a clone off of a clones clone

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by 234, Feb 26, 2011.

1. alright so to break it down i got a strain i liked so i took a clone (c1) so before i flowered the clone i took a clone off of that clone (c2) so now before i flowered (c2) i took a clone off of that clone now i have (c3)

so basically i took a clone off of a clone that was taken from another clone

im going to keep doing this to keep this strain going

so my question is am i fucking up the genetics

2. I say no, some people say this does.

There are people who just keep on taking clones from clones, never having a mother for years, and get the same high ever time.. so they say.

3 votes nay | 0 votes for yay

3. #5 p_snickers, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2011
    urban legend speaks of the genetics 'degrading' little by little with each successive generation. Some claimed decrease in growing vigor and/or final potency.

but it's hooey

4. It better not be hooey, or a certain university owes me a refund for all those biology classes. It is certainly true, DNA can only replicate a finite number of times before things get lost. It takes years, but eventually it will happen. You could try forcing a hermie and inbreeding to preserve the genetics in seed form, but that has its risks too (not nearly as high as anecdotal evidence from Alabama suggests. No offense to them, as if any inbred hillbillies have a computer, since they are evil). Ultimately, repetitive cloning will reach a point where the clones either won't be as healthy or will just plain die, but by then it'll be time for a change anyway. How long can you smoke the same weed?

5. If it degraded, then it wouldn't be a clone.

6. Right, it'd be a dead clipping of a plant also soon to kick the bucket. This is why nature came up with the great idea of reproduction. That and it feels pretty damn good...

7. I knew a guy who did this as a test once.
    He said the genetics will change but only about 0.000001% which really is almost no difference at all. So yes, this would work, but at some point in time, it wouldnt grow correctly.