7 day old seedling dieing?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Mr.Lee, Feb 5, 2010.

1. #1 Mr.Lee, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2010
    its only been 7 days i've had it under 24/0 - 6 CFLS - filtered water. The Green in the leaves is still there but it looks like its schrivling. havent had a chance to pick up a ppm and ph meters or nutes yet. Also havent hooked up my fan. everyday i dip my finger in about an inch if its still damp i dont water it till the next day. I woke up yesturday and it was practically dead almost laying in the dirt. do you think it under watered? over watered? anything would help :( thnx

2. it sounds overwatered, I remember reading you should check 2-3in in soil and to water when the top of the soil is dry and cracked.

How far away are your CFLs? is your plant stretched at all?

3. Also now the only set of small leaves are extremely stiff n hard and i watered them this morning. they dont look to be growing any bigger as well. also i have them in FFOF.

4. added a few pics of my setup are my plants to close to the light??

Attached Files:

5. Sorry to hear aobut the problems. It is especially unfortunate that the plant is so young. It is difficult to bring back such a youngster. Non the less, lets figure out what is wrong. The pic is not that clear for me to see the seedling.

How big are your cups?
    Do your cups have drain holes on the bottom?
    ph is very important. Do you have strips or anything to check ph with? (you need it)
    What is the ph? (I realize you do not have anything to test it with)
    What is the temperature right where the plant is? (just where the plant is, not the entire room)
    What is it you are growing? (what strain or is it bagseed)
    Has the seedling ever dried out?

I see that you do not have nutes yet. You should never use any nutes on a plant that is less than 2 weeks old. I can not reiterate how important it is to not overwater or let your seedling dry out. In my opinion the seedling stage is the most difficult and fragile. Once you get a good strong plant, I suggest that you keep her for a clone mother, if you intend to grow again. Good luck

6. I've found PH isn't so important for seedlings. As prpl said, they dont need nutes for 2 weeks and wont show lockout until that time. I've had seedlings do great in 8.0PH water until they started to uptake nutes. You do need to find out what your PH is at though or you're looking for disaster in another week.

Your lights can be on top of those cups, I run my veg CFL's less than an inch from the top of the plants.

7. How big are your cups? Small disposable cup about 3in tall

Do your cups have drain holes on the bottom? Yes I cut some out

ph is very important. Do you have strips or anything to check ph with?
    I have a GH test indicator drops.

What is the ph? (I realize you do not have anything to test it with) Around 6.5

What is the temperature right where the plant is? (just where the plant is, not the entire room) 85 degrees. I also have a small fan on them

What is it you are growing? (what strain or is it bagseed) Bagseed

Has the seedling ever dried out? Yes I've seen them dry before

*Also I've seen this white powder/mold looking stuff on my dirt ? and as of this morning it doesnt look like any of them are growing anymore :(

8. what kind of soil is that? I'll bet that the white stuff on your soil is salt build up and it will kill plants like nobody's business.

9. Oh ya the white powder mold. I would get rid of that dirt. H2O2 is effective in killing mold spores. None the less, you need to scrape off the top layer of dirt. and throw it far away. Mold spores travel in air. I would look forward to transplanting them itno something else and getting rid of everything that had the mold on it. The mold is leaching the nutrients out of the soil. When you transplant them make sure you wash them off before you put them in the new dirt. If they are too you and too small to transplant, then scrape off the top layer and treat with H2O2. You need to clean everything with bleach water or you risk it coming back. Ya mold will kill you seedlings pretty fast.

10. Hey prpl, If its only on the soil and not the leaves I would lean more towards salt build up, that is of course if he's using a time release fert or soil. I can't be certain without pics of the soil but I had this issue and it was definitely salt.

11. its only a tiny amount not even like a spore just looks like alittle dust got onto it. Also im using FFOF for soil. If it is salt build up how do i get rid of it? or can that be the cause to why they are dieing so fast?

12. If it is salt build up, then that means you are giving them nutes or your soil has nutes in it. on a larger plant a flush would be in order. However, with a seedling a flush could just add to the problems. All of this asside, that Green Bastard Grrower could help you better than I can. He grows in soil and I in hydro. So, now that the real help is hear, I will step asside. :smoking:

13. FFOF shouldnt have enough nutes to cause salt build up, unless you nuted or added something to the soil.

Regardless you should scrape off the top layer of soil and replace with new soil. If it is mold that will slow it down. It won't stop it, but it will slow.

What is your humidity at?

14. havent gotten a hydrometer yet so no idea what the humidity is.

I havent added a thing to the seeds but water! It does look alot like salt build up because thats exactly what it looks like (SALT). Could it be a ppm problem? Should I just start giving them distilled water? Rather then filtering it from the sink?

How does salt build up happen?

15. here are a few more pics. Some close up to the dirt so you can see what white dust powder im talkin about. Also i found the same white stuff draining out of the bottom of the cup and there was a build up of it... anyone have a clue what it is?? my seeds dont even break thru the dirt anymore.:confused: when I first started my 1st 2 seeds grew perfect and then they just died and now nothing grows! any ideas? :mad:

Attached Files: