600w vs 1000w

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by blzn, Feb 28, 2006.

1. I'm about to setup a new grow. I've always used 1000w hps in the past but have been looking into getting 600w hps instead and just using more of them. I've heard they are more efficent (i.e. less heat and power consumption for almost the same amount of lumens as a 1000w). Just wondering if anyone has used both 1000w and 600w. I know they are more expensive but that is not an issue. What do u feel would yield more 10x 1000w or 16x600w?

2. Hey, I've got the same problem: what's better, one 1000w or two 600w in a closet? Thanks

3. get off my thread!!:rolleyes:

and g4w obviously 2x600 is better cuz its more watts..........

4. Im a newb grower but obviuosly wouldnt more watts work? Im guessing more 600w hps. Agian this is from a newb grower.

5. It all depends... I'd just get a better 1000w hps. But that's all on you man... it's all about the lumens. Allll about the lumens... the watts are what you pay, the lumens are what you get.

6. ^^^
    He's right. It's ALL about the lumens, and lux and so on.

Figure out how much light you need in your area. then look at how much each bulb outputs. figure out how many of each light you would need at what height for the correct amount of light. Decide how many hoods and ballasts and so on that you want to configure. The 600s will allow you to have a more even light coverage, but I think the 1000s are more efficient. The data's out there if you can find it.

7. www.discount-hydro.com has the new all digital balast in . like 1/5 or 1/6 the weight uses lesss energy and puts out more lumans its awesome . sorta pist the dirty fuckers came out with it like 1 week after i bought 4,000 in equipment and got the best they had. well they didnt have the digital balast. mofo's