60x60x140cm tent with 300 watt dual spectrum CFL, too much?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Callumjeast, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Hello, this is my first grow, I'm trying out 3 sensi skunk automatics in a 60x60x140cm grow tent. The seeds have germinated and I currently have them in 1L propagator pots inside the grow tent with the light on. I have the light hanging as close to the ceiling as possible because I have no idea where to hang it. It's a 300 watt dual spectrum CFL, I have it hung vertically with no reflector. It's around 22 degrees Celsius in there which is kept pretty much constant by a fan. How far should I hang it from the seedlings, and will it be a suitable light in this grow space? Thanks!

2. CFLs are pretty easy on the plants. We veg with 4ft 4 bulb T5's and our plants can grow right up to the lamp and even touch it without burn....so CFLs aren't something you have to worry too much about getting too close to your plants. If your seeds have just germinated, you might wait a day or so just to allow them a chance to get used to the light they're now under, and then bring the light down drastically...much closer to your plants. If you don't, the plants will start to stretch and get real long and stemmy because they're trying to get closer to the light.

I really don't think you are going to have room to flower more than one plant in that tent you have. A 300 watt dual spectrum CFL is not a big and powerful enough light to finish off 3 plants anyway. By the time you let these plants veg long enough to get large enough to put into flower, they're already going to take up most of the space in your tent. When they go into flower, IF they have strong enough lighting, they'll double or even triple in size. CFLs work great for the veg cycle, but when it comes to flowering, they leave you with arid spindly plants and light and arid buds. The size and density of your buds is directly proportional to how much good strong flower lighting you provide the plant. But with the size tent you have, I really don't think you could put a hotter light in there without heat being a major issue, so I guess you'll have to go with the CFLs. Just remember, you can always harvest more from one plant that has the right environment and everything it needs than you can by trying to flower 3 or 4 in the spot only one should go. Crowding means shading out anything below the canopy so nothing under it will be developed. You're better off to give one plant plenty of room and plenty of light and let that plant develop all over like it should.

Also, please put as much time and effort into learning the grow process for this as you did trying to figure out the equipment you were going to grow with. One is no good without the other and you desperately need to learn the very basics of growing these plants inside under artificial light. Otherwise, you'll be lost before you even get started good. In the new grower threads here there are lots of posts specifically for the new grower that contain these basics that you need to know. Have fun! TWW

3. Hey get your self a reflector and make or buy a space double what you have already. As far as I read its automatic flowering plants you have. They won't take up as much room as full cycle plants and you can top them as soon as your 4 full stems up the plant to keep your hight down. Go read read read and watch watch watch. Google is a wonderful tool use it and cross reference everything. Start with the basics like The White Widow says you have to crawl before you can walk and you need to walk before you can run. Everybody starts everything from the bottom so go educate your self and enjoy your experience. Good luck.
    I've just noticed this was from April so I imagine you know the results.