600 hps replacement bulb problems

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by billigreen, Jan 12, 2009.

1. so ive been using a 600 w lighting system and my bulb recently burned out. i went to a local hydroponic store and purchesed a new bulb. it was a middle priced bulb and nothing too special. when i got home and pluged it in, the bulb would just give off a faint blue glow (very faint). i brought back the light and explained my problem to him thinking it was a bad bulb but when he tried it out it worked perfect. we proceded to look up my system online and he explained that my system will not work with that bulb but i would need one that ran on a little different frequency.

does any of this make since to anybody? do different systems run on different frequencys of bulbs? what bulb do i need to by to make it work. (i dont want to go back to that place and get help because the guy was an ass hole and would not let me return the brandnew bulb.)

my system is:
    is a high performance CoolStar 600w quad voltage ballast
    with an EasyCool 6 reflector
    both were purcheds from High Yield Hydroponics. (would like to avoid ordering a bulb)

thanks for the help everybody

2. soo just wanted to bumb this up and see if anyone can help. were in a hurry to fugure this problem out because we are using our backup light - a 250W hps but that is not enough light for 6 small plants that we have.

any advise would be great.

3. This is all i no,,:confused: match watts and hps or mh to ur system. Could ur ballast have bought the farm?

4. From a little reading on yer ballast it says it work with sunmaster bulbs, have you tried these ? Where To Buy, also i could only see an HPS version of the coolstar. Are you sure u bought an HPS bulb and not a MH bulb. If you bought the ballast from that hydro shop they should be able to see you the right bulb, if not, sorry budy your own fault and you cant return :(

5. Yeah, i think you have a HPS ballast, and you bought the wrong lamp. The MH will give off a blue glow, whereas the HPS gives off an reddish orange.

6. Speaking of bulb replacement. I'm stressing over buying a new bulb or not. Yes I'm poor

Is this guy very wrong? Or very right? Screenshot_20200110-064036.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Grasscity Forum mobile app