A Career in Politics?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wsrd4b2, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Long read, scroll down for tl;Dr. Wait before you do, koo koo kachoo!

So there I was, no shit, sitting in front of the closed dispensary. No email, text message (this particular dispensary would text daily deals), no notification whatsoever. They just closed, and that was that.

I personally will say that yes, I do use marijuana recreationally, but yes, I do use it when I NEED it for medicinal reasons (with anxiety attacks every freaking day) so I'm not going to try and paint a white picture. Theres grey and black too. (Re-reading this I noticed I spelled g-r-e-y.. I'm from the SOUTH! wtf? Hella blown)

But it got me to thinking, I know how I need it on a daily basis, but what about those that need it to maintain a life worth living? Those suffering from terminal illnesses, those who use it to connect to God on a deeper level (no, I'm not super religious, if religious at all), ya know, the people who fought for it to get here and are long gone, and now I'm watching what they worked so hard for just disappear.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Well, I'm tired of doing nothing. I can't stand by while I let other people make the WRONG decisions for me.

This being said, I want to get into politics. I know this sounds like a half assed idea, but I've known I would be in politics since I was 10 or 11. I didn't know what my cause would be, I didn't know what kind of office I wanted to hold, I just knew that my life would eventually go into politics.

About me: 22 African American female, no college education, no real political views, non-voter..

I'm young enough to still be able to learn, and be malleable, but old enough to stand up for what I believe in.

I'm seriously going to be someone important one day, and I'm going to right some of the wrongs. SOME. But I honestly have no idea where to start.

So, my question to you is this: Where do I begin? HOW do I begin? What are some books I should read, what websites should I check out?

I'm being completely serious. I want to make a difference, I want the secrets to be told. Someone on these boards told me I would most likely get assassinated if I really did succeed to the degree that I want, and honestly I too believe that to be a very real possibility. But my life is worth more if I use it to be productive and for good.

I know it's going to be a very long-term process, so don't think I'm not thinking this through. The world gets more corrupt by the second, and it's finally hit home for me. I'm finally being brought out of my narcissistic thoughts and into the light where there's 6 billion plus people ya know? It's no longer just about me, it's about everyone. I think I beat Freud's theory on self realization. But don't quote me on that, I took 3 days of psychology and I'm a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10 right now.

But all jokes aside. What's stopping you from pursuing this same dream? Eh, not dream, my dream was to be the first woman to play in the NBA, then I was going to be on Lisa Leslie's team after the WNBA was created haha

Tl;DR- Today I realized that my calling to politics has arrived, but I am in no way, shape, or form ready to tackle it. I now need to get informed and educated, so what information should I start with? There is no good place to start in a mess such as a politics, so I'm basically just asking for opinions, links, books, anything to get me started.

2. pack a bowl, get comfortable, and tune in to fox news. Without fail no matter what show is on they will begin to misinform you. Get good and high in the first 10 minutes or so. Now that you are decently up there pretend that it is opposite day, but only for the TV. Everything you hear, just understand the truth to be the exact opposite of what they just said. By doing this you can pretty easily become very knowledgeable about the majority of current political knowledge.

Sources:
    This is what I do each night.

3. Be prepared for people to hate you, including me. Get a real fucking job, and don't feed at the public trough your whole life.

4. I have the same dream as u...first thing u should do is read our constitution it tells u the rules of running for office start their then work ur way into American history and u gotta learn to be a smooth speaker

5. send nudes to people
    take rich peoples money
    learn to lie
    learn how to make words sound good when there bad
    learn how to scare people
    run for office

6. [quote name='"JayTab"']Be prepared for people to hate you, including me. Get a real fucking job, and don't feed at the public trough your whole life.[/quote]

Don't hate me because I want to become a politician, hate me because I haven't yet.

7. #7 hoboleader, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2011
    well if you want to be a politician, start by getting some education. then volunteering at diff organizations, become known by the community first. Get a job working for a community organization or a political organization. Make some money, start your own shit from the ground up.

might be assasinated true lol.

then the only way to do it, is to get a 2 year degree from a community college. transfer to a decent university, get in for free because your black, etc etc. then get into a law school like yale. good luck finding a secret society that allows middle class black females.
    But if you do get into one, then you just play along with it, until you get high enough in power to overthrow them. like darth vader/the emperor shit. if you cant beat them then join them then beat them.

8. Politicians are parasites. All they care about is getting elected, because that's their job, to get elected. I would respect you if you had a career you would fall back on after a term or two. But no. You want to make a career out of it. That is why I would hate you. You would spend your life making money off of your constituents, good money, while doing relatively nothing.

9. [quote name='"hoboleader"']well if you want to be a politician, start by getting some education. then volunteering at diff organizations, become known by the community first. Get a job working for a community organization or a political organization. Make some money, start your own shit from the ground up.

might be assasinated true lol.

then the only way to do it, is to get a 2 year degree from a community college. transfer to a decent university, get in for free because your black, etc etc. then get into a law school like yale. good luck finding a secret society that allows middle class black females.
    But if you do get into one, then you just play along with it, until you get high enough in power to overthrow them. like darth vader/the emperor shit. if you cant beat them then join them then beat them.[/quote]

I went to a Yale applicant meeting. Got that super exclusive invite. Yale isn't for me

10. well you at least have to know more about politics then grass city. thats the first step.

11. [quote name='"JayTab"']

Politicians are parasites. All they care about is getting elected, because that's their job, to get elected. I would respect you if you had a career you would fall back on after a term or two. But no. You want to make a career out of it. That is why I would hate you. You would spend your life making money off of your constituents, good money, while doing relatively nothing.[/quote]

Man don't be so blind. My whole reason for choosing this career field is to stop SOME of that. I plan on going back to school, I had to drop this semester because my illness was out of control.

Do I want to drive a nice car and have a big house? Fuck yeah! But I give when I can, and when I can't. Example?

Couple weeks ago I had probably about 30 bucks and another week till payday. Guy comes up to me at the gas station and explains an awful situation. What do I do? Put $7 of gas in his car. Wasn't much, but it was literally more than I had to give.

There are good people in the world, as hard as that is to believe, and my mission is to give them a voice. Well, give US a voice.

But to each his own. You'll hear about me one day, and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Happy tokin bro.

12. If you get a job to fall back on, you can say what you actually believe without consequence, because you are truly trying to help. If you go for a career in politics, you will likely do nothing more than read audiences, pander to interest groups, and accept money in order to produce some spiel on why we need more taxes and regulations; if you don't do any of this, you will likely not succeed in getting elected, and therefore not have a job.

13. [quote name='"bumtildeath"']
    If you get a job to fall back on, you can say what you actually believe without consequence, because you are truly trying to help. If you go for a career in politics, you will likely do nothing more than read audiences, pander to interest groups, and accept money in order to produce some spiel on why we need more taxes and regulations.[/quote]

I hope you read my reply. I apparently posted seconds before you.

Think what you want, there are good people left.

And to hobo, I came here because gc (Pandora's box) presented ideas to me that I hadn't thought of. It's like going to your gam-gam to ask for advice. You know her advice will not explain every detail, but you trust and respect her enough to give you good information, no matter what the topic.

14. I'm glad you gave a guy $7 in gas.

I'm not being blind, but you'll learn about the dirty game of politics if you go through with it. Good luck to you.

15. next week, she will want to be a beautician...:p

16. I guess you didn't read my post.

If you don't buckle, you won't have a job. So you have little choice but to pander or have a private job.

17. Your justification for a "half assed idea" only makes it seem more half-assed, which splits that idea into like a quarter of an ass, so already you're at a bad start.

I've served on my town's Board of Ed as a student rep in high school and then as a member of town council when I returned from college, let me share some insight with you.

It starts with an education. For any office you try to apply for, even VOLUNTEER positions, the glaring part of the application is always "Secondary Education Information." If you are seeking an appointed position (someone chooses you, you don't run for office), and the SE part is blank, I guarantee your app is going in the garbage. That's what we did in my town. Not saying it's right, but that's the way it goes.

Attending a top 30 school opened many doors for me, including not having to run for town council. That's right. The council president just gave me the spot of a retired member after I had been volunteering in the Borough for a couple months.

So go to college, major in something concrete, something that people can respect, like economics or finance or engineering. Join any public speaking activity available to you including, debate, student gov't or mock Congress.

Once you have the basics down, come back and we can talk about working for free for a year or two and sucking up to old douchebags whom you normally wouldn't hold a door for in public.

Isn't politics fun :)

18. Read alot, concentrating on history, classic pieces, and a dabble of philosophy. Volunteer, suck up, beg for money, and let the haters hate. But at least have a stable degree to fall back on.

19. You won't change the establishment from within.

20. If you want to be a real politician, prepare for the media to hate you. Know who Ron Paul is? Watch what he goes through everyday, and be ready. Learn what you stand for, and dont breath just to breath.