A Beginner's Guide to Coco

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by TheWatcher, May 1, 2012.

1. Cool. Just got my rh/thermostat in the mail today to monitor what goes on the planned room. It's a 4x12x8' little room I didn't know existed when I bought this old victorian house. Turns out it has shelves and tool hangers that lead me to believe some old school (100 years) grower gave a go at this too:cool:

2. That's cool man and a good size GR.....

3. One time helping a friend do some work on a old house in Dandrige TN we busted into a secret cellar that was a part of the "underground railroad", it was so cool and very good size. Would of made a perfect grow but the house once done had to much value to make a grow out of it. Found a lot of neat old stuff including old uniforms that was given to the county historical museum.

4. Went down to the hydro store today to finally decide which way to go with feeding my coir babies and teenagers. I had all the seperate stuff such only thing I felt missing was a bottle of phosphorus, so I went that route. My babies are still vegging likely for another week get another inch or so before I flip them into a SOG but my teenagers are going to SCROG x4 an the others will just let go with some LST'ing. I was totally puzzled on what size pot for the SOG so I'm with 2 gallon was thinking that 1 gallon might just to it with Coir but....... Plus decided to hang yet another 1k light up in the single flowerroom here and just to the SOG and SCROG together and place individual plants in the middle. My main SCROGS have filled in their net most of the way an just now showing budsites. My teenagers or young adults are shooting pistols out of there little buds like crazy.

Almost everything is Kushage plus some bagseed plants that I really like but the superbud is about gone might be 3 left but that strain has to go! So now its all about keying in on one strain, Kushage, I really like the smoke coming from my Organic ones hoping that I can get a fairly good taste out of Coir but I don't expect it to be as tasty as my Organic ones but on the other hand maybe a tad stronger?

As I start my babies I overload them, this strain seems to like being pushed around, they seem like little whores just screaming give it to me! Got some in 2 weeks of flowering and they while kind of strangly have a ton of bud sites shooting out from everywhere, trim fan leaves and none really came back! Like that, little trimming at the end!

Most of my life I been involved in sales of some sort or another so my philosphy about plants is to give them everything and if they can not handle it dial it back. Like the sales table, throw everything out there, its easier to go down then up! Even in the Nurseries, I'm the one that usually ends up going out an selling, I'm not the best but I'm good at making the first contact.

You will find no PPM or EC meter in one of my grow rooms, never been technically good at anything in my life but I have always been the one that can make a go at it and look back an say "how did I do that again?" LOL Yet it is like everything else, get to know one an master it then jump to another and learn it. Next gene coming in I think is Critical but shit, there is a lot of various plants, just so many how can one narrow it down to just ONE?

5. seedlings are now a week old ish and just been upped too 0.6ec
    heres some photos:)
    first a group shot then individuals
    the one thats going lighter is the one i am worrying about,could be hunger? or mg ?

Attached Files:

6. #206 TheWatcher, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2012
    Right, personally I'd be on 1.0ec right now with mine - that's starting at 0.2, 0.8 if you're starting from 0.0 - That's how the guide's written so to be honest you might as well just get them on it. It makes no sense to mess around trying out a different way at this point. It's what I do so there's no point me advising you to try a way I'm not familiar with.

Also, raise that fluoro back up an inch or two higher. I'm on a T5 style light so I can have them virtually touching it, yours is more centralised so definitely move it up by about 3 more inches.

The marks on your paler seedling are just nutrient splash marks. But get it on a 1.0 ec feed tonight.

What are you using to ph down btw and how are you doing it?

7. no probs watcher ill get them on it tomorrows:)
    to be honest ph is working real good right now havnt had to touch it,been like 5.8-5.9 with just nutes so all good but i got those citric things u use outta tesco:)
    still in the small pots?

8. what's your ph straight out of the tap?

9. about 6.6-6.8 mate:)

10. When you mix up your 0.8 feed tomorrow, let me know what the ph is k?
    nice one.

11. okay with the drama the other night i know this post may be in vane but here goes
    mixed up 0.8 of pure formulex and that brought my water down to 5.5 ph
    instead of using ph+ i added about 10 drops of rhizotnic and that made ph5.8
    few photos 2 of the group both from side on and from up top
    photo of 2 from above and also the one that aint doing so great:)

Attached Files:

12. Looking good broony..keep doing what you're doing brother..:cool:

13. I'm fining coir to be pretty forgiving with the whole Ph thing, let me know if you find the same. Do me it seems that keeping a constant moisture level in the coir the key an expierments with wicks seem to be doing good so far, so hopefully it keeps up. Good show mate keep it up!

14. things feel so much more laid back and chill around here the last couple days.......

i wonder why

15. no one is stirring the shitpot

16. word

i think they should close this thread as well

there is nothing in here that you cant learn from Ed's guide

17. I learned alot from here. Ed's guide is great also, but quite a long read. I'm about half way through it

18. why would anyone close this thread?????
    a very helpfull thread that hasnt run its course yet!!
    if u dont like it dont read it but this thread is fine

19. I am quite indifferent about keepingit live or closed but broony is using it with his latest grow and he does seem very interested, so the thread should probably be let to run it's course. Kind of like our old report cards in grade school, Plays Well With Others.

My teachers always checked the Doesn't Play Well With Others box. :(

Let's :smoke:

20. its really a head scratcher why we would even consider closing this as its full of good info and also a diffrent grow approach than eds thread
    i mean i could pop into any thread and say hmmm i think we should close this thread
    dont think it would go down well