600w HPS too much?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by jtex7, Feb 1, 2012.

1. I am looking at purchasing a tent for my first real grow as well as lights and other things to produce good bud. Do you all think putting a 600w HPS lighting system in a tent sized at (36x20x63) would create too much heat?

What do you all think?

Thinking about going through ebay for the purchase. Anyone ever dealt with any vendors off ebay? Anyone have pics of their tent setup with everything?

Also, Do I need the fan and carbon filter for a tent?

2. #2 RO76, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2012
    I have 3x3x6 grow tent with 600w HID light . Temperature is in range . The last year I did the test and run my light on 300w setting for couple of hours and then switched back to 600 , I only noticed 3 degrees temperature difference . Your tent should be fine as long as you can provide cool air to cool down your light (you must have air cooled reflector ) , but slightly bigger ( same size as mine or even 4x4x6 would be much much better . ( I wish that I have 4x4x6 , to my opinion that is the best size - not too big and not too small , just right )Speaking of carbon filter - YES you must have one to avoid odor .It does not meter what strain you grow after 1 st month they begin to stink very strongly . Avoid no name carbon filters , many people complained about poor performance of no brand name filters . Top brands are CAN, PHRESH and PROFILTER .CAN filter require flange installation before mounting to the inline fan . PHRESH filter comes ready to install , no flange installation needed . PROFILTER is unique you can push and also suck air trough it VS 1st 2 filters are made to suck air trough them . I personally have experience with PHRESH filter , I like it , it leave no odor as long as you maintain negative pressure in your tent . For your tent size you need the smallest carbon filter they make - 4" 150 cfm . Speaking of E-bay , I personally do not buy no brand name items, not because I am reach , but because I am poor and can not afford buying cheap crap that has higher chance of failure and as result it will require more money to invest . Do it right from the first time . You can look at any of my grow journals to see my set up .Good luck.

3. Thanks for the input RO76.. Do you recommend any websites that you used or use?

Also, when buying the HPS\MH grow light, what lumen and color tempature should I be looking for?

I had read 2700k for flowering and 6500k for vegatative or something. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Looking at buying those adjustable 250,400,600 grow light with both HPS\MH.

I want to purchase the light by today so if someone could please guide me towards the right direction on this.

Will keep reading

4. Don't worry about color with mh and hps bulbs. As long as you get ones specifically designed to be used in horticulture they will be the correct spectrum.

5. #5 RO76, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2012
    You are welcome . I like Greners.com - Discount Garden Supplies. Hydroponics, Grow Tents, Grow Lights. - Greners.com , I have bought many things from them . They sell quality items and have video revies of virtually everything they sell , they also have some helpfully charts . The only thing I do not like about them is slow shipping ; up to 2 weeks). Speaking of lights I use Digilux bulbs MH and HPS . Digilux is superior than most of the bulbs on the market ( check you tube comparacing reviews ) 600w DIGILUX HPS will give you 90.000 lumen light output . MH bulb is slightly less 75.000 lumen or so. Speaking of CFL - White color light - veg stage , red color is for flowering , so you are right on Kelvin numbers. Now let's talk about the HID light system . When I was researching I ended up with 2 ballast NextGen and Lumatek . Both digital , both quality , but I ended up buying 600w dimmable Lumatek ballast . reason - no moving parts and 5 year warranty ( I am sure NextGen has good warranty as well ) . The point is do not buy cheap crap it has much higher chance of failure and as result you might end up spending more... Do it right from the first time . Good luck.:wave:

6. I know this is super late but I ran 2 600 watt hps lamps in a 5 by 5 room with a 300cfm Maxair air fan and was able to keep my temps down to anywhere from 78 or so down to 65 in the end of flower. 2 600s in a 5 by 5 kicked ass.

7. So would one 600W on a light rail work just as good?

• Like Like x 1