A CLEAR Plan For The Regulation Of Cannabis In Britain

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by BritBrit, Sep 15, 2011.

1. #1 BritBrit, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2011
    A CLEAR Plan For The Regulation Of Cannabis In Britain

CLEAR has published a report from the Independent Drug Monitoring Unit (IDMU) that shows a tax & regulate policy on cannabis could produce a net benefit to the UK economy of £6.7 billion per annum. This estimate is made from a detailed study of the size of the UK cannabis market, potential tax revenues, criminal justice system savings and additional costs of regulation including health information and education.
    UK ECONOMY TO GAIN £6.7 BILLION FROM CANNABIS TAX & REGULATE

Almost overnight the UK could enjoy a boost to its economy that is the same as the entire annual budget for the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, twice the budget of the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs and three times the budget for the Department of Energy and Climate Change.
    Without any new laws or any change in existing law, ministers could move this huge market out of the black economy and into legitimate businesses producing thousands of new jobs.
    Evidence from the US and Europe shows that a regulated system would also reduce all health and social harms, better protect children as well as permitting enormous gain from the medicinal and therapeutic benefits of cannabis.

The CLEAR plan for the regulation of the cannabis market in the UK

Download “A CLEAR Plan for the Regulation of Cannabis In Britain” here
    Alongside the IDMU report, CLEAR has published “A CLEAR Plan for the Regulation of Cannabis In Britain” which sets out detailed proposals for a regulated system. The key points from the report “Taxing the UK Cannabis Market” include:
    * 30% of all adults use cannabis in their lifetime
    * The downgrading of cannabis to class C in 2004 led to a decline in consumption but a dramatic increase in police action with seizures up 50% between 2004 and 2005.
    * The upgrading of cannabis back to class B in 2009 led to an increase in consumption.
    * There are 2.7 million regular users of cannabis in Britain (daily – monthly use).
    * Regular users of cannabis use an average of 10 grammes per week.
    * Approximately three tonnes of cannabis is consumed in Britain every day.
    * Total value of UK cannabis market approximately £6 billion pa.
    * Approximately 300,000 people grow their own cannabis in Britain.
    * Expunging existing cannabis criminal records of approximately one million people would result in additional income tax revenue of £200 million pa.
    * Proposed cannabis inspectorate with 2620 staff, 100+ offices and £200 million annual budget.
    * Proposed automatic custodial sentence for supplying to minors.
    * Criminal justice system savings estimated at £512 million pa.
    * Net benefit to the UK economy estimated at £6.7 billion pa.

A CLEAR Plan For The Regulation Of Cannabis In Britain | CLEAR

2. Nice! I like the fact that this in an international forum. All the others I've frequented have been mostly US-based communities. Activists around the world need to seriously unite somehow if we ever expect to topple the UNODC.

The Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs of 1961
    Convention on Psychotropic Substances of 1971
    United Nations Convention against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances of 1988

An international history lesson on Tyranny.

United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. Agreed, this is a worldwide issue for sure. Even legalization in one country would still create strong black markets in the others where it is illegal.

4. Absolutely. Also, consider all the foreign (I live in the US) studies on cannabis and drugs in general, that are completely disregarded by our scientific community. Sooner or later, all of that amazing brainwork going on overseas will be noticed.

Our government won't let us study marijuana. Too bad for them the Scientific Method, Chemistry and the Laws of Physics work just as well across the pond.

5. I'll update this as soon as I know more. The houses of Parlaiment are debating it on Sunday!

6. Legalization in one country is also going to yeild them a whole new tourism industry. :hello:

7. wait wait wait, this is fuckin legit? if they debate Sunday, realize its a good idea. write up the bill and pass it. its going to legal in Britain? better pack my bags :hello:

8. I hope this happens. Can't wait to be able to toke up whilst walking down the street, waving at my neighbors whilst knowing I'm within the law :smoke:

9. Here I come Britain!!

10. It's legit. If the bill is passed i'm taking my glass bowl for a walk. Think I might smoke a fat one of stinky ass blue cheese outside the local police station ^_^

11. Blue Cheese!! Oh NOES!! It's bad for you!!!

I hope you guys pull it off, for real. What we could do with such a HUGE example as legalization in the UK would provide... they can ignore the Netherlands, and Spain, but the UK? Fuck no! Best of luck from across the pond.

12. I'm thinking exactly the same thing. I'm also hoping the USA legalizes it soon. I'm a U.S. resident aswell. Lived in SD for 2 years near Sioux Falls :D

13. Hate to break it to you but its being talked about to be de-crimalised same as spain and dam, not legalised.

And if and when it passes (not sure with the conservatives in power, its the lib-dems talking about it) it may take months for the laws to be changed not over night,

But i am hopefull, and this is statistics/plan cooked up but a 3rd party group.

I do hope they discuses allowing home owners/tenants the option to grow there own green for personal use.

14. That would be most unfortunate, thought still a far shot better than being illegal. I'm pretty sure everyone knows that all of these are "long-shots". Everyone here in my country believed a few years back that we would never have a black president, surprise, surprise. Pass or fail, all of these initiatives serve to "normalize" the idea of of legal pot. Generations to come are shaping their opinions of marijuana and it's legalization as we speak. These initiatives are great for swaying opinions. It's only a matter of time.

15. I know it is a step forward, people are learning the true risks and harms of Cannabis and not the fake lies from religious/political and company's have spread.

I do hope this comes to pass because it will make people feel safer about where they get there green from and lose alot of the paranoia of having there door kicked in for smoking.

also its a big cash crop, cannabis has over 1000 uses that can be used to make money for the UK.

16. If the UK does this the US has to follow the lead, to be progressive

17. is the debate for defiant and is it a good chance this will happen ?

18. It's a debate in the houses of parliament with regards to the pro's and con's of legalization.

19. #19 McWeeed, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
  20. Sounds promising. I hope it does pass. Please do keep us posted the moment a decision is made on this very important issue. The domino effect will certainly ruffle a few feathers state-side here in congress. My only concern after chatting with a friends of mine is will logic, science and fact have any impact on our own government who already is dug down on their ignorant stance with prohibition (thanks to the lobbyists of corporate giants influence and deep pockets) to the point where any real change may end up coming in the form of a united community demanding our government end the corruption.... Wow, why do images if Egypt, Syria and the UK keep popping up?