7/17 arrests in DUI checkpoint...

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by KangarooBunny, Jul 29, 2012.

1. "Only two of the 17 arrests were for DUI. Of the 22 total charges, seven were for possession of marijuana, five for driving with a suspended or revoked license, three for possession of drug paraphernalia, three for not having a valid driver's license and two for violation of probation."
    DUI checkpoint in Largo nets 17 arrests, 22 charges

:eek:

2. What's point? I think DUI check points are a good thing. No one should drive drunk. It's way to dangerous. Sucks some stoners got caught up though :/

3. Probably that it's a DUI checkpoint...

4. Yeah, not a good thing to go through a checkpoint when you got shit in your car. Perhaps it couldn't be avoided, but I'd try to find a different route if I know there are checkpoints

5. I think it's funny how "Only two of the 17 arrests were for DUI." :rolleyes:

6. DUI checkpoints are a violation of your civil rights and constitutional rights. (4th Amendment)

Not to mention when you are given a DUI you must be found in the act of driving, not while stopped.

Educate yourselves and don't become victims.

7. Nothing new about that stuff. DUI check points haul in illegal aliens, people with warrants, expired licenses/tags, dope, etc. Oh, and maybe even a couple of drunks! They especially go after those that delibertely try to avoid the stop by turning around or taking another street when they see the road block.

8. [quote name='"Thunder Struck"']DUI checkpoints are a violation of your civil rights and constitutional rights. (4th Amendment)

Not to mention when you are given a DUI you must be found in the act of driving, not while stopped.

Educate yourselves and don't become victims.[/quote]

What's so bad about them? They are catching criminals and people driving drunk( minus the potheads).

Victims of what?

9. Check out this video :laughing:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aY7NYXDzy8]How to handle DUI Checkpoints - REMAIN SILENT - YouTube[/ame]

10. The Supreme Court acknowledges that DUI roadblocks violate a fundamental constitutional right. However, Chief Justice Rehnquist argued in a majority opinion that sobriety checkpoints are justified because the state's interest in reducing drunk driving outweighs the minor infringement on an individual's rights. - Legality of Sobriety Checkpoints

11. I had to drive through a check point at 7 in the fucking morning on the way to work today, not only that but it was in the middle of the damn woodsl

12. If the officers are using a portable breath test to determine the drivers' blood alcohol content (BAC) levels, they can just move quickly from car to car. If such tests are not available, officers look for signs of driver impairment. These signs include:

Contradictory answers to questions
    Smell of alcohol or illegal substances
    Slurred speech
    Open bottles of alcohol in the vehicle
    Bloodshot or red-rimmed eyes
    Admission of drug or alcohol use.

It seems obvious, but I have a feeling that these are what the possession/paraphernalia charges started with. (I would consider consenting to a search admission because if you have illegals in your car you do NOT consent.)

13. "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

- Benjamin Franklin

Ohhh, they got TWO people who had been actually drinking, what about the other 500 in the same city/area? You are okay with this? Nice tax dollars going to work.

Oh I am sorry, you are okay with your civil rights and constitutional rights being violated. :rolleyes:

Keep on keeping on then.

Checkpoints don't reduce anything other than the money in our pockets.

14. Well you obviously DROVE to the DUI checkpoint, so you were driving under the influence. Just because they stopped you and youre not driving anymore doesnt mean they cant give you a DUI.

15. Mindset like this is being used agasnt one another till all your right's and privileges are taken away or taxed.

You cannot Prevent Anyone From Sinning.But why dont we go bankrupt trying.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

16. a lot of Germans from 1930 in this thread..

17. You are not caught in the act of driving. You are stopped and questioned. It is like stopping at a stoplight. No officer pulls you over, no officer observed you driving. No officer has any evidence against you.

Simple.

It is unconstitutional and a violation of our civil rights.

18. Is this true? He might has well have said that the need to purify the human race is so important that it outweighs the horrors of murdering millions of Jews to accomplish this goal.

19. copy and pasted

20. DUI checkpoints have evolved past their origional intent. Now cops check your papers, make sure all your lights work, and look through your car in hoping to find some contraband to justify an arrest.

Just wait for the "cell-phone use" checkpoints in the next few years.