600w hps vs 1000

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Irie67, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My sunlight 1000w HPS has bit the dust. Time to do some light shopping. I'm thinking about going with the digital greenhouse 600w Mh/ hPS switchable from htg.com. I have a 4x4 tent. In this space, will I regret this decision to go down to a smaller light? I'm thinking I will like the decrease in heat and increase in efficiency

2. Definitely pick up that 600. I love 600's if you ever get a chance pick up the Grow Bible I can't spell Jorge's last name but it's by him a famous high times writer. He's the one that provoked my initial switch to 600's. I've used 400's then 1000's which I thought were a total mistake. My plants would always grow right up into the hood and get burnt. After reading in the Grow Bible that 600's actually produce more lumens per sqft than a 1000 watter I had to switch. I started with one and ended up buying twenty four more. I absolutely love 600 watters. They burn so cool especially if you air cool them and you can literally put them on top of your plants if you have a glass lens in the hood. Personally, I use daystar ac hoods. But take a look at my grow journal link below all of my grows are done with 600 watters. I've been using them for over five years now. I'll never go back to 1000's or 400's. I run all of mine at 220v they draw less ampage and I decided to go with the Next Generations it's a CAP owned company which CAP makes pretty decent controllers. I don't know anything about digital greenhouse. Isn't that a High Tech Garden Supply company? If so I'd go with the Next Gens or something else that's made in CA and the USA. All of High Tech Garden Supplies shit is made in China. You might pay $10 more for a digi ballast made in the USA but at least you know it's safe and you're helping to put jobs back in America. :cool:

3. 600 isn't enough for a 4x4 space. You will regret the downgrade imo.

4. so, sould you do a 600 and then some T-5's to supplement?

5. i picked up a digital 1000w dimable to 600w with both bulbs,timer,2-yoyo's and 6"vented hood for 250. shipped if ur interested hit me up.:smoke:

6. This isn't true! I have a 15x20 space with multiple 600's like (10) to be exact. If you have a 4x4 space I'd recommend buying (2) 600's and you'll get them closer to your plants and you'll produce MORE lumens than (2) 1000's which will produce 40-50% more heat! Check my grow journal. ALL of my medical herb is grown with 600's!

7. I read somewhere that it was possible to hook up two 600s to one ballast. True? Would the 2 bulbs create more heat than one 1000w.

8. Yes they sale a ballast I believe it's called: Godzilla it does two 600's and then they have one that does two 1000's but I've read terrible reviews about either of them because of the heat and technical problems. Personally I would suggest to just get yourself one or two 600's. Here check out this article with Jorge Cervantes in a High Times issue:

HIGHTIMES.COM > JORGE'S RX

9. I said 600 isn't enough, then you said that's not true he should be running 2 - 600s. So I guess I was right wasn't I since you agreed that he should run more than a single 600, and you will not produce more lumens with 600s than 1000s. 1000s can be cooled and placed at optimal distances for maximum light spread and intensity. You don't know what you're talking about. Jorge simply likes 600s more because apparently he doesn't want to deal with the heat from a 1000. That's just a personal preference. But the fact is that when cooled properly a 1000 will easily provide more lumens than a 600. This is extremely basic shit.

10. @laylow, I think galaxy was talking about efficiency of 600vs1000...and if so that's true. 600s are less costly and give u more lumens per sq.ft than a 1000w would being that its less heat to control and the light can be positioned closer to the canopy ... but ur rite laylow, I would consider two 600w if possible which is better than running a1000w...I pick the 600w:D

11. Im going with the 2 600s. I guess ill check out the nextgen brand. Thanks guys

12. #12 galaxygenetics, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2012
    I don't know what I'm talking about?? ROFLMAO I've been growing cannabis for 18yrs!!! 1000 watt lights SUCK BALLS! You my friend don't know what you're talking about! Go check out some of my recent threads. You'll soon find out I know A LOT about growing marijuana! Go check out my Purple Kush photos on my grow journal. I grow HIGH QUALITY cannabis under 600 watt lights. Check out Jorge Cervantes's: GROW BIBLE he'll tell you straight up that 600 watt lights produce MORE LUMENS than 1000 watt lights because they CAN GET CLOSER TO YOUR PLANTS DUH!

You're not talking to a newbie here. I gurantee that I've grown more strains and been in this industry longer than what you have. So maybe you should just: Lay Low. Feel free to check out my thread: WHAT'S THE BIGGEST PLANT YOU'VE EVER GROWN in the outdoor thread. I've grown single plants that have produced over 7lbs of FIRE and I have pictures to PROVE IT! So saying: "I don't know what I'm talking about" is a major fucking insult. Do you have 18yrs of growing experience? Have you ever grown a 7lb plant plus have pictures to prove it? Have you ever tested just about EVERY single nutrient company on the market? Have you EVER even ran 600 watt lights? Or did you just get talked into buying 1000's from your local know it all hydro shop with a bunch of inexperienced dudes that have been growing weed for 2-3yrs!

Well I have. I've tested 150's, 250's, 400's, 600's, and 1000's! I've tested MH, HPS, LED, and T5 high intensity fluorescents. I've tested Vertical lighting, Horizontal lighting and hoods vs no hoods. Before you come out acting like a dick to someone you have no clue of their knowledge you should definitely check yourself. Because I sure in the hell do know what I'm talking about based on scientific experiments and trial and error!

Upon my conclusion of 18yrs of testing! I have found that 600 watt lights will absolutely ROCK your over heated 1000's any day of the week! I'll get greener bud, frosty and less stressed out bud than any grower with 1000 watt lights. I'll get heavy harvests and my plants won't EVER get burned from my light! So don't knock something until you try it and it's quite obvious you've never ran a room full of 600's.

Also don't argue with the #1 cannabis advisor in the country! Jorge Cervantes has been writing books, releasing instructional DVDs, writing for High Times and he has been cultivating cannabis since 1977! Just because you have a boat load of reputation from sitting on a forum all day still doesn't mean that you know what the hell you're talking about! As for me, I have the knowledge and pictures of my work to back my claims up! ;)

So here's a few pictures from someone that "doesn't know what they're talking about". Oh and by the way these were ALL grown with 600 watt lights!

From left to right: Soma Seeds-Lavender Haze finished and cured./Sweet Tooth-Brother's Grim, Cotton Candy, Jack Herer, Purple Kush, and Pre '98 Bubba. I do about 50 different strains every 90 days. ;)

Attached Files:

13. Light intensity and temperature need to be taken into consideration.. the 600 w bulbs will produce more light and less heat, so it will be more productive to go that route, if cost is not a factor.

14. Lol... Figured you would post some long irrelevant post, and I was right.

Yes I have a 600, and 1000, 400, 250, and 150 watt HPS. I have every wattage possible pretty much, other than those 1500 watt bulbs.

It doesn't matter though. This is basic physics. An air cooled 1000 can be placed close enough to equal the intensity of a 600, but spread over a bigger area, or you can press it down and exceed the intensity of a 600 if you don't want as much spread. That's just physics. And that's what I'm referring to when I say you don't know what you're talking about. I'm sure you can grow weed, so what? That's not what this discussion is about. It's about the physics of lighting.

Heat isn't an issue with air cooled hoods. I position my reflector exactly as close as I want it for the best light spread. I'm not limited in any way by heat. It's a complete non issue if your ventilation is adequate. Now feel free to post 100 more pics that prove nothing.

15. Im with lay low on this one. I run a 1000w in an air cooled reflector and my temps are perfect, i can have my plants within 12" of the bulb no problem so id like to see how a 600 could possibly grow me bigger plants in the same environment

16. I wont post anymore pics. I'll just call you out on a public form to post ypur own pics of your closet grow and show us how superior your 1000watt lights are for growing weed.

FACTS:

1) 1000 watt lights burn hotter. Even if they're air cooled. They still burn hotter than a 600.

2) 1000 watt lights cost more $$$ to run.

3) 1000 watt lights produce something you're obviously not familiar with HOT SPOTS!!! ***That's physics***

4) 600 watt lights produce more lumens per sqft.

5) My pictures and your lack of photo evidence proves that 600 watt lights ROCK and 1000 watt lights are a thing of the past.

PS: I'm glad you enoyed the pictures and I figured with your level of skill. You can't post any pictures because you simply, can't compete.:mad:

17. #17 Russy, Feb 23, 2012
    Lay Low Bro, I stopped posting in these types of threads... As I feel you might in the future..

Its sad we cant give the proper advice to people without being attacked by new members with 50 posts... :rolleyes:

And I love when ya get Jorge Cervantes thrown in your face !
    LOL

I think I have an old grow bible laying around .. I should probably give it away ...

OP already said he got 2 - 600's , so , :rolleyes:

:wave:

18. Lol. You're right. I should know better by now. :smoke:

19. #19 galaxygenetics, Feb 23, 2012

See the problem is I just don't respect you because you're giving bad advice. Somewhere along the line someone handed you some bad advice about lighting and now you pass that bad advice off to others that truly need good advice. I'm just trying to break the cycle dude. And by the way, no one personally attacked you. I was attacked by a very rude, ignorant comment by you that stated: "you don't know what you're talking about." :mad:

I mean how could you even make a judgmental opinion like that whenever you HAVE NO IDEA WHO I AM AND WHAT I KNOW! I was a long standing member to the over grow community for years before they were shut down and I had THOUSANDS of posts! :D

Do you know who subcool is? Miz Jill? BOG? Here's one Stealth Ninja. Dude me and my boys have been featured in High Times several of times. Check out last year's issue about Death Star. We work that strain with 600's and that's it. Because 600 watt lights are far superior than 1000 watt lights. :hello:

It has ABSOLUTE no baring on the factor of if I have 36 posts and you have thousands. Who cares! This kid started this thread for some good advice and you're about to continue this bad advice cycle that a lot of people receive about lighting from hydro shop guys that are trying to sale 1000 watt lights. :devious:

If you've been growing for so long then show me. Prove to me that you know what you're talking about and post some pictures of your flowers grown under a 1000 watt light. I mean what's so hard about that? If you have anything larger than a (4) light grow then post it! I'd love to see it.:rolleyes:

But here's the deal. You can't. It's nothing to do with the fact that you are "aren't posting to forums anymore." You're posting messages right now! So that's a pure line of BS if you ask me. I mean really...are you really going to say that you don't post to forums anymore but you've written how many messages already today and yesterday just in this thread alone? :confused:

Now tell me why act all cool and shit just because you have a bunch of green boxes underneath your name? That means nothing. It's like this if you truly believe that 1000 watt lights are better than 600 watt lights then SHOW US! Please I beg to see your plants! :confused:

I want to see how well your plants are performing under those 1000's. Nobody's trying to knock you or personally attack you but I'm just calling you out to prove the information that you're supplying to an novice grower. ;)

Here's the real deal and if you can't agree with this then you're just unwilling to accept the truth and you're too committed to the investment that you made on those 1000 watt lights you're running.:eek:

I can burn (2) 600 watt lights for the same price that you can burn (1) 1000 watt light. There's no way you could win this argument. For every (1) light you're burning. I'm burning (2) for the same price! And guess what I'm getting more light. More lumens. And less heat from (2) 600 watt air cooled lights then you're getting from (1) 1000 watt light. Now what's this mean? Well it's simple. I'm covering more area per sqft with less heat and more lumens than you or any grower with 1000 watt lights.

Oh and I hate to say, Jorge told you so. And if you would have just read that book two years ago whenever you first started experimenting with growing your own marijuana. You may have already agreed with me. :wave::D

20. I never offered any advice, I leave it to the experts.

Have a nice day !

:wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.