720W LED Diesel Ryder Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Bad Karma 8, May 25, 2010.

1. A quick update, I lowered the lights down to 8" since it seems so many have started to autoflower already.
    My grow yo-yo's didn't extend down far enough, so I brought the plants up to them (with the help of some currently unused potting containers).

I've got to get some different chemicals, the ph up that I have is messing with the plants.
    I'll have to make a trip to the hydro store this weekend and find something on the cheap.

[​IMG]

2. Nice looking setup BK8! What are those new wave plant stands? They look cool. .V.

3. Air pots!!!!!
    Awesome!!
    I've really wanted to try some they sound amazing!
    How much did they set you back out of interest?
    All lookin good over here
    :hello:

4. Glad you like my set-up Viper & Ruthlessartwork :)
    The air-o-pots (or whatever you'd like to call them) will be used in the flowering tent for my next grow
    (featuring the Jack Herer & Purps that are currently in my veg tent).
    The pots are 6.5 gallons each, so there should be plenty of root space to grow my Jack & Purps nice and tall.
    If I remember correctly, they cost me around $11 each.

5. First off, I'm an idiot.
    I had a failed small hydro grow earlier this year, I thought due to water temps and light getting through the reservoir to cause bacteria.
    It really didn't cross my mind that the nutes and ph chemocals the hydro kit came with could have been to blame.
    Well apparently, they were/are.

When I flushed my garden several days ago due to the signs of nute burn, I used ph adjusted water to flush my plants for a couple days.
    Since then they have deteriorated in color quickly, only the fresh growth on top will stay green.
    The little branches and leaves towards the bottom of each plant are dying off quick.
    I think I may have poisoned my soil with bad ph chemicals, because this same kind of deterioration is what happened in my hydro.
    The only other explanation I can think of is that there are too many chemicals or metals in my tap water, which I water the garden with.
    I have a small Brita water filter pitcher that I'll probably use to purify the garden's water from now on.
    It's just going to take some time to do due to the size of the filter and the speed at which it works.

So later tonight after I finish a couple of papers for school, I'm going to transplant my entire garden (My 9 {hopefully female} Diesel Ryders) into fresh soil.
    If the soil is bad, it's bad, and needs to be replaced ASAP.
    It's my best option since I already have untainted soil and don't really have the money to be investing in a batch of chems and meters to fix this.
    I'll just have to dig each plant out carefully and get as much of the soil off the root structure as gently as I can.
    Hopefully this will save my potential gals, but it will slower their progress down for sure.
    Sorry everybody :(

6. Thats horrible :(

Sorry bro, hope things pull through.

7. #47 Bad Karma 8, Jun 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2010
    Thanks, me too.
    I just finished changing over the 9 Diesel Ryders, I should have an idea in about 24 hours of how they are coping. I also pulled the lights back up to 18" so I wouldn't stress the plants out further with too much light right now.

I'm pretty sure it was the ph chemicals that are the culprit.
    Because I accidentally used some of the ph adjusted water in the veg tent a few days ago and now the Jack & Purps seedlings are suffering too.
    As a precautionary measure, I dipped into my seed bank (aka the fridge) an am soaking a Seedsman feminized Power Africa seed overnight.
    Tomorrow night I'll put it in a fresh 1 gallon pot of soil (coa-coa, whatever) and give it only purified water to drink.
    I guess you could also call it a controlled experiment to help me figure out whats going wrong in my garden.
    I went with the Power Africa over more Jack or Purps seeds since PA has a fair amount of skunk genetics in it.
    Hopefully those resilient genetics will come in handy should there be total loss of current seedling.
    As I would rather save my Jack seeds for when I've got things sorted out to where they can flourish.
    I would just take 4 clones from this feminized Power Africa mother at or around the 2 month mark and start vegging them in the flowering tent.
    Giving each girl her own personal LED spotlight (1 plant = 1 180W Jumbo UFO) for her entire vegatative and flowering life.
    That's a worse case scenario though, lets keep hoping the Jack Herer seedlings pull through (I'd say Purps too, but they look especially bad).

8. The Diesel Ryders are handling their transplant okay so far.
    No extra droopy leaves, none of that stuff.
    If anything, they seem happier.

I transplanted all 3 Jack Herer seedlings to new 1 gallon pots with fresh coco/soil.
    I also planted the feminized Power Africa (Skunk/Haze x Durban Poison) in a fresh 1 gallon pot as well.
    Although, the PA seed had sunk to the bottom of the glass of water it was soaking in by the time I went to plant it (which isn't the best of signs).
    The Purps are more or less fried, I'm leaving them in veg tent anyways to see if they can recover somehow.
    No transplants for the Purps since I have plenty more of those seeds in the bank and they seem pretty far gone already.

9. #49 Bad Karma 8, Jun 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2010
    Just had a chat with a local dispensary owner about the Sacramento water.
    It seems to be some of the worst in California in terms of hard water.
    She told me they use a reverse osmosis filter to purify their gardens water, which is expensive for me right now.
    I'll stick to my little Pur water filter for now and see if it makes a difference with the Power Africa (Skunk/Haze x Durban Poison) seedling I'm growing.
    Outside of that seedling, the rest of my garden isn't looking very good :(

I'm going to have to invest in a reverse osmosis filter, I don't think there's any way around it.

10. I found an R.O. filter on e-bay some time ago, (3 years)! And is runs like clockwork. Bought the premeate pump to save on the wastewater and fill it's res faster and still haven't had to change filters. It's worth the money in the long run. Hope everything works out for you. .V.

11. Thanks for the advice Viper, but it is too late for this crop.
    I'm declaring this garden for Diesel Ryders dead by tap water.
    So this thread should be closed moderators.

But, with every mistake we learn something.
    I learned that Sacramento's tap water is ill fitted for consumption by any living thing.
    While in the grocery store today I found that they now carry Purified Reverse Osmosis Water!
    At $1 a gallon, I can afford this till I can save up enough to buy my own Reverse Osmosis Water Filter.
    LED crops don't need nearly as much water as HID ones, so I can pull this off for a couple of months fairly cheaply.
    So I now have 3 seeds soaking in water overnight, that will be planted tomorrow:
    DNA's Rocklock (fem), Prima Reserve's Cole Train (fem), and Seedsman's Top 44 (reg).
    I may start another grow journal to document it after I know the water issue has been solved, as I hate to get people's hopes up and then disappoint.

See you in the grow journals soon my friends :wave:

12. Ahhh, I was just wondering what happened to you and your grow earlier today before work. That sucks bad man. Ill def be looking at your next shot! Good luck