8,000 lumens enough? other lighting questions inside

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by aabbcc, Jul 6, 2006.

1. ok im thinking about getting 2 of these:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/FLUOREX-COMPACT...2QQihZ015QQcategoryZ42225QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

would these work well in a grow room?

they're 2,000 per bulb, so if i got 2 of them it would be 8,000 total. the grow area is a little over 4 square feet and will grow either 1 or 2 plants. so would that be enough?

also, the bulbs included in the auction are a blue spectrum bulb which is good for vegging right? when i want to flower i could just replace the bulbs with "warm white" bulbs and use the same fixtures correct?

any and all help is appreciated! :hello:

2. I did the math, looked on at lowes. And your going to spend $80, this is if your buying in US dollers, on two of those. Thats with shipping,$15. At Lowes, the light fixture is 10 for one, and thats 150watts, so thats $20. That bulbs are about $9 each, we're at 46, And those bulb slitters are about $5. SO if you bought everything apart, you save your slef like $25. Just trying to save your self some money here lol.

3. Yes. 8,000 lumens is defiantly enough. Well, from what i know of.

At the moment, for veg, i'm using 2 x 80w flourecent tubes...Putting out probably about the same amount of lumens, i'm not too sure though.

8,000 lumens will produce a nice plant. Not "THE BEST" plant but a good one for sure.

4. i need the best solution possible for $90-$100 or less.

its a real small grow room, and its only going to be 1 or 2 plants.

should i get 2 of these light kit off ebay (in first post) or should i be looking at something else in the same price range?

researching lighting is really frustrating

5. If you want what your looking at on ebay, just buy everything apart. I mean you will save your self like $25 and you could use that on soil and pots or fans or what ever. Or could look on ebay for a small hps. I was going to do this mod: Click Here But I got more money. Its only like $90 total. May still do it for a flower box when time comes.

6. If your looking to have only a couple plants tops then CFL's are the way to go. Wal-Mart has 2,700 lumen CFL's for $9.00 each. Pick up a socket for $2.00 and a dual socket adaptor for another $2.00. So for around $25.00 you will have 5400 lumen. hang 2 sets of these and they will cover 2 plants just fine and yield 10,800 lumen. You won't have a reflector but I really don't see the need as you can hang the CFL's within a couple of inches of the top of the plants. Total cost around $60.00US. These bulbs would be red spectrum which will be like a HPS so you can use the same bulbs all through the grow.

7. wow....you could lite up a ball park when your plants are in veggy sleep time