench press 8, 6, 3, 1 AW
    skull crushers 3x10 AW
    incline bench 8,6,3,1 AW
    close grip bench 3x5 AW
    chest flyes 3x10
    upright rows 3 x10

Tuesday

Shoulders

military press 8, 6, 3, 1 shoulder AW
    plate raises 3x10
    One-Arm Incline Lateral Raise 3x10
    reverse flyes 3x10
    shrugs 3x12 AW

Wednesday

Back and bicep

pull ups 3x10
    chin ups (grip other way around) 3x10
    barbell curls 10 8 6 AW
    benover barbell rows 8 8 8 AW
    preacher curls barbell 3x10 AW
    deadlift 3x10 AW

Thursday

Legs and abs

Don't skip legs ever! It's where we put on mass.

squats 8,6,3,1 AW
    sit ups 4x25
    step in place lunges 3x10 Use dumbbells
    reverse sit ups 5x25
    toe raises (calves) 3x25 each direction legs use DBs
    Bicycle kicks for 1 min 3x
    Or plank on each side and the middle for 1 min each

Friday (easy day)

Forearms

Wrist curls with dumbbells 3x25
    Reverse wrist curls with dumbbells 3x25
    laying down on bench side wrists twists 3x15

Your body will get use to these exercises after a while unless you begin to lift REALLY heavy but switching up the routine is always nice to break the monotony. Look up extra exercises on google if needed.

If you do all of this I guarantee you will put on weight and look like a greek god. It will improve your mood and make smoking bud afterwards so much more delightful and rewarding. I also recommend reading Willpower and Self Discipline By Remez Sasson. Torrent it if you need to. Your life will change if you stick to these things my friends. I mean this. If you take this seriously you will improve your life drastically.

Remember nothing is impossible. Don't you ever fucking short yourself. There are no limits to what you can do and achieve.

Proof.

Stan Lee's Superhumans

Motivation.

[ame=http://vimeo.com/27933991]How Bad Do You Want It on Vimeo[/ame]

I went from this: (125)

[​IMG]

To this: (155)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In a year.

If you have any questions, ask. If you want to add something, go for it.

2. What would you reccomend if we don't have access to a gym or a workout machine? I have a couple of free weights but that's about it unfortunately.

3. For this caliber of muscle gain (i.e. adding 20+ pounds) you need access to a gym. With your setup though you can still get ripped, maybe not add very much weight-but still a decent amount of muscle by getting a pull up bar to hang on a door frame and a copy of p90x. You can torrent that if your broke :D

4. How much did you weigh before and after? You look exactly the same size to me.

5. I've gained 30 pounds. I was flexing as hard as I could while looking composed in the first picture(125). It's not hard to do in a mirror. When you have a constant low body fat as I do, it doesn't seem as drastic as if someone shed fat to get where I am. I've always been cut and lean.

My legs are twice as thick as in the first picture. I box and so they are my most essential muscle group along with my core. They are more likely where I put on most of my weight because I would work them out 3x a week on a cardio machine as well as this schedule I've posted.

No doubt I've gained at least 15 up top and 15 below my waist. If you can't see that then you must be under the influence of some sort of unmentionable.;):D

6. very nice guide. about how much protein do you need to consume daily? also could you reccomend any pre-workout supplements?

7. It's also important to consume some type of simple carbohydrate (piece of fruit) with your post-workout protein in order to spike your insulin levels and increase the rate of protein absorption.

8. Seems like it has worked for you but that has got to be one of the weakest leg workouts I've ever seen. 4 sets of squats, 3 sets of lunges, and 3 sets of calf raises??? Good luck with your future hamstring injuries.

9. I consume 160 grams of protein daily. Though since I am human, I sometimes fall short. When I feel lethargic or out of my element I will consume pre workout supplements. My favorites have to be jack3d, and twin labs nitric fuel. Both give a great energetic motivation boost, and increase the focus that is needed for intense workouts. Maca extract is a not as well known and underestimated endurance booster that I also use.

10. Nice guide. What time do you eat dinner and go to sleep? Do you intake anything before bed? I like to drink a casein protein shake (longer absorption) before bed with a magnesium vitamin.

11. #11 KentuckyKush, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2011
    I work with what I've got. I don't have a leg press or a leg lift. It works for me because I do sets that are heavy and always rep 10 pounds heavier than my previous max, and I run long distances. Not only are my legs stronger, but have greater endurance. I'm also a practitioner of Brazilian jujitsu and stretching is heavily emphasized so I see no problems in the future. I could decapitate you if I caught you in a triangle.

12. Lots and lots of water.

13. Yep you got it. Add some zinc and calcium to go along with that magesium :D

14. A little too strict for my liking.

People should also, as I'm sure you know, change things based on their personal goals and ability.

When I'm really bulking though I just drink tons of milk, eat tons of PB, fruits, veggies, and chicken. Workout hard, rest hard, drink water hard, and get ripped hard.

I'd personally do way more focus on squats and overall full body movements. Isolation is overrated.

15. That must be your personal preference. If it works for you then stick to it. Imo-I wouldn't recommend most people do more than I have said if they are squatting low enough with proper form :D

I've included all of the main compound muscle exercises which workout multiple muscle groups but throw in some isos to make sure the muscle we emphasize that day is getting defined and sculpted.

16. Thats a pretty good plan, but I dislike isolating different muscle groups day to day. Also on your routine you would only be squatting one day a week(thursday), whereas I prefer squatting 3 times a week, as well as doing the other compound exercises 3 times per week instead of once.

I usually just supplement the big 3 with stuff like power cleans, overhead(military) press, wide-grip chins(try these they shred your core), and a few other things like floor wipes(google these if ya don't know).

Your diet plan is spot on as well, if I could stick to something like that my gains would probably increase like hell. I find myself a little to broke to afford some of this stuff sometimes haha.:smoke:

17. Nice post buddy,

Would you recommend using ur workout plan+cardio if I'm looking to build some nice muscle and loose a bit of weight?
    I'm not talking about some serious weight loss, just a few pounds from the belly area :) (been skinny all my life, but since moved out from the parents house, drinking beer on the couch kinda got to me..+ munchies ha) I'm 177cm in height and currently weight at 78kg (sorry for cm and kg) :)
    Thanks