89% Of Food Stamps Squandered On Junk Food

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sgtstadanko707, May 17, 2014.

1. It doesnt help that the cheapest foods available are invariably the unhealthiest.

Dont blame the people, blame the society that allows those processed foods to be more available than healthy food

2. Okay After skimming the article, sometimes the people are to blame.

3. #4 Jimmy Carter, May 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2014
    Its both the people and the fact that quality food is not easy to get for someone with food stamps.

Just saw at a gas station the other day a sign on the window that said "All Rockstar energy products now EBT approved"

[​IMG]

4. I feel like if it was a family of 3 it's wouldn't be so hard to buy quality food. When you feeding 5-8 mouths it would be impossible. We need to be like china and limit family sizes. There is no need for someone to be having 6 children. I love having kids. We'll I don't love supporting your 6 kids.

5. I just saw our local jack in the crack with a big sign now excepting ebt.

6. While I agree in principal, no one should have more kids than they can take care of properly, especially someone like that broad in the article "and I dont even know who 4 of the fathers are"....

Its tricky business. More government oversight is never good, but at the same time, yes people need to stop popping out kids they cant even take care of.

What would fix that? Abortion, and making it a crime to harass abortion clinics (yes I know that goes against what I just said about the gov) Guess what people, accidents fucking happen, and its more cruel to bring a kid up in poverty than it is to realize that sometimes a kid just is not a good fucking idea.

basically the smear campaign against abortion and the women who utilize it needs to end.

7. The sad thing is if these people had the knowledge to grow a garden they would have more money to spend on things that would improve there lives. You know like decent clothes and a formal education.

8. #9 garrison68, May 17, 2014
    We'd be better off to pay women, like the one in the interview with six kids, to get sterilized.   Give them a new car, a few thousand dollars in cash, or other perks, and the taxpayers will save millions in food stamps, welfare, medicaid, etc., payments that would have been spent on her, her future offspring, and their children. 

9. Weird... if I do a google search for "the Malbeck Data Institute" (the first step in researching any article), the ONLY hits I get are links to this article.

They don't even have a webpage?   They've done no other studies?  

I call bullshit.

10. Penelope has it right. Pure conservative propaganda.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. Got to love it when someone takes the extra couple seconds to put some critical thought into something.. see the lack of it all the time, someone posts something from someone else, but doesn't take that extra minute amount of effort to look into said someone.

12. #13 BlazedGlory, May 17, 2014

Yeah I mean I thought it had the ring of bullshit when they mentioned the "telltale sign of white powder around his nose". Like really? I didn't actually look into it but it smelled like bullshit to me.

Oh yeah and people saying it's expensive to eat properly, it really isn't. You can get eggs in bulk for cheap, you can get kilograms of rice for cheap. Fresh vegetables and cuts of meat are relatively expensive, but you can get pounds of ground beef that's not too expensive for the amount of nutrition you get out of it. You can eat properly on a budget.

13. While the article was obviously biased it does bring up a rising problem about people wasting their food stamps on crap.  Why on earth is my tax money being spent getting "food" from a gas station? 

I've always thought this would be a great idea.  Spend a little now, save a lot in the future.  Would also help with population control.

14. The article is not just biased. It appears to be completely fabricated. There is no evidence that this study even exists, let alone what the methods or criteria were.

If, as you say, this is a "real problem", then work with facts, not shit that has been made up.

Food stamp recipients get a finite amount each month. If they spend it all on Oreos or kale, they are still free human beings, and it makes no difference in how much I'm spending. It's not like if someone spends all their snap benefits on junk food, they can just request more money.

It's propaganda (that goes back to the Reagan years) designed to create the image of the slovenly, unhealthy, mooching poor person. Taking YOUR hard earned money.

15. I said rising problem and this is based on ever increasing cost of the Snaps program.  Spending doubled between 2008 and 2013.  

SNAP offers nutrition assistance to millions of eligible, low-income individuals and families and provides economic benefits to communities.

Does junk food really offer any nutritional assistance or benefit to the community?  Or would you like me to show facts proving the negative impact of junk food?

16. #17 JohnnyWeedSeed, May 17, 2014
    I really don't care what they are buying with it. What pisses me off is that I am being stolen from to pay for whatever it is they are buying. I will however, and have, called people out right in the checkout line for buying ridiculous shit on food stamps. So glad I could bust my balls all week so you can stuff your fat face with ho-hos, ice cream and Pepsi. Pisses me the hell off.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Funny how these tea party nut jobs had absolutely no problems with the billions in corporate well fair . The bush tax cuts alone could pay for snap benefits for 10 years not to mention the unfounded wars. The money given to the farm subsidy with out snap could pay for every American to get benifits but no cares about that because it goes to rich white farmers. Let me tell you this if I was unfortunate enough to be on snap and some low info tea party jerk had the gaul to say something ( they never would I'm 6ft 4 inches 275 lbs) they would get punched straight in they face.

18. Why is this surprising? What did you expect, people who can barely afford a place to live to be using their food stamp money to be eating at gourmet restaurants?

So you don't care, but you'll judge them anyway?