99 problems and smell is one

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by cannabull, Nov 18, 2011.

1. I am deep into flower and constantly battling smell issues that I can't figure out. I have a 171cfm fan and generic 4" carbon filter. With my initial setup I had the ducting set up like this: filter-reflector-fan-outside. I am growing in a very narrow space so there were three 180 turns in that path, I hypothesized this was reducing the fan efficiency enough to not make the filter work adequately.
    I've spent all week rearranging things and right now it is down to the absolute shortest path, running in a straight line filter-fan-outside. Altogether this stretches over less than 3 feet and it seems to have made the problem worse.

I'm buying ona regularly and it helps mask the smell a bit but this is getting to be a pain in the ass. I've also replaced all the ducting and taped the shit out of every joint to make sure there is no air being pulled in without going through the scrubber.
    Did I just get a shitty filter? thinking of trying one of those odor-sok filters. Also debating an ozone generator, are these effective?

2. ozone can be dangerous if you don't know what your doing, but yes, their super effective

first, whats the size of the grow space?

light(s) being used?

air cooled hood?

strain?

do you have a budget for stuff?

what color of socks are you wearing?

3. [quote name='"Tihspeed"']ozone can be dangerous if you don't know what your doing, but yes, their super effective

first, whats the size of the grow space?

light(s) being used?

air cooled hood?

strain?

do you have a budget for stuff?

what color of socks are you wearing?[/quote]

Grow space is under the stairs so odd shaped but usable area is about 4x4, in total roughly 120 cubic feet.

400 watt hps with air cooled hood. With the current setup the passive intake runs through the hood an just relies on negative pressure for cooling, previously the fan was pulling through the filter and the hood.

Strain is Jupiter og, stinky stuff.

Yes some budget but would rather not buy a new fan or anything expensive, the cap ozone generator is $120 or something and I would definitely buy if it solved my problems.

White socks.

4. do you have heat issues using such a small fan in that size of grow space?

what type of fan is it? 171 says to me its a ducting fan(fart fan)... those do not create enough pressure to ensure you can filter threw a carbon filter...

it stands to reason that the carbon filter was cheap and failed early... without knowing model numbers off the filter and fan its kind of a guessing game

you have some options...

get a larger inline fan and a fan speed adjuster... this creates the pressure needed to move air threw a filter... replace the carbon in the filter, fairly easy and cheap... should be problem solved...

or you could get the ozone generator... this is also cheap... you might not need a new fan if you can keep the grow space cool and the ozone generator will only restrict the fan a little... the one downside to the cap that you've suggested you'll get is the size... 25" x 4" x 2" try fitting that in your duct... you said it yourself that you only have three feet of ducting to out of the house... now by putting this in the ducting your reducing the effectiveness of the fan to cool the space... does this even fit in your size of ducting?

**** make sure your venting out of your house or a attic with a ozone generator

the cap ozone generator is super cheap and it is effective and has really great reviews.. but like im saying, its really large

Uvonair 1000 Junior
    this is more expensive, same good reviews and is slightly smaller...

I would strongly suggest that your ozone generator be in your exhaust ducting... you can put the generator in your grow space but you take the chance of giving yourself health problems, possible death and you could seriously harm your plants.... unless you know exactly how much ozone your producing per hour... 400mg per hour is the magic over/under

you also need to be able to access the unit every six months or unless you notice its not effective any longer... its a bulb that creates the ozone and must be cleaned between grows and possibly replaced

5. [quote name='"Tihspeed"']do you have heat issues using such a small fan in that size of grow space?

what type of fan is it? 171 says to me its a ducting fan(fart fan)... those do not create enough pressure to ensure you can filter threw a carbon filter...

it stands to reason that the carbon filter was cheap and failed early... without knowing model numbers off the filter and fan its kind of a guessing game

you have some options...

get a larger inline fan and a fan speed adjuster... this creates the pressure needed to move air threw a filter... replace the carbon in the filter, fairly easy and cheap... should be problem solved...

or you could get the ozone generator... this is also cheap... you might not need a new fan if you can keep the grow space cool and the ozone generator will only restrict the fan a little... the one downside to the cap that you've suggested you'll get is the size... 25" x 4" x 2" try fitting that in your duct... you said it yourself that you only have three feet of ducting to out of the house... now by putting this in the ducting your reducing the effectiveness of the fan to cool the space... does this even fit in your size of ducting?

**** make sure your venting out of your house or a attic with a ozone generator

the cap ozone generator is super cheap and it is effective and has really great reviews.. but like im saying, its really large

Uvonair 1000 Junior
    this is more expensive, same good reviews and is slightly smaller...

I would strongly suggest that your ozone generator be in your exhaust ducting... you can put the generator in your grow space but you take the chance of giving yourself health problems, possible death and you could seriously harm your plants.... unless you know exactly how much ozone your producing per hour... 400mg per hour is the magic over/under

you also need to be able to access the unit every six months or unless you notice its not effective any longer... its a bulb that creates the ozone and must be cleaned between grows and possibly replaced[/quote]

No heat issues, temp goes up 10 degrees when lights come on. It is a CAP centrifugal fan, exhausting outside. I've seen 4" filters that have a much lower cfm rating, is it possible that the fan is too strong for the filter I have? On a whim I ordered an odor sok this afternoon, rated 190 cfm and for $30 figured it was worth a shot.

I was looking at the CAP ozn-1, looks like a power strip that I could just hang on the wall but just noticed it was 12 pounds. Haven't been able to find dimensions on it anywhere. It does also cover 5500 cubic feet, so maybe a bit overkill for me.
    Better off with something like this ? http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemdesc.asp?ic=AOCBBAB&eq=&Tp=
    I could place it right next to the filter so it mostly gets sucked straight out.

6. What filter do you have? You said generic carbon filter, my guess is that it was packed poorly so smell is leaking through. Happened to me, bought a nice large phresh filter, smell went bye bye.

7. 1st off get a can of ozium

2nd of all im curious about your other 98 problems?

8. that could work... i've seen a thread that used that ball and they said it worked... also they frequency of the ozone must be something specific to not harm plants as well.. so check into that before purchase...

Ozone Output: Hi: .06ppm .018 gr/hr; Lo: .02ppm .006gr/hr

all you have to do is keep your MG to less than 400