70 watt hps??

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by hatgurlz28, Apr 1, 2002.

1. I see multiple issues here....overwatering and/or poor soil drainage, and possible heat stress. On top of this, those plants are suuuuper stretched as they obviously aren't getting nearly enough light. Those node distances are massive.......normally a plant would have 8-10 set of leaves at that height, so only have a few with massive distances in between. Those plants aren't going to yield anything at all unless you give them some more light ASAP.

2. To add to previous post, there is also zero side branching going on....another sign that plants aren't getting enough light to properly develop.

3. damn. I'm totally depressed now. :( Literally sick to my stomach.

I assume a 70 watt hps and three 60 watt agro lights aren't nearly enough?

Am I not optimizing the walls by using reflective paneling?

I'm a noob, and I'll admit I may have over-watered. And I can try to improve the ventilation system.

Would you suggest I trash the two mystery plants and concentrate all light on the one sure female??

Obviously I need some more advice...

4. And when you mean poor soil drainage, do you mean too much water is escaping, or not nearly enough???

FML right now.

5. not nearly enough and omg i would scrap it all almost unless you got a long time to attempt to fix all these issues bring your light within inches from plant let completely dry out soil and hope and pray like no tommorrow that it comes back from circling the drain dont mean to be mean

6. What does that mean? comes back from circling the drain??

And also, I kinda want to die.

7. like your plants from the pictures it looks like they are very sickly and pottentially dieing :(
    and you dont wanna die you want healthy plants to make you very happy

8. I threw everything away. Soil. Plants. Every shitty aggro light. Even busted my 70 watt hps in a rage.

I've got nothing left.

Over $200 wasted.

No will left to start over.

I want to crawl in a hole like Sadam Hussein, and never come out until Special Ops soldiers find me and hang me for being a fucking idiot.

Merry Christmas to me.

Thanks for everyone's help though. I do appreciate it.

9. Hey brother, calm down!!!

I've made lot's of mistakes too, it is part of learning! Now get up and walk again!

You can use your lights, the problem was in lightning 3 plants. Concentrate all lights in only one.
    A good soil must have sand or perlite to drain, roots need oxygen.

A constant Air flow is a must too. If u don't have it, think in a way of have it.

This is a great hobby. Keep going. Don't stop on the first rock you steeped on.

Merry xmas!

10. You're right. Damnit, you're right!

Okay, I'm ready to get serious.

I'm restarting completely. I've learned the following things:

1) Mix layers of perlite in soil for proper drainage.

2) MORE WATTAGE!

3) Better ventilation.

Instead of jury-rigging a hps security light, I'm going to buy a grow light online.

My question is, should I stick with HPS? note: I'm giving myself a $200 budget.

11. Ok, nice!

I'm going to give you a tip about the potting witch i've learned:

mix the soil with perlite, not a layer, but put a layer of crushed rocks, like construction brita on the bottom. One to two inches is ok.
    Than put your soil above the rocks layer. You can use expanded clay balls too, but I prefer brita.

This will prevent root bound and will improve aeration.

You can still use your light setup, just put them 2 to 3 inches above the plant, use ur hand, and if heat hurts, raise it.

Buy couple more cfls (35w ea) and add to your grow room.

Remember the 3 essentials for plants: light, air and water. If one of them is restricted, you will have poor results.

I think your problem is air flow.

Buy one pc fan 120mm and use it to extract air from the cabinet. Put it on the upper part of it. Make a passive intake in the bottom. To power the fan buy a 12v addapter, wire it and let it run non stop.

Just one extracting air is enough. You can use one fan blowing the plant to simulate wind, witch is good too. This will improve gas exchange, like co2, o2 etc...

When installing the fan, imagine were the air will enter and exit the cabinet, think in a way that air will pass thru the entire cabinet... Use your creativity. :D

Cebus.

12. After some research, I found LED's may be something worth investing in.

Like this model:
    Super Grow LED | Super Grow LED

Anyone have any experience with LED's?

13. Thanks for the tips!

I'm still considering buying a legit grow light though, (just to make sure I have enough wattage). After some research, I found LED grow lights have blue and red spectrum light.

Would a model like this be worth investing in?

Super Grow LED | Super Grow LED

Any experience with LED's? Or do you still recommend buying a couple 35 watt cfl's.??

14. only one pannel I think it's too little. The price is ripp off.

I've made a 50w led pannel and they worked very well for veg, but it got some issues. And for flowering was weak.

Since its your first grow (second now ;)), use cfl. They are excellent bang for the buck. Buy 2700k cfl for flowering and use it right away.

15. Since I'm starting from scratch (I just set my next good seed in water for germination), won't I need good veggie lights in the blue spectrum?

Or are you recommending the 2700k cfl bulbs are good for both growth and flowering stages? If so, done deal.

I'm just worried about what happened last time--not enough blue spectrum light for the plant to get bushy. I don't want my nodes separated too much.

Though, I am only concentrating on one plant now.

16. yes u can use 6500k to promote shorter and bushier plants.

I think 2700k can be used from start to finish. Just supply enough light and we are cool. Aim for 10,000 lumens. anything around that for one plant its great. The suprasumo would be 20,000 lumens. The minimum for life support is 3,000.

17. You rock, Cebus.

Thanks for your help and patience.

I'll give you an update in a month on how my baby girl is doing when I top/fim her.

Later,
    Mel Gibson :p