7 months and still can't find a job..

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by ChronicPhonix, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Trains,buses,walking to your job? Maybe im missing something? In Canada its very very easy to find jobs. I have a bunch of dairy queens and macs and 7-11's by my house which are extremely easy to get into. Maybe America is in such dire straits that i don't understand. I couldn't understand getting drug tested in america when you work at mcdonalds or KFC. Here in Canada you dont get drug tested because we are truly free, cops here are nice and friendly unlike the U.S. Cops here don't use teaser guns on anyone they want too.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H9ddFPCDkg]Canadian Police Don't Play Games - YouTube[/ame]

Cops here dont need to use teaser guns.

2. Dude ive been looking 3 months nonstop im wore put and waste a shitload of money trtong ro drive aeound ro thesw stupid fucko g ontwrviews and call backs and dropping ofd an application..... im literally feeding the system im wolling to worj.but getting mothong imnretyrnni have college edixation and certified and all areas that im applying 2
    ... starting to make me insane and just wanna say fuck it all im. Never gonnanbe employed anyway...

Bank robbing spree anyone?

3. It's not always that easy. Sometimes jobs are far away and there's no public transportation to them. I've actually seen plenty of jobs that require you to have a car.

4. All jobs would like you to have a car. Check off that you have a car and take a bus to work or get someone to drop you off. very simple.

5. sometimes its just luck, grocery stores hire temp people in bursts. Alot of places dont advertise that there hiring..
    if you have a HS diploma or GED, id recommend a tech school. Some of those programs hook you up with a job right after you graduate, and sometimes only take 2 months to complete. there also quite easy, you dont need to be good at math or reading/writing, just common sense and determination. apply for financial aid/student loan.

also if your in decent shape, you can find a hard labor job, helping people move or working at a post office type thing.

temporary employment agencies suck balls. You will be working with people that are drug addicts, fresh out of prison, crazy, illegal immigrants. and the pay is shit. From what ive heard, i never went to one but my friend did.

6. 1. call the place. "are you hiring?"
    2. if yes, do the online application or come in to fill one out
    3. call them back. "did you check over my application yet?"
    4. repeat 3
    5. repeat 3
    6. repeat 3
    7. repeat 3
    8. get called in for an interview
    9. prepare thoroughly
    10. score the job

7. Check online - you can sometimes luck out on sites like Craigslist. Look for temporary work or even part time until you can find something more permanent.
    If you want to try and get your parents off your back, then you can always try and volunteer for a position, like an internship type thing until you can get a foothold in a company that interests you (or just anything at all). Even if you're not getting paid, maybe the fact that you're actually doing something will chill your parents out a bit.
    If not, is school an option? Chances of finding employment increase quite surprisingly with some relevant education. It doesn't have to be a degree or anything quite so difficult as an undertaking, but even some vocational courses or technical school can help make you a more desireable candidate. I became an EMT-B and it took 10 weeks, and about $1,500 for the tuition, books and uniforms that were required by my school. I ended up making quite a lot of money from that and it opened up a ton of options for future opportunities.

8. Not all places have public transportation that is accessible.. Whenever i lived in youngsville, which is in Louisiana, the closest business was about a 15 minute drive through country roads, probably about a two hour walk at best. And almost no min. wage places that are easy to get a job at. For those you had to go the city, a thirty minute drive, and probably a 4 or more hour walk there. Basically, there aren't buses in Youngsville, and the closest place that had them is a bigger city that is a 4 hour or more walk, which is where you would need to go to actually get hired anywhere. Also, not everyone has someone who is able to drop them off or every shift, especially if you're actually trying to work full-time and your parents also might work.

TLDR; In many stuations selling your car would be a terrible idea. Not everyone can find rides for each shift, and not every place has public transportation close enough to get to.

9. #29 Newtoke, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
    wow I feel lucky
    after literally months of not needing, wanting, or looking for a job, I randomly got a text from my brothers employer offering me a job.

Lookin' at the new employed newtoke :)

10. Don't feel bad man. I was unemployed for a few years before I landed a dish washing gig.

11. Me too man, goin on 3 month, my girl had to pay my rent last month. I hate that!

12. Damn. I've barely been looking and I can't find one. Probably cause I'm too picky in what I wanna do.

13. Think of the employment market like the stock market... what commodities are rising/doing great right now? Take a look around you.

What do most people have/need? Lots of people have cars. Apply at a dealership. 98% of the population has a cellphone. Apply to an authorized retailer or corporate mobile service provider. Don't apply to fast food unless you are desperate.

It's simple logic; the more business a company is doing, the more help it needs in managing their operations.

I made a list of all the companies I'll be blasting my resume out to and will be managing a simple database of job perspectives. Hopefully I'll find something before this temp job is over.

14. Start a lawn care service and make money cutting lawns

You can do like 10 lawns a day and make 200 bucks a day.

$1000 a week

$4000 a month

15. This is a good one to get some quick cash.

16. It says he lives on the beach, and who knows if this guy has a lawnmower let alone the sand attachment

17. My best friend has had an on / off lawn business since he was like 16. I've worked for him each time he's done it, and we've made good money. He's currently in Fire School, but he talks about starting it back up when he graduates. Although that'd be cool, I gotta find something for the here and now. Hopefully something will come along though.

18. Start volunteering, if they see on your resume you worked to help the community for not a single penny in return it'll look very good.

19. Grass goes dormant in winter not much grass to be cut now lol ... But in spring I guess

20. You gotta keep in contact with them and let them know how much you want the job. I just landed my dream job earlier today after bugging the owner every week for months and I didn't even fill out an application.