6000 Lumens per Sq/Ft ScrOG-Off

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by whatuthinkin, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Just update this post. The point of this thread is to have the pictures all right here so everyone can see them and not have to go looking. Makes it a lot easier to compare photos.

2. #42 whatuthinkin, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2010

I would say since you seem to be in soil that your goal according to what has been set as the guidelines would be around 8.75 ounces at 6000 lumens/sqft. But you have over 10500 lumens/sqft so you have 1.75 times the lumens/sqft which should in theory put you at 1.75 times the yield which is 15.3 ounces. Again this is all theory and I am not sure if it actually works that way or not.

Ok so it looks like we have 5 people competing so far. We need a few more hydro guys to step up and join or else it'll just be me and Prpl. Anyone?

Also the first post is updated with everyone that has joined and their goals depending on whether they are soil or hydro.

3. I'm trying to secure another 400 HID so I can enter a Hydro set up too. If this is allowed
    it would be a good comparison being in the same environment, grower, nutes etc ...

Just a thought ....

PS
    Thanks for letting me in. I'm going to learn a ton from you guys/gals on this grow.

Killer flick ....
    I can add CFLs to bring up the lumen total to 6K.

Yikes ! 32 OZ would be awesome ... but prolly out of my reach. Talk to me more about converting to hydro. I have several clones in 1 gal pots right now. Cut to rapid rooters then put in FFOF. I was going to transplant into 5 gal pots for the grow but I'm all ears.

Do it ....!

4. No problem man. Everyone is welcome to join this.

I think it would be awesome to see a hydro and soil grow by the same person. But I don't think you would keep growing in soil after the first time....

I would be more than happy to talk to you about switching to a hydro set-up. Any set budget or space? Would you want to do it with the 400w light or another light? How much are you needing to harvest? Once these are answered we can work on finding a system that is perfect for your needs.

5. This is what I'm hoping ... I've always grown in soil but have never been a serious
    grower. Now that I'm trying to control my smoke, both quality and cost, I'm trying
    to get serious and be optimal.

After spending some time on the 'boards" I've come to realize I do want to switch
    over to hydro. It is obviously a more productive medium. I think the forgiving nature
    of soil was a crutch I used. Time to learn more and step out of my box.

I'm hoping to pick up another HID (600 watt) and use it on a hydro grow (side by side)
    and see for myself what works better for me.

I'm building the grow area for this ScrOG Off and could just expand it or if need be split
    it in two. But I really want to take advantage of this groups knowledge during this grow
    and a side by side would really set the playing field for me.

I'll know in a day or two ....

6. Sounds like you have a good plan going. I can't wait to see the side by side. Will be rather interesting. :cool:

7. Does any one have any experience with "arena" style ScrOG?
    It makes sense to raise the outer walls but I have no idea.
    Is their any benefit? Is flat better?

Attached Files:

8. well i know a guy..t bug who use the bent screen thing, he does well with it...
    I would think if the gardener keeps tucking a training there shouldnt be much difference.
    You can train the plants arena with the screen being bent very easily..IMO...
    but hey if ya try it let me know id like to tag along on that one..

9. whatuthinkin... I'm hydro.

10. Do you have more details about your set-up? I need screen dimentions and lighting specifications before I can include you in the competition otherwise we wont know what to set your goal to.

11. I was suggesting something like this to Veeners. I think that this is a good modification to the SCROG.:smoking:

12. I could deffinatelly see the plus side to using the curved screen but that is also a lot harder to make in some situations than a flat screen. But if you have enough room to keep tucking under the larger tops on a flat screen I don't think there would be that much difference in the yield. Anyone seen a side-by-side with those 2 screens?

13. Well .... for the simple fact "you" would tag along is a good enough reason to do it.
    I would love to do a flat screen and an arena style side by side. I may split the lights
    and do just that. But with only 2 x 400 watters I don't have a big fototprint to work with.

It makes sense to me that to catch the outer edges of your light coverage the
    raised edges should help. Now the middle may need to be lower because I think
    there will be an over lapping of coverage and that area will excel more that the
    ends (edges)

The table will be on casters and I'm in a spare bed room so I'll be able to roll the
    table out into an open area to tend all sides easily. I'm going to need to elevate
    the pots under the higher areas too.
    I think I have a good design to go with. I want to build it modular so I can switch
    out sections for different configurations.
    Funny thing happened on the way to the office today ...IT RAINED! like hell and all
    my lumber is staged on the patio .... grrr soaked and now waiting to dry out. So I
    transplanted some of the ScrOG-Off candidates and topped a few others. I'm not
    sure if I should go with a large plant count and saturate the screen or a smaller
    plant count and try to max them out. I'm thinking in the range of 8 or 12 plants.
    My screen will be 36" x 68" (3'x6')

Attached Files:

14. Is my signature invisible? I know you don't want a separate post for my setup, but I do, and you did, so deal with it.

15. Uwill3 you are not getting it. Everyone that is entered in this has a journal with full grow details. That is not what this is. This is a competition and we are posting information about our set-ups and then periodic updates to keep up with the competion. We aren't posting our entire grows here. The reason we do this is so all the people here in GC can see the competition without spending 2 hours going through different threads. And what do you mean I did? I have a journal for my grow I started months ago. Well before this was an idea.

16. If you're interested in looking at some grows similar to what you're describing, you may have better luck seaching the term "V-SCROG"

Here is an example that always peaked my curiosity.

[​IMG]

17. 2 four foot Floros, w/ 4 total aquatic bulbs... This is for vegetating. Probably 150watts each... (300 total)
    1 600w HPS w/ diamond reflector for flowering
    Approx 14 sq/ft Octagon Screen
    27gallon reservoir w/ 5" baskets and 12" airstone
    Medium: 90% Hydroton 10% Silica Stone
    Nuts: Using Micro, Grow, Bloom, & Flowering additive Ginormous
    Expected yield: 20oz
    Veg time: 10 to 12 weeks
    Flower time: 8 or 9 weeks

Thats for all you lazy mouse clickers...

Wow, pretty cool smoove, Looks like a high yield for a extra small area.

18. wow that V scrog is amazing smoove , got a link to the log? I totally agree with it , the bulb burns in a circle shape , if you raise the edges everything is the same distance from the bulb.

If that's the case your better off raiseing all the edges , more like a Bowl shape... That should prove to be some good light distribution:D

I'll leave it for someone else to try =) I love how a flat scrog looks. That idea is undoubtably good though

19. I agree with hype here. I am very interested in the V-ScrOG method. And the bowl does sound like it would be a good idea but there are issues with ventallation lines and things of that nature. I wonder how big that area is and what the yield was. And compare that to a normal ScrOG about that size. I wonder if there is a significant difference or if it is better suited for smaller grows that are really limited on space?

20. #60 iCLONE, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010

DAMN!

That's a bit more radical than I was thinking. But DAMN! that is impressive.
    It looks like the idea here is to keep all surfaces 18" - 24" away from light.
    I was just wanting to grab the light bleed off but this is a rethinker now.

Also I'm going with PVC instead of wood. Especially sense my lumber is on
    my patio soaking wet. Geee that's all it took to make me realize wood isn't
    the best material to use in a wet environment. :rolleyes: