Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

80 yr old F needs CBD advice 4 severe back pain

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Help4mom, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Hi there,

My mother is 80 and suffers from debilitating back pain, made worse by surgery two years ago.

She has a Vicodin prescription but is VERY sensitive to the side-effects of narcotics like Vicodin and even Valium. By sensitive, I meant that even 2.5 mgs of Vicodin leaves her unable to do anything other than lay down and sleep. Mom wants to be able to go out and "have a life" (her words) while also being pain free.

Mom has never smoked weed but has tried some CBD creams and a couple of CBD oils (brands unknown) without luck.

Given how she reacts to narcotics, she needs to stay away from THC.

I personally think she needs to try smoking. I use edibles for my back, but edibles will not be good for her because she needs to be able to control dosing and effect in real time. (Mom is impatient and, if she doesn't feel the effect fairly quickly, she will likely consume more -- and we all know how that can go. If she has a bad trip, guarantee she is calling 911.)

So, this is what I need:

1. Strains that have virtually no THC and can be purchased in or around San Francisco CA. (I read about one called "Dancehall" but it does not seem to be available here).

2. Advice re starting an 80 year old woman on a weed journey. What is the best way to introduce her to smoking? Pipe, joint, vaping?

3. If you have used oils or cream for severe back pain, she is still open to trying different brands/types, so that advice is also welcomed.

Any help you can give will be much appreciated. To give you an idea re how bad it is, this is from an email today: "My problem is not only pain, but the sleepiness from any medication I take which makes me, useless, and unable to drive. I've become a total recluse. So, as far as I'm concerned, I may as well not exist.":(

Many thanks in advance for your help.

2. Why does she need to stay away from THC???

Taking THC/weed is nothing like taking any pain meds a docs given you....

It works pretty much instantly for me via smoking.. I can go from having pain to having none at all & pain meds take 30/40 mins to work for me

• Like Like x 2
  3. #3 Help4mom, Jul 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Thanks. I get that and appreciate your input.

That said, I can't risk her experiencing the psychoactive effects of THC. I know how my mother reacts to things and I also know what THC does to my body, so there is no room for taking a chance here.

I get that THC helps some people, but I would prefer to not debate, in this thread, whether THC will help her. It isn't just me: She has also done her reading and would prefer to stick with high CBD/little-to-no THC.

Thanks!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1

4. CBD might help her hopefully you find something that works

5. She might have trouble sleeping without the opiods, and THC can help with that, best in the form of indica edibles.
    During the day vaping a high CBD strain that contains a little THC (10 or 20 to 1 ratio) might work best, and won't have significant psychoactivity.
    A 5 mg THC edible at night shouldn't give her very much psychoactivity, and could prove to her that THC is really OK.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks! She has never had any trouble sleeping, so the is not a concern. If she does, a melatonin usually knocks her into a coma. OL. (She is seriously sensitive.)

I have read about 20:1 strains -- are those basically the highest CBD/ lowest THC products available?

7. First thing to try is a Sativa strain, so that she is not sleepy... i would have her smoke with a good vapourizer... I cannot take narcotics either, so I can't eat edibles! as my stomach can't handle it either..
    But you have to watch for CBD effects as Well!
    My friend cannot smoke CBD as he will white out, get sick, pass out! Me too probably, and we have been smoking for 35years...He eats edibles I think smoking and eating have different tolerances... you have to find what works by trying different methods...my Mom just tried it for the first time 84 yrs old
    She felt a little loopy lol giggling, she had No pain or no need for pain pills...it was a cookie with a very low dose of thc and cbd, she ate very little...
    My Mom was in the hospital before this and given a morphine type drug, and she was hallucinating, it was the worst!! So I had second thoughts about her trying an edible, but it didn't affect her negatively... just thought i would share my experience
    I hope all goes well!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thank you TPG -- your post brought up things I had not considered. Much appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  9. #9 old shol4evr, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    delete

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thank you OS. I appreciate your taking the time to provide guidance. Much appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. #11 old shol4evr, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    delete

• Like Like x 1
  12. I guess one ad deserves another.
    Instead of paying 18 cents per mg hemp, how about 3 cents?
    Hemp Extract Oil Advanced

13. #13 BrewsnWeed666, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018

Reported again billy advertising is against the rules.. you've literally spam posted the same thing on 9 different threads.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Advertising is against the rules dude lol

15. Your VerY Welcomelet us know how things go!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk