7th Police Officer Killed In 2 Years - Philadelphia

Discussion in 'General' started by IGotTheCottons, Feb 14, 2009.

1. #1 IGotTheCottons, Feb 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2009
    Yo... I party 1 street away from where this happened... Like... All the time... Haha, I need to find a new area to party.

It's also about a half mile south of where another cop was shot to death in a Dunkin Donuts not too long before this.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20090213_Philadelphia_police_officer_shot__killed.html

\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\tPosted on Fri, Feb. 13, 2009 \t\t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t\t\t

\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t \t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t \t\t \t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t \t\t\tPhiladelphia police officer shot, killed

\t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tBy Rita Giordano, Andrew Maykuth, and Barbara Boyer\t\t\t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t\t\t\tINQUIRER STAFF WRITERS
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t Another Philadelphia police officer has been gunned down in the line of duty, this time in an apparent shoot-out tonight in front of the Olney Transportation Center. The officer, identified as John Pawlowski, 25, was the first to be killed in the line of duty this year. The officer was recently married and his wife is pregnant with their first child.
    The shooting happened shortly after 8 in an exchange of gunfire between two officers and two men near Broad Street and Olney Avenue. What precipitated the violence was not immediately available. There were reports the police officers were responding to a call of a report of a fight on the highway.
    The officer was taken to nearby Albert Einstein Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead shortly before 9 p.m.
    At the emergency room entrance and inside the hospital tonight, scores of uniformed and nonuniformed officers milled about, some weeping and hugging each other as word spread of the officer's death.
    "I don't know what happened. I just know we have one man dead," said John McNesby, president of Lodge Five of the Fraternal Order of Police.
    Others gathered there included Larry McDonald, father of Sgt. Patrick McDonald, who was fatally shot in September.
    Larry McDonald was at a fund-raiser tonight for another fallen officer, Sgt. Timothy Simpson, when he learned that yet another officer was down. Simpson died Nov. 17, 2008, of injuries sustained in an automobile accident.
    Police Commissioner Charles H. Ramsey and Mayor Nutter were also at Einstein comforting the slain officer's family.
    In the moments after the shooting, officers flooded the scene looking for one of the suspects and attempting to render aid.
    Early police reports indicated that one suspect was taken into custody and the other was taken to Einstein with bullet wounds. The dead officer's partner may have been grazed by a bullet.
    The slain officer was assigned to the 35th District.
    The area where the shooting took place includes SEPTA's Olney Transportation Center and is near two large high schools.
    It also is about a half-mile south of where Officer Charles Cassidy was fatally wounded by gunfire on Oct. 31, 2007, after interrupting a robbery at a doughnut store.
    The two other officers killed last year were Officer Isabel Nazario, 40, who died Sept. 5 after her patrol car was struck by a stolen SUV in the Mantua section, and Sgt. Stephen Liczbinski, 39, who was killed May 3 by one of three bank robbers after a Saturday morning stickup at a bank office in Port Richmond.

Contact staff writer Barbara Boyer at 215-854-2641 or bboyer@phillynews.com.

2. Sucks ***** got killed, but I got no love for the police.

3. lol so what the fuck are they being taught in the academy if the street makes better shooters?

Waste of tax dollars right there haha

4. They are taught to hold their fire.

Gangsters aren't.

It only takes one bullet.

5. Normally I'd agree... But this was a shoot-out... With multiple shots being fired by each side...

In this case... The "bad guys" had better aim...

6. Well that will do it to.

I'm not saying that this was the case, but cops can tend to become a little cocky.

These cats pull no punches and have no problem with killing a "pig"

Its like losing to a team without a victory because of under preparation.

7. Yeah man... The Philly cops I've met all seem to think they're all hot shit... I wonder when they're gonna realize that they're in areas where people don't care about that badge...

8. idc who it is, no one should be murdered.

9. I hope you don't think we were saying he deserved it, because I didn't mean that in the least.

10. When they walk up to do their jobs they know what can happen.

Keep lookin for trouble your eventually gonna find it and its not pretty.

11. I have to respectfully disagree. I can think of many things a person could do that would make me feel they deserved to be taken out. Don't get me wrong, though. I'm not saying THIS particular cop did any of those things. I don't know him personally, so I can't really say for sure, ya know? He could have been a great guy for all I know.

But if you knew how much corruption went on in Philadelphia's police force, and what some of those pigs do to people, you might change your opinion on that..

Just for the record. A homie of mine is dead 'cause the COPS refused to believe an EYE WITNESS who told them he was shot. They let him stay where he was, bleeding to death (they thought he was wasted on drugs, and that's why he couldn't move). Eventually they moved him, saw all the blood, and got him to a hospital... Too little too late...

Do I feel those cops (the ones who let my friend die) deserve to have their lives taken from them in exchange? Absolutely. Do I believe the person who shot my friend should have their life taken from them? You bet your ass. Do I know that neither of those things will bring my friend back? Yes - but at least then justice will have been served... At least that's my opinion. Not saying anyone has to agree.

12. Im sorry to hear about your friend man.

On a happier and more delicious note, it would be greatly appreciated if you could run some Gino's over.

13. #13 IGotTheCottons, Feb 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2009
    Thanks man... And mmmmmmm :) I sorta like Pat's a lil better tho... But Ginos is still mad good too.

14. good riddence