8" inline fan exhaust to 4"

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by 27&Dd, Oct 1, 2016.

1. I have a 10" inline fan because I read that the sound is more manageable when speed is reduced ..

I was thinking maybe doing a roof exhaust..or hole saw out the side.

dryer exhausts are really small... has anyone had the same issue?

Grasscity Forum

2. By "inline fan" are you talking about a duct booster style fan? The reason a duct booster fan is quieter is because they are only supplemental to a main fan. Duct boosters are designed for airflow(AF) while main fans are Static Pressure(SP). SP fans are designed to force air in a direction without any of if coming back through when having to force air through tight or crowded areas, such as a filter. AF fans are great for moving large amounts of free-flowing, unobstructed air.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SP
    [​IMG]

AF
    [​IMG]
    Easy way to tell what type of fan.
    The large gaps in AF fans have a tendency to lose air due to backpressure but are relatively cheaper "per CFM".

• Like Like x 2
  4. Also, SP fan blades have less pitch in the blades than AF, meaning they "scoop" less air per rotation than an AF fan with blade a 45' angle. Saying all this so you don't waste money on a fan that doesn't meet your design goals.

The size in inches is less important than the amount of air you can move and need to move.
    How big is the area you need to vent?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thank you for the time and research.

I just got my tape measure in the mail. Today I will give you a rough estimate of the area.

I currently have an 8" diameter fan blowing at/up ..maybe a 6" diameter , repurposed old wood burning stove shoot.

The make-shift, blackout-paper, dividing room walls --that I hung up are all shaking with what I believe to be negative pressure. However, I still have an aroma escaping the enclosed area.

From what you've shared, I think it's fair to say that there is a kickback from the stove shoot. I have lowered the speed of the fan, and the smell is still noticeable.

I may have to purchase a hole saw and make an official vent/statement.

Grasscity Forum

6. Are you using a duct reducer? How do you have these 2 connected?
    8 in. to 6 in. Round Reducer-R8X6 - The Home Depot

7. I wouldn't waste money on a hole saw you might only use once, you can make a large circle with a drill and sawzall, or just a drill.
    Edit- if you are using an old chimney for exhaust it's probably not sealed well enough to stop the smell from escaping.

8. Pick up a router bit kit for a dremel, if you dont have a dremel..... get a dremel, most useful tool ever made.

• Like Like x 1
  9. #10 27&Dd, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    My air flow is not up to par. Here are the measurements of the grow area.

15'x10'x10' = (LxWxH)
    1,500 sq ft.

8" Fan moves 770 CFM.

All the air -doesn't have to remove every minute, does it?

If the opening is only 4" than 175 CFM is just not enough.

I used 2 rolls of duct tape. Believe it or not it looks like the vent pipe has a reducer on it already. 6" to maybe 4"... I will take pictures of the inadequacies for your amusement tomorrow.

Grasscity Forum

10. Do they have duct splitters? Is that even a thing?

Maybe I can use more than one hole for one exhaust.

Grasscity Forum

11. As long as ur fan isn't a turd, going from 10" to 4" shouldn't change a lot aside from the wind velocity in the pipe. 10" duct is enough to clear a fairly large room. 4" can easily flow enough air for any beginner grow.

12. #16 27&Dd, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    Yeah , how often should a room be cleared out? Because all I have is a little rectangle of a space 150sq ft. The ceiling is 10ft though!

And that really makes the fan I'm using functionally obsolete.

Grasscity Forum

13. I think it's every last cubic foot of air, every 5 minutes. Not sure how big your box is.