A Better Operation

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by DoctorDankenstein, Mar 25, 2012.

1. #1 DoctorDankenstein, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2012
    Hey everyone, :wave: I'm a legal grower, working on setting up a wardrobe growing space. This is my fourth attempt setting up a grow space and i'm starting to get more sophisticated about it. Feel free to give advice, I know some of you folks have been doing this for a while. :smoke:

[​IMG]

You'll notice from the pics below that I still have a lot of work to do in order to make this light-tight. :eek: It's looking kinda like a UFO in the dark. I'm using a 400-watt HPS ballast, with a convertible Metal Hallide bulb (I didn't know they made such a thing, very glad to have found it). My plan is to use this for a flowering room and to make a second cabinet for clones/mothers.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Today I added a shelf to set my ballast on and drilled an exit hole for my exhaust fan. I want to attach something to the outside of the cabinet, to help with the noise and blast of air coming through. Any ideas? My fan has a 6in diameter and the hole I drilled is only 2 1/2". I'm not really bothered by it but has anyone seen any issues with doing something like this?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm busy attaching mylar to the insides, using double sided tape which is working out pretty well. :hello:

The sliding doors are a real challenge. I've thought about removing them all together and adding some hinged doors but I'm not ready to invest in that kind of work just yet. I ordered a plunger lock so i can lock it up and plan on adding a velcro-stick cover around the doors. That should take care of the light issue.

I can't wait to start growing these White Widow seeds I have. It will be the first time using quality seed and I'm so excited. :wave:

2. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to with my ventilation? I like the idea of the blower being inside the cabinet, but the air coming out is intense and awfully loud. I have some foam that I'm going to use to create my own muffler, but I can't envision how a giant muffler will look sitting on the outside of the cabinet. I've tried to place that fan in different configurations but pushing it out the side seems to be the best fit. I'm currently leaning towards putting a carbon scrubber on the intake (hood) and then fitting a small 90 degree elbow on the outside of the box (where the hole is). I could line that elbow with the foam and push the air straight up. Any suggestions?

3. #3 pcxperp, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2012
    I'd say your off to a good start. As for the ventilation, several companies make silencers for attaching to your fans exhaust, or you can place them inline. They work fairly well, without decreasing the CFM too much. Below is a link for a silencer that I'm familiar with from Phresh. You can find cheaper (and more expensive) ones, but this one seems to be a good balance between price and performance.

http://www.amazon.com/Phresh-Duct-Silencer-6-Flange/dp/B003N9DQT2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_4

I'm always happy to receive suggestions/tips/opinions. Thanks.

http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-room-design-setup/1023031-help-me-maximize-yield-original-cheese-church.html

4. Took the doors off to show you the whole thing running. I got lazy about finishing the mylar all the way around, that stuff is hard work. My lock should arrive today. Once I get that installed I'll be one step closer to having a secure place to grow some White Widow.

Attached Files:

5. It looks like you have enough room in there to install the silencer inside the enclosure. Then you wouldn't have anything from the vent system sticking out of the box, and it would be much quieter.

6. I think that I have more width than what I really need. I'm considering creating a divider and instead forcing the air to the outside of the box that I could create a vent that would let it seep out. I drew up a design:

[​IMG]

7. Very nice!!! Subbed :bongin:

8. #8 RO76, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
    You suck the air trough the carbon filter not pushing the air through it unless you are using PROFILTER which can be used to push and pull.So correct set up will be ( if you use standard carbon filter) : carbon filter must be attached to the reflector's intake , so dirty air will go trough the filter in to the reflector and then in to inline fan....And the last thing : the more curves you have in your ducts the more power ( effectivness )your fan will loose .

9. That's the kind of advice I was hoping to get. Pushing through the carbon filter definitely seemed strange to me. Thanks . . . Elvis.

10. I drew up some new designs. No divider, which is a relief. I plan on making a homemade carbon scrubber and muffler. In the first design, I'll use one of the 5-gallon bucket designs like Rumpleforeskin demonstrated. In the second design, I'll have to get creative.

I'm curious if my fan (424 CFM) is going to give the right amount of ventilation with a carbon filter and a muffler attached. My light is only 400watts and my temps are consistently below 80 but those two items should put some strain on it.

Which do you prefer?

Attached Files:

11. #11 RO76, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
    First picture .it would be even better to place carbon filter as high as possible so it can remove te hot air concentration at the top instead of removing air from the bottom which will be few degrees cooler than the air at the top . 2nd picture not going to work , standard carbon filters have only one port ( to attach inline fan or duct ) the other end of the filter is sealed , it sucks the air troughs many small holes on the side . And to avoid having long duct and sharp curves it would be better (pic1) to attach carbon filter to the left side of the reflector and duct that leads to inline fan to the right side ( less duct, less curves = less power lost by your fan ). Also your fresh air intake for your box should be located on the right bottom part of the grow box , so fresh air will move trough the entire box before reaching the filter(better circulation ).

12. #12 DoctorDankenstein, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2012
    Today I did some work to make the wardrobe more stealthy. My wardrobe sits in the basement. I'm renting, and the power in the basement is shared between neighbors and myself. To be fair to them and not rack up electric charges that they would have to pay for, I was running a huge extension cord from my kitchen through a small opening in the floor. You can imagine how out of place and suspicious that looked.

I found a home wiring booklet and got some supplies and now have electric running to the cabinet. It was a piece of cake.

My lock is now on its way. I'll install that, and add a light proof cover to the front of the cabinet (thick fabric and velcro) and ill be one step closer to a very secure setup.

Attached Files:

13. Looks like you've got a magnetic ballast? Gets pretty hot, no? If temps are a problem try putting it outside the growroom.

14. #14 DoctorDankenstein, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2012
    Bah, I bought some ripstop nylon at the fabric store, the kind of stuff they use for bookbags. Turns out it doesn't block the light at all. I'm going to have to pay $25 for some thick vinyl fabric, which should look nice.

Elvis: I think I'll be attaching a homemade filter to the hood. Good call.

That's good thinkin'. I want everything to be contained inside though, stealth is my number one goal here.

15. Try Gotham Hydro you can get a tent about the same size as your box for $60 instead of wasting $25 here , $30 there.... Tent is much easier to set up and light and odor control in the tent is easier. I would advise you not to make carbon filter, when your plants grow bigger and start to stink you will see that your home made filter not going to be able to suppress the odor , do it right from the first time . Quality filters are expensive but they do work , no brand name sweat shop made and home made filters can not perform as good as quality filters . There have been many posts in here were people complain about crappy filters ... But call is yours .

16. #16 DoctorDankenstein, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2012
    While I really understanding what you're saying about being nickeled and dimed to death by this cabinet (I've invested over $100 and its hurtin) the thrill for me is in problem solving and making something from nothing.

I got my lock installed, and created my own muffler using some ducting and an eggshell bed pad. It's still a little louder than I would like so I'm going to experiment with this box and dampening the sound even more.

Up next: drill intake holes and install pvc, and seal this puppy off. After that, I'm all done :)

Attached Files:

17. #17 RO76, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2012
    I understand that you like the " process" and nothing wrong with that . I am just looking from the practical stand point. You mentioned that you made your own muffler , that is nice , I never made my own and bought PHRESH mufflers (4" & 6" ) they work grate , reducing the noise by at least 50% ( no exaggeration ) , but the interesting thing about those muflers is : They look the same from both ends inside and out , and only sticker on the side will tell you which end goes in to inline fan ,so if you connect it at the wrong end mufflers are practically not suppressing the sound , but when you connect the at the right end then you can hear the difference , so I guess there is more to it than just stuffing the metal tube with sound proof foam ....I wonder what ?

18. I've been sitting on this for quite some time, waiting for divine revelation or something. I can't think of anything, but it's good to know there's more to it.

19. With your sound problem from your inline for that small of an area you do not use all of the CFM from your fan why dont you just buy a fan controller from htgsupply.com for 15 bucks and dial your fan down and call it a day