64 Acre medical Pot Farm is approved in Boulder/Longmont!!!!!

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by SIRSOG, Sep 1, 2010.

1. A decision by the Boulder County Land Use Department to approve the transformation of a one-time organic egg farm north of Longmont into a marijuana growing operation will stand, county commissioners decided Tuesday morning.
    The 67-acre Szymanski Farms, 10437 Yellowstone Road, is now one of two plots of agricultural land in rural Boulder County that have been given the green light to grow and process medical marijuana.

On June 8, the county commissioners issued new rules that restrict medical marijuana centers -- which include dispensaries and growing operations -- to the small portion of the unincorporated county that is zoned for commercial, business and industrial uses. The new rules prohibit such operations in areas zoned for agricultural use.
    But Szymanski Farms and Dalton Farm -- a five-acre plot of land on 75th Street that sits just south of Walden Ponds -- both applied for permission to cultivate marijuana just days before the new rules went into effect, and therefore, both applications were judged, and ultimately approved, under the old rules.
    A third application turned in before the June 8 deadline -- which seeks approval for a pot farm on a five-acre lot at 10452 Isabelle Road west of Erie -- has not yet been ruled on, according to Dale Case, director of the Land Use Department.

Eggs to weed
    Cyd and Steve Szymanski have been trying to find a buyer for their farm ever since Cyd Szymanski sold the business she'd built from scratch over 15 years, Nest Fresh Eggs, in 2006.
    "After we sold the company, we tried to sell the farm," Steve Szymanski said. "It's been for sale ever since."

The Szymanskis still technically own the land, but that will likely change soon. The land is under contract to be purchased by Scott Mullner, a city councilman in Laramie, Wyo., on the condition that Boulder County approved a change in the allowed use of the property from commercial feed yard to intensive agricultural. The change allows medical marijuana to be grown and processed inside the five existing agricultural buildings on the land.
    Mullner, who did not return phone calls Tuesday, would not legally be able to operate the marijuana farm himself because he lives out of the state, but he could potentially sell or lease the farm to a Coloradan interested in marijuana production.
    The Land Use Department approved the change in use for Szymanski Farms on Aug. 5, but outraged neighbors asked the county commissioners to "call up" the docket and reconsider the decision. The neighbors said they believe a marijuana farm at that location would decrease home values and increase crime. Other concerns included the proximity of the Mountain States Children's Home and the general incompatibility of a marijuana farm with a residential neighborhood.

Bound by old codes
    On Tuesday morning -- when the county commissioners decided not to reconsider the Land Use Department's approval of the proposed pot farm -- they told the crowd of neighbors who attended the meeting that they were sympathetic to their concerns. But all three commissioners said they agreed with the Land Use Department's analysis of the application under the old codes, and therefore, they declined to reconsider the docket.
    "Our collective sense of what is appropriate on this property is clear from the decision we made in June when we adopted code amendments that prohibited medical marijuana operations in the agriculturally zoned district," said Commissioner Will Toor. "But it's clearly the case that we cannot apply the (new) code retroactively."

Neighbors vowed Tuesday after the meeting to continue to fight the project. Nancy Peters said she believes the commissioners are wrong to say the pot farm would comply with the old codes -- particularly the rule that demands new development to be "compatible" with the existing neighborhood -- and she said the neighbors will consider legal action.

Smaller farm, less outcry
    The county commissioners did not reconsider the Land Use Department's approval of the smaller Dalton Farm property east of Boulder. Unlike Szymanski Farms, only a few neighbors commented on the Dalton Farm application, which was submitted by Broomfield resident John Dalton.

On Aug. 16, the Land Use Department approved Dalton's request to build four 3,000-square-foot greenhouses on his five-acre lot north of Valmont Road. He also won approval to expand an existing, domed 800-square-foot quonset hut barn and add a second 1,760-square-foot barn. In his application, Dalton -- who did not return phone calls Tuesday -- also writes that he plans to add a solar array that could offset his spring, summer and fall electricity use.
    The deadline for the commissioners to call up the application was Monday.

Not a done deal
    Despite the approvals for the farms, both face a number of hurdles before marijuana can be grown at the locations.

"They certainly cannot begin operations before the state and local licensing takes place," Toor said of the Szymanski Farms operation. "At this point, we do not know what the state licensing will look like, and we have not yet developed the local licensing. I think it's an open question whether this operation will be able to make it through that process."
    A state law passed earlier this year requires medical marijuana centers to obtain both state and local licenses. On Tuesday, the commissioners encouraged neighbors to stay involved as the county creates the rules for obtaining the required license.

"As we define our local licensure program, that is a public process," Commissioner Ben Pearlman said. "I invite all of you to weigh in on what the requirements should be."

2. It doesn't matter, the DEA will keep close eyes on the land and as soon as they see a lovely grow, they are dropping the hammer, and dropping it hard.

3. interesting you think this, because they havent done ANYTHING to the 50 + warehouses that are now giant dispensary grow ops...i think the farm will survive hahahaah. The DEA is slowly losing "jurisdiction" in the medical world and we all know it. Its just cool that now in the warm months there will be an outdoor op you can probably smell from a ways off hahaha. The county wouldnt have approved it and done all this work if they thought the dea was going to fuck it up, and im sure they corresponded with someone in the DEA to make sure it was the most legit. Boulder doesnt fuck around with its weed shit anymore

4. Honestly, the term "64" acre is a really broad statement - this is a chicken farm, lots of structures and previous infrastructure, and it's in Boulder, so I don't see them growing outdoors too much. Just because it says 64 acre doesn't mean they are going to be putting out a full 64 acre plot lol, that would be a big enough crop to smoke out the whole town of Boulder for life XD

5. The DEA has no place in Colorado, they know that, enough said :p

6. Oh im well aware of where this place is hahaa its a LOT of buildings and a pretty large plot for planting... im saying tho, not many dispensaries can say "oh yea this shit is straight natural outdoor boulder med" because the only outdoor is caregivers with small time ops and they arent selling to every dispensary and they dont have enough to spread it...just a cool thought, and it means, there will be more weed especially after all the limitations but on who can grow and where

7. Oh yeah, I can see an operation this big attracting multiple dispensaries in a cash-crop style co-operative that could bottom prices out in Boulder akin to that of California.

So stoked to tour Boulder sometime in the next few months when I save up some money, I'm going to tour every dispensary I can :D.

Lets get some of those low prices down here in durango ^^

8. its a myth that our medical is more expensive than yours lol, i pay 8 a gram, TOPS for my shit now.... only dumbasses who switch dispensaries all the time and cant use their words to propose a deal pay top price..... in my pick up thread my last oz was 175 hahahahahhaah thats 6 bucks a g pretty much

9. I left Boulder for SoCal about 9 months ago and the medical MJ out here is 60 an eighth at some places?? So i rotate eighth from a dispensary for a week, quarter from my other guy for 85 the next week lol

Boulder is one of the best places to live ever.

10. Boulder kicks ass, and 60 an 8th, thats some fucking bullshit, i never in my ENTIRE life, paid more than 50 for an 8th.... however i have paid for 16 dollar grams, if they were beyond fucking amazing...but im not about to buy weight on something more expensive than silver

11. I looked the address up on google earth - looks like about 60 of those 64 acres are dirt. Only saw about 4 buildings. 64 acres of bud swaying gently in the wind would be a cool site to see, lol.

12. you guys are lucky. East coast is 400 and up for an ounce of the dankest buds

13. 10437 Yellowstone Road...on my way

14. i live near there :) and those pics are very outdated, the place is alot more established

15. yea... its been changed so much for the egg farm... that google maps shit is obviously before the egg farm bought up the place