600w ventilation suggestions/advice

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by organicdan, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Hey blades I just upgraded from a Rubbermaid grow to a 4x2x5 tent with a 600w cool tube. My temps are around 82 I want the plants as close to the light as possible so I did the hand test they are now 6-8 inches from the light but the temps at canopy level are now 86ish. The ventilation is good i have a 442 cfm inline fan running through the light...if you like a pic or more info click the link in my signature.

2. time for a portable ac unit

3. Yeah I have a window unit just wanted to bust that out when it got a little warmer you know...I have been reading a lot though and it seems 88 and lower isn't too bad I was thinking I needed like a constant 75.

4. nah your good....think about it....these plants grow in tropical rain forests n shit.

5. Yeah I was thinking that earlier haha

6. Outdoor plants have constant fresh air and unlimited co2, thats why they can take higher temps outdoors. They may make it fine at 86, it just isnt optimum.

I would try to get it down if possible, that way temps are one thing you can cross of the list of possibilities should your plants have any issues. Your moving enough air, you just need lower ambient / intake temps.

Where is the hot air venting out?

7. Yeah that's the problem I have the hot air venting into my carbon filter on a shelf above the tent...so it just keeps pulling that air in...I need to vent outside or something

8. [quote name='"internetdan"']Yeah that's the problem I have the hot air venting into my carbon filter on a shelf above the tent...so it just keeps pulling that air in...I need to vent outside or something[/quote]

Yep, its jacking your intake temps up, which makes the whole system less efficient. Sounds like your on the right path, good luck with it. I ended up having to cut a hole and vent into my attic.

9. If I cut northward ill be venting into the old lady that lives above me apartment I guess I'm gonna have to use a window?

10. [quote name='"internetdan"']If I cut northward ill be venting into the old lady that lives above me apartment I guess I'm gonna have to use a window?[/quote]

Thats a tricky one. Venting out in close quarters is risky if your carbon filter isnt getting 100%. I would probably go ahead and put in the window unit. Then build in an exhaust vent next to it in the empty space you have to seal off anyway. The running compressor may also help hide the heat signature from your exhaust as well. As I said though you have to be carefull venting out a window or everyone in the neighborhood may be smelling dank.

11. Yeah I think that is the plan and I think I can get it to stay at 82 while the window is open until its hot enough to not seem suspicious with the window unit.

12. Okay so I fashioned a way to extract my hot air to the outside I duct taped black carbon filter screen to the outside of the sides of my AC, so from the outside it just looks like I am sealing the AC in. On the inside I cut a hole in the side of the AC to duct the air out and its working pretty well. Kinda ghetto taped on the inside but its whatever. I also hooked the carbon filter up to the intake on my cooltube inside the tent. Now it just smells like...nothing Haha. I just checked the outside and I have no light leaks and again it smells like nothing earlier you could smell some slight skunky notes.

I am now able to freely control temps I got it down to 71 at canopy level and the AC was on like 67-68 and the fan control was only a little over 50% before I had the AC at 63 and the tent could only get to like 77 with the fan control cranked up all the way and that was without the filter attached. So now I am trying to dial it in to the 74-76 range. Now I am just waiting for my new humidifier filters to show up and atmosphere will finally be optimal!

Ill try to attach pics I'm on my phone and this didn't work last time.

ForumRunner_20120314_005313.png

ForumRunner_20120314_005327.png

ForumRunner_20120314_005350.png

ForumRunner_20120314_005238.png

ForumRunner_20120314_005255.png

Today I also transplanted 4 healthy looking clones and 3 seeds that sprouted you can seem them on the ground to the left. That should be fine right? I don't want too much intense light on them so I put them way off to the side and way lower then the others.