A Beginner's Guide to Coco

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by TheWatcher, May 1, 2012.

1. yep thats not probs:) ill mix up a litre of each mix and feed them altho they not due for a day r so yet:)
    i hvant really had to alter ph,with the amount of nute im adding its bringing it down to the 5.8 5.9ish range anyways but i have got the stuff u reccomeneded:p

2. I've used Calmag plus in the past and still keep some around..IMO, it's a good product if one were to need a Ca ,Mg, Fe supplement and most peeps use it in RO, AFAIK..I occasionally run the PBP(soil-coco) line and sometimes will add CaMag+ to the mix, since the PBP lacks the levels I prefer..
    I also supplement my outdoor tomatoes with it..Ca whores AFAIK.. Actually I much prefer separating my Ca and Mg supplements if needed..CalNitrate, and epsom salts is what I use these days..

Again, as you well know, additives/supplements are, for the most part used if your based nutes were incomplete or lacking certain elements..It's fun to play with different products, if you have them laying around and can afford to experiment..I'm trying to finish off most of my bottled nutes and slowly working my way to dry ferts mostly and then raw salts..Will see, for now I'm a happy camper..:)

3. cyco coco is great stuff, its all i run

i used to run the botanicare cocogro bricks but more often then not, when broken up and hydrated, it would have that "salty" smell

although i never checked the starting runoff of the cocogro bricks, im sure the ppm/ec was pretty high

now with cyco, ive started testing every bag that i get. ive ran through probably 40(+-) bags

every time, right out of the bag, the ppm has never been over 50, .1ec, and the ph has never been over 6.1/6.2

imo, its very high quality. now if they would only add some trichoderma/mycorrhizae it would be right there w/ canna's coco

4. KK got way too many clones now that I started with scrogs, so I am wanting to put 10 in one gallon pots and just do a SOG in this small area I can dedicate too. All coco 1 gallon pots stuck in a catliner pan that really 2 plants can go in. Under a single 1k light using HG A&B, use the root stimulator into likely 2 wks flower with 2 weeks of veg time from Kushage clones. Kushage was a freebie and I really like the strain, seems quick enough and grows with a bunch of small flowers that tend to be tight as hell and the crystals just as good as Master Kush or nearly that of WW. Guess its a mix of Afghan an a OG not sure which OG so many out there now! Plus the plant is easy as shit to clone, nearly 80% using Coco and just regular rooting powder, guessing that HG root stimulator should help, hopfully.

So outside of the Root Stimulator, the foliar mix by HG is there one other product that will finish the round off to replace using Calmg somthing that will boost late flower if I start at flowering time? Right now I am using Calmg and have plenty also plenty of Potassium on hand with all the epson salt I'll ever need! Just trying to keep it simple and eliminate everything possible.

5. Yeah, I've got no problem with the actual product, just the application. I'm not 100% comfortable with half the base ec being made up with cal mag, I wouldn't do that myself. I could be wrong. It'll be interesting to see how it works in the side by side.

6. Oh no no mang, I'm with you man, there's no freaking way I would make 1/2 my base EC with calmag+..Fugg no man..:cool:
    I'm gonna finish off what I got leftover, and I may not buy another one..But you never know!.;)

7. i hear both of u guys on the 1/2 base of calmag but remember my water is 0.0ec
    arnt i just putting in wot u guys already have in ure water?
    i mean in ure water u have calcium and mg but i dont add to that calmag has a nice wee boost of nitrogen and it looks a smashing addition but as i say earlier lol all about opinions:p
    as u say cheecha side by side will maybe show a diffrence or maybe not lol

8. #168 cheecha, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
    If my water was 0.0 EC I still wouldn't make 1/2 my base ppms be Calmag+, that's crazy..As stated before, some peeps (including myself) use some form of CaMg supplement, but for me it depends where my base nute ratios are at..Or if my gals are screaming(like da wife)that they need something mang..
    Supposedly the Calmag in tap water is not as available to the plants b/c of the rather large molecular size..
    I used to supplement with CalMag plus all the time/ b/c some lines lack the levels I prefer..FWIW, I personally feel it's a good product from MHE..
    One particular System/line I'm running ATM, I've completely cut out using a Ca supplement, and only a slight boost in Mg via epsom salts..The line also has plenty(IMO) of Fe(iron) and is essential...

So, for me reading the girls first and knowing when and how to use calmag+ or any other additive/supplement based on where my ratios are at, is what matters in my garden(s)..

Cheers!..

9. Base feeds like formulex are are made up to provide a complete range of nutes starting from a base of zero. Now, some people say you need extra cal mag for some of these feeds if using ro/ec0 water. Personally I've never used either and therefore can't say for sure. I think you'll be ok either way . You're only adding 0.2 after all. The side by side will answer you for definite so just carry on as you are.

Keep us updated. They still looking good?

10. They lOoking fantastic:) healthiest seedlings I've seen in coco to be honest
    I'll get some pics up tonight must be ready to be put into the 1 litre pots
    One thing that may be connected to needing a pot up is one is going a wee tad pale so maybe a pot up and wee raise of ec of formulex will be good

11. #172 TheWatcher, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
    Post the pictures first fella, and we'll go from there. Potting up seedlings too early can be a delicate process and I wouldn't want you to risk damaging them at this early point.

Without seeing the pictures, I'd guess that they need to be on around 1.0ec of the formulex at that stage, in line with the guide. But post pics first and we'll keep them smooth.

Btw, needing a pot up won't make them pale. That thinking is related to compost growing where the soil has nutrients already in it. By potting up time, the plants have usually used all the nutes in the pot and lots of growers will just pot on at that point and the plant can feed from the new soil.
    In coco the plant won't get any new nutrition from a fresh pot of the stuff. The feeds will all come from you. So whether you're at seedling stage or any time after, if you see some paleness, just up the feed a touch.

12. i defo understand u watcher but think of this
    i have them in starter cups which can only hold so much nutrients
    like a 1 litre pot can hold more nutrients than a 3" starter cup simply because it can hold more coco
    im in no way saying that they should be potted up ill post the pics and u can advice but the pot size could affect a plant simply because the hold of coco can be more in a bigger pot altho in turn its all relative to size of plant right?
    thats was a wee bit of a head f#ck to type out but i think i got there lol

13. okay troops here goes lol
    photos of the seedlings in there small starter pots
    ec 0.4 ph 5.8-5.9 made up of .2 calmag and .2 formulex
    altho that will be changing next feed too .6 formulex on 2 and .4 formulex and .2 calmg on the other 2:)
    the pale one is also the smallest one in the last pic and on the group one the furthiest to the right:)

Attached Files:

14. I must have missed this post, sorry. Anyway, I understand your thinking, but put simply, a plant's size will be limited by the size of its root space but other than that it won't be affected unless it outgrows the container, and your plants are nowhere near doing that. They could be five times the bulk they are now and still be fine and green, so don't worry about that at all.

I wouldn't pot them up just yet. You're not far away though, a few days maybe.

15. no probs:) wasnt just popping shyt lol method to my madness:p
    yep they still look all good altho the little one has some burn on it maybe just a weak seedling it happens:)
    ill post some pics up tommorrow after i water/feed them:)

16. Subbed broony, curious to see how they turn out for you man..
    This me playing Freddie Prinze: "Looking Good"..;)
    Good luck!..

17. should be a fun ride and a steep learnign curve as this goes against wot ive done before which is not wot i normally do:p
    im a play it safe with soil and grab close to an ounce of each plant,i want more lmfao

18. Cool man. Any chance of a picture of the plants while they're under the light? Just to see how you've got them etc.

19. yep defo watcher gimme 5mins:)