600W HPS Light Too Far Away? Pics

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by The Big C, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Hi All

Been a while since my last post. I have started my second grow. The small 3 small pots are Blueberry and the 4 big pots are 1 Skywalker and 3 Cal. Orange.

I am wondering is my 600W HPS light too far away?

Thanks All

Attached Files:

2. yea,looks like it ...
    with good air movement to defuse some of the heat u should be able to keep a 600w light bout 18 inches abouve the plants..

or as close as possible without burning the plants..

3. thats why hps sucks. Use cfls :hello: Its cheaper an almost just effective but hella easier so its worth it a lot, at least for me. You can put it as close as you want with cfls as long as its more than an inch.:hello: And cfls can grow good bud, trust me.

4. Thanks for the replies guys! Will sort it out tomorrow and post new pics!

Thanks All

5. i have grown using MH , cfl and hps, as well as other less popular lamps and in my 12 yrs of growing, cfls do not produce the kinds of result, in terms of yield growth rate and quality of the finished product, as opposed to lamp with a higher lumen output.

yes they may be hot,and they take some electricity but they are the brightest lamps available and produce the right spectrum and plenty of lumens to optimize flower production and give plants a far better chance or reaching there full genetic potential.

6. Sir-GrOwS-AlOt Damn fuckin Straight Buddy! (Sorry beer starting to hit! :hello: I am a member of the Drunkin' Irish Poets Society. You probably saw me in the St. Patricks Day episode of the Simpsons when Bart gets drunk? I am the guy in the green jacket swinging all the boxes! ( to give someone a box in Ireland means to give someone a punch). You cant miss me!!! ;) we ALWAYS get rowdy:p). Iknow cfl 's "just about" do the job, but HPS DOES IT ALL!!

On another subject, sitting here with no Buds for the last 2 weeks!!!! Shared my 1st grow with people (wouldnt call them friends now) when they were stuck. Now that I am stuck???? Nothin! What a Wanker I am eh? Nah, it is good to share, ESPICIALLY with the ignorant & greedy. Makes me a better Human "Doing" 'cause I am not just Human BEING. This from a man that smokes an Ounce in a week, Every week! WTF? Will except Weed in post! :D

Thanks All As Usual!!

7. i agree that you can get some great bud and decent harvest with floros and cfl's. but if you compair it to that of a hid harvest, it's obvious that the extra lumens that the hps produces goes to good use.

8. Sorry to get off on a rant here... But that is Just not true. Don't hate just because you can't afford an HPS or MH.

A CFL can grow decent pot, that is true, but it is nothing like what you will get with HID. It's just pure science. I myself use CFL's for early vegging (first two weeks or so), but once a plant is ready it is straight to the 250W MH for the rest of veg and 400W HPS for flowering. You can't compare the results. It is like apples and oranges. I have done whole grows with CFL's, and if it is all you can afford, by all means grow with them. But, if you can spare some cash (think of all the money you are saving by growing instead of buying) you will definately be more satisfied with a HID grow as compared to a CFL grow.

And now back to the original question... 18" is usually a good mark. A good way to test if you are too close is to put your hand just above the top of your plants for a minute or so. If the back of your hand gets hot, the light is too close.

Good luck with your grow.

9. Thanks for the replies guys!