A Call for Civility

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mist425, Aug 8, 2009.

1. No one in this forum is evil.
    No one in this forum is retarded.

Everyone in this forum wants the United States to prosper.
    Everyone in this forum wants the future of our country to be better than its past.
    Everyone in this forum wants our children to have it better than we did.
    Everyone in this forum wants the legalization of marijuana :smoking:

So let's just cut the bullshit that's been flying around at an increased rate as of late. I don't care if you'd suck Obama's dick at the opportunity or if you think he's the antichrist; we all need to treat each other with more respect.

Calling people morons/douchebags/sheep/nutjobs etc. does not move a dialogue forward; it only serves to add a lot of hot air to the discussion causing a clusterfuck of name calling and bickering during which relevant points are lost in the shuffle.

We need to approach every topic with an air of humility; we need to recognize that we might not know all the facts that other posters with contrary views could bring to light.

When involved in a debate with a person with oppostional views we all need to do a better job of both clearly stating reasons why we hold our opinion as well as concisely addressing the points the opposition, explaining why they are either misguided, skewed, or flat our wrong.

I'm not saying all this stuff from a high horse; I've engaged in as much pointless bullshit as the worst of us, but it recently dawned on me how silly it all is.

We can have rational, intelligent discussion without losing our civility. :)

2. Pity you forgot about the rest of the planet.

3. It's my hope that the movement originates in the GC politics forum and then spreads to the rest of the world :p

4. Well its got to start somewhere so sign me up, except for mondays when I kill people I'm not all that civil on Mondays.

5. LOL....thats a good one.

But seriously, while I agree with the sentiment, we also all live in the real world and have real issues financially , health problems, etc. . If the world was on a good course right now, everything could be roses and sunshine but it's not. I've been on many political forums over the years and have never seen such strong opinions as I do currently.

Those of us who have legitimate concerns need a place to vent and maybe get a different perspective from someone else. Bottom line is that nothing will change if we do nothing. Marijuana laws will never change if we don't demand it and keep fighting...politicians will always be corrupt unless we pull back the curtain and demand transparency. We must keep the heat on or be rolled over by those in power.

I'm very new to this forum but I must say that it is more civil than many and has a more balanced group. Try going to a full on liberal or conservative site and be a minority....if they don't like what you say, your voice will soon be silenced. It is possible to have a heated debate and still be civil.....so far this place is one of the best imo. I can handle being called an idiot, a neocon, a wing nut, etc. ...it just gives me more insight about the name caller. Those who lower themselves to name calling are usually either frustrated and angry, or they don't have enough of the facts to debate. It's pretty easy to figure out who is pissed off and who is regurgitating talking points from TV.

As for me...I will be civil, but I won't be silent.:D

6. best idea I've heard from a leftist/commie/progressive/liberal in a while.:hello::yay:
    hope everyone follows your lead
    but don't forget the ones who scream racism every time they dont understand what was said.

7. Nice sentiment but c'mon, this is the internet. Its impossible.

8. [​IMG]

Srsly... sounds good, won't happen, wish it would!

9. The great part about the net is that you can argue up a storm and not lose any friends (friends you can touch). Try having a civil debate with your friend, neighbor, parent, about politics and you will be sorry.