600w HPS v 600w LED Power Draw

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Calchin1994, May 10, 2019.

1. Hi Guys,

Been looking at switching over to LED from HPS, as people say they use less electricity, but I thought a 600w HPS would consume the same as a 600w LED. Looking online, the 600w MEIHZI LED bulb only has a true power draw of 229 watts. Is the true power draw of a 600w HPS 600 watts and therefore that is the saving?

Thanks

2. Kind of. I think the savings comes from the recommended wattage per square foot of the various light types. Something like a HPS requires 50-60 watts per square foot. LED (quantum boards, not blurple) require 30-40 watts per square foot. Blurples probably require more than QB to be adequate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. I had a King LED 1500 with 310 watts power draw and it was not enough to adequately flower 3 plants in my 2x4. You will probably need 3-4 for a 4x4.

At that price, I suggest buying some LM561C or LM301B boards or strips and wiring your own light. I first built a 3x board light for my 2x4 flower tent with custom frame, and have since built a clone cabinet with 6500k strips, and a 2x board 5000k light with custom frame for my 30”x18” veg tent. It isn’t hard. You CAN build a better light for cheaper.

4. The Meihzi light is 229w actual power draw. And the 600w hps is about 600w actual power draw. You will lose some yeild switching from hps to Meizu led.

5. Here is a calculator to use. You have to know your own g/w for HPS vs what you expect for LED but you can play with it and see the results.

www.raymatix.com/roi-calculator

6. That meihzi shit bulb won't even come close to that hps

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. no that’s bull shit sales marketing to fool people into fucking up there grows.

600w hps is the same as 600w of led. It’s just you don’t need as much led to hit the light numbers you need.

600 actuall watts of led will beat 600w of hps. Plus it runs cooler saving on cooling cost expecially I’m summer.

I’ve recently ditched mh/hps and gone complete quantum board as a lot are starting to do.
    It just cost more money to to set up and the beginning.

8. Idk about beating hid. Maybe equal. Only thing I can think of that would be outbenefitting would be the wider spectrum, so maybe yeah beats it. Hmm I'd say close call

I have some friends who use quantum boards and they produce better than my HID. But I have only done 1 grow so there's that lol. (Might as well not even if brought it up)

From what I've read they are pretty neck and neck.

9. Quantums are good. Their new 550 though is 480w which to me seems a little underpowered. There are some lst/hst you can do that can increase yields with the same lights.

• Like Like x 1
  10. LED is the future.... im certain. even the new quantum boards are definatly a better investment. the upfront cost is slightly more but they also are designed to last a lot longer than a sodium or halide. the bulbs also lost efficiency in heat and eventually dim before blowing. LED tech just wins in the long run. the "turtle" if you will :p 50000 hrs on a lot of them when a good sodium will probably only last you 20000 tops. always hard to say with all the specifics but the new diodes are getting impressive and have room to build. bulb tech is kinda reached its peak i think lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. The MEIHZI led is crap and sneaky marketing. It will not replace the 600w HPS. However using about 480w of quality QBs you can replace the 600w and achieve the same or better yeild.

using DE 1000w hps I was able to hit 1.1-1.3gpw. Using QBs I can hit 1.2-1.5gpw pretty easily. Others have hit 2 or more gpw.

also it generates a little less heat so I don’t need to use the AC as much. Anyone who tells you that you don’t need any AC or strong ventilation doesn’t have enough light hahah

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. 1.3g/w is very impressive on a 1000s HPS. Were you overdriving it so actually at 1200W?

Go play with that calculator link I posted above and plug in your different g/w and electricity. It's cool to see your ROI and yields etc

13. We were overdriving the bulbs. but the GPW calculations were calculated with the additional wattage. We were running CO2 and also a strain we have grown out multiple generations.