99.9%

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Deleted member 351711, Jun 30, 2012.

1. 99.9% is the absolute most that we could ever possibly "know". No matter how hard we try, we cannot "know" 100% of the universe. It just can't be done. Reason being, we are on the inside looking out, and not the outside looking in. There is no outside of existence so there would be no way to view existence in full. We view from first person, and not third. The only way we can see ourselves is to look at a reflection of our self. Or some image. We can never truly see the real us. We are the .1%

Knowing that, is seeing necessary to know? Does faith and belief really deserve to be dragged through the dirt? Is "knowing" the purpose, or is it feeling? We can never truly see ourselves, but we can always be aware or ourselves and know of our existence. Is "knowing" actually knowing?

Just felt like posting something. Feels like I haven't posted in the philosophy section in forever.

2. perspective.....
    of what we...humans....know it is possible know much indeed..... a few hrs/days in a library and one could know all sorts of shit....
    if one has faith that the things in those books are true....

now...compaired to what there is to know on a universal scale...we dont know shit...
    we are still rapidly distroying the one part of the universe which we are certain we can survive.... we still kill one another so that some men can rule over rhe rest.....

no my friend....99.9.......no..... we dont know shit...

3. I'm saying 99.9 would be all would ever be capable of knowing if we somehow were able to get that far. True, things are being destroyed, but do you honestly believe life will be destroyed beyond repair, causing the end?

4. of coarse i believe it will all come to an end..
    even the stars have an end in thier cycle.... everything which begins...also ends....
    now when it will end......not one clue... how much of it will be our fault? remains to be seen....

5. Stars aren't life tho. Stars are just a part of life. Life is everything. I just don't believe in everything coming to an end. I don't believe something came from nothing. I just think there was always a constant something. Guess that's where faith comes into play.

6. You can only be 99.9% sure of that.

How can you know that we won't devise a way to measure from a "non-existance" perspective? How do you know there is not a third option besides existence and non-existence?

Your entire premise on what we can know is based on incomplete knowledge.

7. If you think about it, if you could get close to knowing everything, the revelations probably slow down dramatically. You might think you know everything for a few million years, and then something else comes along. You could end up knowing everything except that you know everything.

8. There will always be something we don't know. The universe is always one step ahead. It's like running to the edge of a cliff, then once you think you're gonna fall off, the cliff extends another step, and keeps doing it every time you take another step. The universe just knows. It's always a step ahead. I have faith in existence. I don't believe in an end of it

9. There will never be an end, as there was never a beginning. The idea that we can ever really know anything, never mind 99.9% of it, only gets in the way. As soon as you think you know something you perceive to be objective, you're no longer truly open to seeing the truth. Knowing yourself, and your relation to the universe, is the key. Everything comes from this - there is nothing to know or hold on to on the mental plane. Once you understand this, everything falls into place.

10. #10 Mogwai, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2012
    Eh, I won't buy it. I think given enough time a species could understand and comprehend all that creates reality. And perhaps humans is one of those species.

Really we're a very very young species living on a very very young planet. We currently haven't existed for a blinks worth of time in the timeline of the universe. However imagine we last, and that wen live, say, 25-50% of the time left in the life of the universe (because it will end in time).

That's unlikely, but not impossible, so it's a valid argument in such a speculative discussion. If we've developed as much as we have in such a small amount of time, where could we be when we make it millions of times further.

I think there is an intellectual horizon. Maybe anyway. But will that horizon ever prevent us from understanding all there is to know? Could limitations in physics prevent any brain from developing the capacity to understand so much? You and I will never know.

You can say we can only be 99% certain of anything, but you can only be 99% sure of that assertion by that logic. So therefore it's possible we can become 100% sure of what reality is.. given a long enough timeline of course.

Time will tell but it won't tell the people alive today. Shit sucks, buying think of we survive long enough well understand it all. Maybe anyway. Perhaps I'm just optimistic or perhaps I'm just too drunk, but it's certainly possible

No doubt existence ends though. Everything ends, including time and the universe. Unless we or another life form become smart and capable enough to prevent that from happening. Which, while veerrrrrrrry unlikely, is still technically possible.

11. That's what I'm saying. I'm not saying we should try to know 99.9 %. I'm saying there is no way to now 100% unless you believe in .1%. It's impossible. And I don't like to say impossible. That .1% is the most important percentage of all. And that .1% is our being. Our everlasting existence that so many people don't believe in because they don't "know" it to be 100% legit. We don't "know" it, but we feel it. Once that .1% is understood, nothing else matters, making that .1%, 100%. In a way

12. It's nice we agree. :) :smoke:

13. when the sun eventually gets to the size of a... fuck forget what its called.. red giant? when its about to explode and be a supernova. the actual mass of the sun will be so big it will extend past the earth.. bye bye earth, but no worries thats not for a while