a better place/time

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by dantheman52, Nov 6, 2010.

1. this might not be the right section but i think itll work. ive been thinking alot lately about how i wouldve loved to live during the times of the ancient greeks, or even further back. i understand that the "standard of living" was far worse back then, but you also had freedom, self-sufficiency, just an over-all simpler way of life. if you wanted to go explore, you could. you didnt have to worry about trespassing or douchy police, you could just go for it. sure, i wouldnt know as much as i do, living without the internet and tv. but is any of that information useful if you lived on your own plot of land, had your own garden, raised your own cattle, and built your own house? the necessities are already there, just like they are here. only back then, they would be better/pure. just some insight.

2. I agree. I've thought about this in the past. Back when there was no need for a government, military, police, teachers, etc. Back when parents were all of those figures for their children. I'll bet nature was far more beautiful before there were sky scrapers and suburbs.

The conclusion I came to is that evil destroyed that way of life when man discovered power and began creating his own world with disregard to others. You can still see this happening today... I can't imagine what the world will be like in 500 years, but the way it's going I am glad I will not be around.

3. Just because the rest of the world is living fast and huddled together doesn't mean you have to. There are plenty of people who don't.

Modern Hobos
    Wilderness Survivors
    People living "off grid

You can extract yourself from the rat race as much or as little as you want. But in the end, we are just lazy and it is easier to have a house, go to work, watch TV, buy our cheap food, and veg out.

4. The Greeks wrote many myths about how the world used to be soooo much better, but by their time, it had all gone to shit.

Life can be a bitch at any time in history.

5. What I have found is that the thought that "there was a time when we were more free and pure" is a thought mostly central to people who live in a city. If you were raised on an acreage or a farm, or even lived in a small town for most of your life, you would think very differently.

Or maybe that's just because I'm Canadian... Who knows?

But to the subject of being more free during the times of Ancient Greece, Rome, or even Egypt, it may be of interest for you to research their histories. They had long and brutal wars, tyrants, the church deciding what was right or wrong, rampant disease, poverty and high taxes, I could go on. If anything, us North Americans are very free in comparison to how the world was even 500 years ago.

6. i dont really live in a city. i guess what i really meant is that during those times, you could live out on a piece of land somewhere, and just do your own thing. you werent dependent on a government. yea there were wars all the damn time, but thats true of today as well. also, ive been to canada (new Brunswick and p.e.i.) and i gotta say, i envy you guys up north. SO much untouched forest. i couldnt believe all the damn trees lol.