60+

Discussion in 'General' started by old pothead, May 6, 2019.

1. Did u over do it? That's the problem. Some get too high and don't like it!! CBD is the mellow antidote

Sent from my SM-G935T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hey it's Mikey!

Uhhh I don't qualify for this room opps sorry. Only 47

Sent with my new and improved pet rock v7.9

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. yes I got tore up from the floor up.:eek2:

4. Does anyone else think the name of this thread should reflect something about our senior group still smoking after all these years? 60+ seems too unimaginative.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. I love it.

6. But if i come back in 20 year's you'll be in your 80's, so will you let me join your 80's club then?:huh:

• Like Like x 2
  7. 66 in July. This body served me very well for almost 60 years. Now it’s a broken mess. The transition from participant to observer has been rough, but getting buzzed and watching all that’s going on today puts a smile on my face. You young guys are crazy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. :lmafoe::jump::jump::jump::jump:Could always call us the Broken Parts Club :lmafoe::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:

• Like Like x 3
  9. 62 years old down here.
    I really loved the Thai Buddha sticks from the 70's in melbourne and the mullumbimby madness and tuntable heads from up nth nsw , haven't been back there since '79.

• Like Like x 2
  10. A name for a forum....
    I am honored to be a member of the 'Old Gonads Motorcycle Club' (ret)...
    it has possibilities; no age limit, no gender discrimination...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Suspect there are more weed smokers from my generation than any others. Smoking since 68.

I'm a now retired senior, older than you though I look younger and have exceptional athletic skills. Like I offtrail backpack carrying half my weight. Like few gray hairs, little wrinkled skin, body shape of a twentysomething with a 22 BMI or so all my life. But I've never been a frequent everyday smoker because I hate the reduced high quality due to tolerance build ups and rather greatly enjoy a clean super high. Besides over decades I had several of the most difficult jobs in hi tech debugging complex electronics that requires a clear head, thus a good reason not to get stoned during m-f 8-5 periods. And also am a prime case of someone that has smoked over decades whose high intelligence is still impressive thus no long term mental effects.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. Also a baby-boomer and and miss the good ol'days:
    DDT
    Asbestos
    Napalm
    Agent orange
    Lead paint
    No internet
    No cell phone
    Rotary dials on phones
    Privacy
    10$ lids (Cali was always cheap)
    Free speech
    American manufacturing
    The Beverly Hillbillies
    Rock music (what ever happened to that?)

Okay, I don't really miss napalm and A.O.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Also a baby-boomer and and miss the good ol'days:
    DDT
    Asbestos
    Napalm
    Agent orange
    Lead paint
    No internet
    No cell phone
    Rotary dials on phones
    Privacy
    10$ lids (Cali was always cheap)
    Free speech
    American manufacturing
    The Beverly Hillbillies
    Rock music (what ever happened to that?)

Okay, I don't really miss napalm and A.O.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I started in 68 too!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. I'll be 72 end of July. Been smoking since I was 19. I read and collect studies on cannabis, the cannabinoids and the endocannabinoid system as a hobby. I've been into the hash today, so sorry this is so long, but it is important!

Here's my advice to all you old hippies - Take your Omega 3! :yay:

Here's why- you need some Omega 3 to properly hook up your CB1 receptors that produce the high :GettingStoned: (and they do much more beyond that)! The earliest study I have found about this is just a "mouse study", and the 1 paragraph abstract is fairly easy to read.

Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions. (abst – 2011) Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions. - PubMed - NCBI

For those of you who don't want to read even the abstract, here’s the key sentence- “In n-3-deficient mice, presynaptic cannabinoid CB(1) receptors (CB(1)Rs) normally responding to endocannabinoids were uncoupled from their effector G(i/o) proteins.”

(n-3 = Omega 3; the "effector G(i/o) proteins" act like radio speakers and send the message ("I'm high", "stop the pain", etc) into your cells.)

And here's the second short abstract on why you really need to get more anti-inflammatory Omega 3 and cut back on the pro-inflammatory Omega 6!

“The importance of the ratio of omega-6/omega-3 essential fatty acids” The importance of the ratio of omega-6/omega-3 essential fatty acids. - PubMed - NCBI

Key sentence- “Excessive amounts of omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) and a very high omega-6/omega-3 ratio, as is found in today's Western diets, promote the pathogenesis of many diseases, including cardiovascular disease, cancer, and inflammatory and autoimmune diseases, whereas increased levels of omega-3 PUFA (a low omega-6/omega-3 ratio) exert suppressive effects.”

(pathogenesis = development)

Most of our cooking oils are high in Omega 6 and have little Omega 3. Your choice of cooking oils may be affecting both your high and your health. Interestingly, hemp seed oil (no high, available at health food stores and larger markets) has the right Omega 6/3 balance for human health! There are a lot of articles about Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratios and health.

OK, I'll get off my soap box and stop ranting! LOL

Granny

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. I think I hate you.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Seems sound to me.

18. Another Great Post Granny, question?
    What cooking oil would you recommend for use at home I am already taking Omega 3 caps.
    Would virgin coconut oil be better?
    Thank You

19. Coconut oil is an Omega 9 oil with some Omega 6 and no Omega 3. Omega 9 is also found in olive oil.

Here's a link with the ratios for most popular oils.Healthiest Cooking Oil Comparison Chart with Smoke Points and Omega 3 Fatty Acid Ratios | Cancer Schmancer

Of the popular oils, I avoid corn, peanut, safflower, soy, and sesame oils - when you look at their ratios, you'll see why. I use olive oil, canola oil (cold pressed and organic- when I can afford it :coolalt:), hemp seed oil, butter, and occasionally, coconut oil.

Primitive people get a ratio of between a 1/1 ratio to 4 parts Omega 6 to 1 part Omega 3. One study found some folks on a modern diet get a 50 / 1 ratio! :eek2: I take a varying amount of plant and animal sourced Omega 3 ( a "wild" human would not get the same amount each day)- between 2 and 4 grams per day.

Most heart studies used 4 or (usually) more grams of Omega 3 per day, so I feel 4 grams should be a safe upper limit for most people. However, if you are on blood thinners or have a bleeding disorder, talk with your doctor before talking Omega 3.

FYI- Flax seed oil is the best vegetable source of Omega 3, but doesn't really taste that good, so it is best in capsules. Hemp seed oil is tasty, a pretty green color, and makes a nice Italian dressing that does not get all "clumpy" in the fridge like olive oil does. Both oils should be kept refrigerated.

Farmed fish are fed a corn- and soy-based diet and have lower levels of Omega 3 than wild-caught. Buy only "wild-caught" fish that is minimally processed. Same with beef. Feed-lot beef is lower in Omega 3 than grass-fed.

We are in the middle of being "experimented" on by the food manufacturers. The abstract of “Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions” ends up with two rather troubling sentences-

"Finally, the dietary-induced reduction of CB(1)R functions in mood-controlling structures was associated with impaired emotional behavior. These findings identify a plausible synaptic substrate for the behavioral alterations caused by the n-3 PUFAs deficiency that is often observed in western diets.”

So are our cooking oils changing our behaviors for the worse? Impairing our emotional behavior? And just how long will the effects of this nutritional experiment affect us? This next study's results frightens the hell out of me!

One generation of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid deprivation increases depression and aggression test scores in rats One generation of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid deprivation increases depression and aggression test scores in rats

Granny

• Like Like x 1