92 accord died..

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Lanny17, Feb 28, 2013.

1. So I was driving for maybe 5 minutes and my oil light and battery light went on as my car stalled . Brakes and gas cut out and it won't start now. Battery is fine and jump starting doesn't work .. Any ideas gc ? :/

2. Mechanic?

3. spark plugs maybe? did you check your fluids, im no mechanic, but i know some basic stuff

4. Wow, just wow.

Oil light came on and your battery light came on.

First thing I would do if check the oil. If oil is ok, check all other fluids. If everything is everything then I'm going to assume it's electrical because the battery light flashed.

Do you have any CELs? What happens when you try to start it? Do you have interior lights? Headlights?

You need to answer every question clearly for any hope of help for people here.

BTW Make sure your fuckin CEL light works. It should light up at some point when you go through the process of trying to start the car.

5. hmm thats odd that it died as you were driving, could be the oil tho i doubt it unless u havent changed it in like a year.. might be a sparkplug but its hard to know since we cant cant see/hear the problem.

go to da machanic

6. Check your oil. You could have locked it up, will it crank at all?

7. Vapor lock? The lights came on because it already stalled. :smoke:

There is a possibility of a condition called "Vapor Lock" in which on hot temperatures, air bubbles form inside the fuel line, and dont allow the fuel to reach the injectors. One the line cools down, the vapor goes away, and car starts uneventfully. Have the fuel lines checked for leaks or abnormalities. The other possibility is that the EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) relay or computer unit is acting up. These units usually start to fail when hot, and work normally after the engine compartment cools down.

From: Car won't start. It turns over but won't start. Wait 10-15 - FixYa

8. Timing belt......

9. I was gonna suggest this too, it may have jumped a few teeth. I doubt he's inclined to diagnose it himself though.

10. #10 jmick, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2013
    These engines are interference style, which means the valves interfere with the pistons if the timing belt breaks....meaning you usually end up with bent valves and looking for a used head....

He could try turning it over with a socket and ratchet on the main pulley nut, to see if it turns freely or stops at a certain point....

11. Oh trust me, I know haha

12. Good thing about it is these cars are so common and last so long you can pick up a low milage engine for 5 to 8 hundred bucks....just be sure to do the timing belt and water pump when you install it.....

13. If he wants to check the belt he can pop off the plastic cover that is over it. Should just be a few bolts.

14. [quote name='"Shaaaft"']Wow, just wow.

Oil light came on and your battery light came on.

First thing I would do if check the oil. If oil is ok, check all other fluids. If everything is everything then I'm going to assume it's electrical because the battery light flashed.

Do you have any CELs? What happens when you try to start it? Do you have interior lights? Headlights?

You need to answer every question clearly for any hope of help for people here.

BTW Make sure your fuckin CEL light works. It should light up at some point when you go through the process of trying to start the car.[/quote]

Oil change done 2 weeks ago .. I have all my light even the radio works. When I try to start it it just makes the initial sound over and over. No clunks or anything weird Like that .

15. [quote name='"ICGreen"']Vapor lock? The lights came on because it already stalled. :smoke:

There is a possibility of a condition called "Vapor Lock" in which on hot temperatures, air bubbles form inside the fuel line, and dont allow the fuel to reach the injectors. One the line cools down, the vapor goes away, and car starts uneventfully. Have the fuel lines checked for leaks or abnormalities. The other possibility is that the EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) relay or computer unit is acting up. These units usually start to fail when hot, and work normally after the engine compartment cools down.

From: Car won't start. It turns over but won't start. Wait 10-15 - FixYa[/quote]

I'd see this as more likely if it wasn't -15 right now .. Lol

16. [quote name='"JPR"']Check your oil. You could have locked it up, will it crank at all?[/quote]

It cranks and my belt turns but it just doesn't roll over

17. So it turns over. You aren't getting spark or your not getting fuel. Diagnose those systems. I'm too tired tight now to type on my phone but Google it. Look for accord forums and search around.

Good luck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ganja Power

18. i think there is something called a cdi box...

your spark plugs could not be getting enough juice, im guessing?...if you got the cash, i'd go to a mechanic, and figure out whats wrong

19. So the lights turn on, accessories work, the starter engages, the engine turns over, but it won't fire?

It's obviously missing either fuel or ignition. Do you hear the fuel pump hum when you turn the key to on? If yes check to see if there is fuel pressure. If yes, I would doubt it's fuel related.

I have a good feeling it's a faulty relay, or something in the ignition system.

20. After you have checked the timing belt, which was a very good suggestion, check for spark. These motors have a common problem in the distributor, (coil-ignitor).Many times you can replace the distributor cheaper than it's internals.