600W 8 Plant coco-SCROG WILDNESS!! ~30 days into flower

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by theunit09, Apr 18, 2012.

1. #1 theunit09, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2012
    Alright, So I actually have two grows going right now. Some of y'all may remember the grow i did in my dresser about 6 months ago. It went great but i didn't hit my goal of 1 1/2 Oz. a plant.

I am currently running a 500+ w CFL SCROG in my dresser that has only 3 plants in it, that counts as my 3rd grow (Harvest will be early to mid may), and the one here is now my 4th.

On a separate note I decided I was ready to step it up a notch and try my hand at both Coco and MH/HPS. I was originally going to use a 1000w, but my enclosure is only 42x25x58, and the heat was to much to control. So i ended up with a dimmable 600w digi ballast from my local shop.

So, Here's the full setup:
    -Converted Armoire - 42"x25"x58"
    -600W digi w/ HPS/MH bulbs
    -Mix of Coco with a little bit of Canna Coco added in
    - Canna Nutrients (Coco A/B, zym, rhiz, PK, boost)
    -2 gal (yes they're small) smart pots
    -Homemade screen (was installed after starting flower, managed to make it work)
    -2 6 inch fans for circulation
    -4in inline attached to carbon filter
    -6in HO can fan for light exhaust

Originally I started with 15 seedlings that sprouted between 2/19-2/20. 10 turned out to be female, however one of those turned hermi. I was going to keep all of the other 9, but the other day i realized the bud production on one of the girls on the left was far inferior to the rest and so i have removed her to allow more breathing space for the others. This will be visible in the photos i upload tomorrow, but until then here is veg to about a week ago.

They are currently in day 31 of flower i believe.

Comments, Concerns, and Constructive Criticism are welcome as always

Attached Files:

2. #2 theunit09, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2012
    Oh, and in the 2nd to last pic where it looks like the screen is being pushed up, well it is, but i've fixed that now and it looks a lot better. New pictures to come..

And does anyone have any opinion on the possibility of switching to bigger smart pots this late into flower? As of now the roots seem fine, but i'm a bit worries that as the buds start to really form the roots could either get bound or just not support the mass overall. Thoughts??

3. changing containers could be tricky. if you're careful you could prob do it. thing is, if you're 31 days into flowering, really wouldn't do much. root formation is pretty much done at this point. the whole root-bound talk is pretty much a myth. any sog grower can tell you this. as long as all of the plants needs are met, food, light, they'll do fine. i'd slowly trim all of the leaves under the screen. once it really fills in, they'll be getting almost no light at all. you want all your buds and supporting leaves above the screen.

4. I water every day and i haven't seen any signs of deficiencies. My only issue was letting the coco dry out once, but by watering every day that is never an issue.
    I have trimmed a majority of what's under the screen and will be removing the rest in days to come. I have also trimmed a decent bit of fan leaves above the canopy because they are blocking bud sites and with how crowded things already are i don't want to go overboard and get mold. I'll make sure to snag some undergrowth shots tomorrow night

5. Did another big round of trimming today. Almost the entire undergrowth has been cleared, as well as some of that above the screen. There is still a lot of congestion on the screen, but i'm hoping over the next few days a lot of it clears out as everything grows up a bit.
    I'm heading to boulder for a few days so we'll see how everything looks when i get back. Got my boy watering and everything should be fine in the mean time.

Buds are starting to form nicely now, and for some eye candy...

Attached Files:

6. Whats going on, I'm about 35 days in flower under a screen too.... I'm leaving some leaf under the screen beacause I wanna try and reveg..

Looking forward to see what coco can do

7. i don't think it's necessary to leave anything below the screen. if you wanna reveg just don't chop everything off and revert to 18/6 and i think you'll be fine unless i'm forgetting something. Either way, good luck man and happy 4/20!!

8. Well after quite a bit of time hacking away at the undergrowth, and pruning the tops some too, I have a nice clean set of ladies. I did find out that the plant in the dead center is producing considerably smaller buds than the others at the moment, but we'll see what happens.

Other than that everything seems good. I'm moving the light up a bit since there seems to be some bleaching going on in the center. Doesn't seem to bad though.

Attached Files:

9. So I'm gonna keep updating this thread every week or so with new pics just as a timeline. If I start getting some interest then I can go into more depth and whatnot.

Oh, and I actually took out one girl that was really underproducing. I took a few clippings and if they take root then i'll grow them out (but it seems doubtful)and see what happens. Either way I now have 7 plants in there, which is much more realistic as i originally designed the case for 6 plants in 5 gal smart pots. And the screen is completely full as is. This strain definitely stretches a lot during the first week or so of flower, and i didn't fully account for that, but it all seems to be working out.

On to the pictures (by the way does anyone know how to attach as a full size image instead of thumbnails?

45 days into flower

Attached Files:

10. Day 50 of flowering. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances it looks like everything has to be done by then end of May, and since i have to go back home on may 31st that mean everything will be down in 23 days at the latest.
    I think the bud will be fine, but most likely not completely finished unless i can hold off until the first week or two in June. We'll see..

Anyways, all of the girls are doing pretty well except for the middle left one. I don't know if she got too dried out, but that's what it looks like (damn 2gal smart pots) so i'm just gonna make sure she gets plenty of water and keep an eye on her.

Does anyone know how to attach full-size images instead of thumbnails by chance?

Attached Files:

11. I think full size images only come from when you link from off site URL's. I post from my iPhone and my images look less vibrant than when I originally took them. Dope grow btw, I'm on day day 55 myself! Scrog is definitely the way to go

12. Dre you may be right about that, I stopped linking URL's in order to be at least a little safer in my online posting. It's a bit of a pain though, haha.
    Your grow is looking great, aside from some PH issues it seems, and i think you'll be fine, just got to wait it out and not worry about what the site said about flowering times.

13. #13 hashomon, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2013
    I am now in day 30 of flower. My first SCROG after 3 indoor grows and one auto grow I won't count since the auto plants I grew did not even give me a buzz. 16 sq ft tent but with a good size oscelating (spelling) fan and other stuff, my SCROG area is about 9 sq ft. 2 chronic kush, 2 carmelo, 2 tangerine dream and 1 northern lights. 600 wt hps with air cooled hood and 1 large fan dedicated to it, and another exhaust fan (400cfm). Huge pima klima filter laying on top of tent next to fan. The weather in Berlin right now is quite hot (85) but the tent is doing fine. 
    Problem is, I grew way too many plants (7) but I am not able to discard any because I just can't do it. I got so many damn bud sites! About 70 or so in a 9 sq ft area. Has anyone gotten into this position before? Like to hear any ideas. 
    My last indoor grow (4) gave me a total of 160 gms and i am a happy person to have that. I am looking to an increased yield this time. My first SCROG and I already see my many mistakes but that is how I seem to learn. It is obvious that SCROG is the way for people with limited space. I do have a nice, densly packed screen. I do not know how to make pics with cell and transfer them to computer. I do not ask any friends since no one knows about my grow except me.
    I give thanks to this site and all the ideas I received. In Berlin, Ciao!
    ps. I suppose I could tuck my bud sites but not sure what good they will do at this stage.
    Oh, almost forgot, I am in soil (bio-bizz light) love this stuff, carried through entire veg without any nutes. Good stuff!
    Now I am using Canna Flores (first time), 2 different pot sizes, (mistake) 3 -9 liter and 3 -7 liter. Last grow I used 18 liter and found after harvest I didn't need one so large. It seems the sweet spot is about 12 liter, give or take.