600 or 1000?? Switching during flowering.

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by M3DICIN3MAN420, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Hey guys and girls.
    My 1000 watt ballast and bulb got here today :) Now I already have a 600 out there and about 7 plants finishing up flowering.
    Looking for opinions on if its worth the switch or if I should just put the new ballast and bulb away for now?
    Also, how will it change my temps?
    I have a cool tube with a 240 cfm fan on it and a 5500 btu window ac blowing in there.
    Thanks for any input.

2. I would switch it out ASAP. Give those ladies lumens!

The 1000 will run hotter than the 600. I do not know how balanced your system is now to tell you if you will have a problem or not.

3. Hey, thanks for a response.
    My temps run about 70-80. They'll creep higher on hotter days when the garage is real warm.
    How big of a difference we talking from the light? 3 of the 7 will be taken out within a week or 2.

4. Honestly, IDK how big a heat difference. You might do a search to see if you can find the answer. I know that it will be significant, likely up to twice, since the wattage is almost twice.

If you do experience heat problems you could add another fan to the intake of your cool tube. That would increase the flow and help with the heat.

5. Try out the 1000 now and see how much heat it adds and whether you can fix the issue quickly with more ventilation. If not, finish up under your 600 and start planning on how to increase the ventilation to bring down the temperature.

6. [quote name='"usedtocare"']Try out the 1000 now and see how much heat it adds and whether you can fix the issue quickly with more ventilation. If not, finish up under your 600 and start planning on how to increase the ventilation to bring down the temperature.[/quote]

I actually just got inside from hooking it up and getting my bulb in. I also hooked up my other 240 fan that's pulling air from in front of my ac. I think my ac has about had it from this summer. I'll invest in a better on next year.

7. Well guys, less than 5 hours later I know I will be putting my 600 back out there. Temps hit 93! Girls look fine but I'll still be switching it out later tonight.
    Which is fine because my 400 was too hot in the small space for my single plant in veg so she'll do fine under the T5. She's in a 10 gallon so plenty of veg time later in the tent.

8. I adjust to lights on at night during the summer months to combat heat

9. [quote name='"deman81k"']
    I adjust to lights on at night during the summer months to combat heat[/quote]

Yeah, I do the same thing. Kick on at 4pm-ish and off at 2:30am. Thanks for the input though man. I will be out of my tent soon so hopefully heat won't be a big issue.