7/17 arrests in DUI checkpoint...

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by KangarooBunny, Jul 29, 2012.

1. been through a few check points but never stopped.

in my city a group of 10-20 people will line up a quarter mile down the road from a check point with signs telling you were it is, and to take a detour to save your rights.

they have to give a city wide notice of check points here and people take advantage of that quite regularly, although like i said i have gone through them because i had no prior knowledge

but my city is divided east/west by a river and 3 bridges, all the bars are on the east side so you know every few weekends there are routine bridge check points

2. [quote name='"Thunder Struck"']

You are not caught in the act of driving. You are stopped and questioned. It is like stopping at a stoplight. No officer pulls you over, no officer observed you driving. No officer has any evidence against you.

Simple.

It is unconstitutional and a violation of our civil rights.[/quote]

If you are in the car, in the drivers seat, in the roadway, in traffic, and the police observe signs of intoxication as you proceed through a checkpoint, you are most certainly caught in the act of dui. Unless you profess to have teleported your drunk ass to the checkpoint. No law against that. (Yet.)
    They don't need to witness your horrible driving, crossing center lines and such. You could be driving perfectly well, but if you have a .08 bac, you are no less guilty.

3. [quote name='"Mister Meaner"']

If you are in the car, in the drivers seat, in the roadway, in traffic, and the police observe signs of intoxication as you proceed through a checkpoint, you are most certainly caught in the act of dui. Unless you profess to have teleported your drunk ass to the checkpoint. No law against that. (Yet.)
    They don't need to witness your horrible driving, crossing center lines and such. You could be driving perfectly well, but if you have a .08 bac, you are no less guilty.[/quote]

Ding ding ding

4. So if you have red eyes you should be arrested for smoking pot? :cool:

5. This is not true at all. In many places, including where I live, if you are intoxicated and in the car, you can get a dui. You can even not have the keys, and you can still get a dui. Hell, if you are a PASSENGER and you and your driver is drunk, you can get a dui. (You've got to be a really big dick to the cops to get that one.) If you're going to bother educating yourself, do it properly.

Plus, you're seriously an idiot if you can't avoid a weed bust. Anyone who smokes in their car or doesn't know how to transport without getting busted deserves it.

6. They don't just arrest you the moment they see you. You go through a field sobriety test, then you will either be given a breath or blood test to determine BAC. then your arrested! So being sarcastic and saying so they should arrest you for smoking pot if you have bloodshot eyes doesn't make much sense now does it?

7. No one gets arrested for smelling like booze. No one gets arrested for crossing the center line. These are indicators that some law might be being broken. Probable cause. Further checks are made and data is collected to see if the driver is, in fact, over the limit.
    If you go through the checkpoint and do not display any indicators they don't run the additional checks.
    I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

8. You guys seriously have no problem having your rights violated? What is next, cops are allowed to walk inside your house with a master key and arrest you for doing what you do in your home?

By the way, you are not required to preform a field sobriety test. That is unlawful.

Educate yourselves and stand up for your fucking rights. Thanks.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

- Benjamin Franklin

9. Ok genius! Of course your right about the field test! But refuse it and you will be detained and taken for a blood test! Explain to me where rights are being violated. Don't drive drunk!! If you drive drunk you fucking deserve to go to jail! Geezz!

10. Apply the same logic to a murder or a rape or embezzlement or assault or copyright infringement and you should see where your logic falls apart.

11. So where does it end you guys?

Where does your rights violations end? Huh?

DUI checkpoints save nobody and nothing, this thread alone proves it. More people were arrested for bullshit reasons rather than actually driving drunk.

DUI Checkpoints - arresting more people who aren't drunk than are. :cool:

12. I have to agree with a lot of you that DUI checkpoints are no longer aimed at intoxicated drivers. Here in southern california DUI checkpoint is basically a cover for illegal alien checkpoints. My city makes SO much money from impounding immigrants' cars and giving tickets for no license, insurance, etc..And the bastards block off like a couple hundred yards before the checkpoints so you cant turn around, and theres motorcycle cops patrolling the area in case anyone tries to purposely avoid the checkpoints.

13. [quote name='"Thunder Struck"']

DUI checkpoints save nobody and nothing, this thread alone proves it.[/quote]

Really? Pulling drunks off the road has never prevented a deadly crash? Really?

14. because it is against the law

/facepalm

go back to Germany in the 30s and let them see your papers.. you would have loved it there!!!

15. [quote name='"AfganiKush"']I have to agree with a lot of you that DUI checkpoints are no longer aimed at intoxicated drivers. Here in southern california DUI checkpoint is basically a cover for illegal alien checkpoints. My city makes SO much money from impounding immigrants' cars and giving tickets for no license, insurance, etc..And the bastards block off like a couple hundred yards before the checkpoints so you cant turn around, and theres motorcycle cops patrolling the area in case anyone tries to purposely avoid the checkpoints.[/quote]

There was a law passed that they will longer be able to impound cars for no license cause cops were putting them in the morning next to home depots ........ It's for LA , OC AND IE

[quote name='"geetardude"']Yeah, not a good thing to go through a checkpoint when you got shit in your car. Perhaps it couldn't be avoided, but I'd try to find a different route if I know there are checkpoints[/quote]

Sucks congress made apple get rid of trapster app ..... I loved that app and snitching on cops of their hiding spots

[quote name='"Thunder Struck"']DUI checkpoints are a violation of your civil rights and constitutional rights. (4th Amendment)

Not to mention when you are given a DUI you must be found in the act of driving, not while stopped.

Educate yourselves and don't become victims.[/quote]

Yea try telling that to the cops who were also setting up checkpoints to get money by putting them at 9am next to home depot or where low income Hispanics live .... The would do this to get money from impound fees and tickets

16. This is wrong.. Sadly :(

DUI Checkpoints are a violation of your rights but who you going to complain to? A judge that couldn't give 2 shits less about ruining your life over some harmless plant matter to keep his conviction rates up? Yeah.. Goodluck my friend.

17. wow.

apathy is not the answer and doesn't make you any more correct.

if anything you lose credibility. if you instead could support him, stand behind him in a court room because you know the crimes going on by the government..

stand up for your fellow man, not sit down and cry in your lap.

18. TomcatJones, thank you.

19. Jesus Christ. Read the 4th Amendment and come back here later. :rolleyes:

20. You're gonna complain to the judge that you refuse to convict utilizing unconstitutional laws if you ever find yourself on a jury. That is what you're gonna do. "Jury Nullification." It ended Alcohol prohibition. ;)