60 watts of organic goodness

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by FunTimeGrowHap, Aug 6, 2016.

1. #1 FunTimeGrowHap, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    So it has been a little while since I last grew. I was rocking 2x400 watts of ceramic metal halide and high pressure sodium with 5 gallon buckets of a homemade organic soil, along with a cfl cabinet for mothers and cuttings. I am serious about growing strictly organic and am not satisfied unless the end result is supreme. I started dicking around 10-15 years ago with miracle gro and abysmal results, but about five years ago I was shown some new tricks

I have plans to use Neem oil, Dr. Bronner's soap, aloe, marigolds, thyme, rosemary, and spicy spicy peppers to spray on a schedule throughout veg and into the first two weeks of 12/12 to hopefully enjoy a problem-free week 9 or 10 in flower.

Also, I intend to water in seed sprout teas and kelp teas throughout the process, along with with alfalfa during the veg phases. Anywho.......more pics!!!

EDIT: Such high hopes lol. No kelp. The spray is shitty neem oil with unscented dawn for emulsification.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Damn.....a blast from the past. How ya doing Hap? Long time no see. Sounds like you have a good soil and all the necessaries for a good organic grow. You should drop in and say hello in the Organics Lounge. I'm sure Jerry and Tree would like to say hello.

• Like Like x 2
  3. #3 FunTimeGrowHap, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    Much love, Chunk Daddy! I shot my old homeboy Jerry a message and will definitely pop over the lounge. You know I love chilling with my old homies at another site, but I wanted to show an easy and cheap way for the rest of us tiny growers to grow ganja with proper respect to the plant.

• Like Like x 2
  4. #4 FunTimeGrowHap, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    IMG_20160715_1044046_rewind.jpg the light. 23 watt CFLs offer the highest lumen per watt rating for fluorescent bulbs. This setup probably set me back about $10.
    IMG_20160804_2213490_rewind.jpg
    The grow media. I scored a bail of promix, which is peat moss and a little perlite, for ten bucks. A $3 bag of lava rock covers aeration. For compost I used a mix of thermophilic compost from my tiny town's compost heap and some locally produced castings. To amend the mix I threw in a couple handfuls of Espoma Garden-Tone. Final recipe was 40% promix, 15% castings, 15% compost, and 30% smashed up lava rocks with about three cups espoma per cubic foot (this batch was nowhere near a cubic foot), along with all the dust from the rock whacking. Altogether I have maybe $30 tied up into it, but I could make a whole lot more soil with what I have.
    IMG_20160715_1043399_rewind.jpg A sub-irrigated planter. Made this out of trash so $0. I love these things. Totally fool proof.
    IMG_20160804_2212543_rewind.jpg the cab. There is a light trap behind the pot to let air in. That hole near the top is where a pc fan and homemade carbon filter will go. Still need to attach the door of course. The only thing I bought here was some activated charcoal and I still need a charger to power the fan. Everything else was done with scraps and junk.

Altogether I have about $50 bucks into this rig. It might take another $20-30 to get the timer, some cords, and the charger to run the fan. I am expecting about an ounce of the finest ganja per run from this setup. And with only 92 watts the power draw should be almost nothing.

• Like Like x 2
  5. #5 FunTimeGrowHap, Aug 6, 2016
    The Garden-Tone had me feeling a little insecure, so I beefed it up a bit. All of the powder from smashing up the lava rocks was mixed into the soil. (Red and black lava rocks are scoria, grey lava rocks are pumice. Scoria is mafic in composition, pumice is felsic....just like basalt and granite.....scoria dust is basically basalt dust). I also went out and grabbed some potent accumulator plants, chopped them up, and whisked them into one part water and one part castings then poured that over the top. IMG_20160805_1743122_rewind.jpg Yarrow, echinacea, and nettles. You need to figure out what you have nearby. This is what happens to be in my neck of the woods. When I lived in the south I used colocasia, kudzu, and dandelion.
    IMG_20160806_1014463_rewind.jpg Accumulators and casting slurry to kick it off right. I will let this relax for a month before planting.

• Like Like x 3
  6. #6 FunTimeGrowHap, Aug 6, 2016
    And just for shits and giggles, some shots from my old 800 watt garden..... IMG_20140821_185427.jpg flower.jpg nug.jpg The top pic is Jamaican Lambs Bread gifted to me by someone who brought it back from the island. The bottom two are Lumperdawgz The One x Cherry Bomb. Swami seed hooked me up with the F1 and I made some F2s and backcrossed the best one to a good cut from the F1s.

• Like Like x 4

7. And some sick reggae to move my soil along....

8. we do seem to be in a similar boat, altho my setup will be using 100watts LED lights, with optimal light range for veg and flo... For now I have 2 coming, and I will get some more

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ya I have no experience with LEDs, but I do with CFLs. Plus they are cheap and that was one of the goals with this project.

10. I like the way you think, I might get in on these for my mother plant... the dollar store nearby got some lightbulbs, just like the one you have exept they're 13w.

Would it work properly, or I would need more lightning?

11. I don't know for sure. The 23 watt bulbs offer the highest lumen per watt ratio, so those are all I use anymore. Four of those can take a small plant through flower. 6 or 7 of the 13 watters might be enough to hold a mother.

12. Nice grow. Mines similar. I have a pc server iv done a few grows through, also using around 92 watts. My question is how condensed do you expect the bud to be? Mine always seem to come out fluffy and not very strong. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. Looks like a great setup, I'll be watching this closely to see how it turns out!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ya, that is a tough one to get around. Even in my days of running 400's my end results were not as dense as what friends were doing outside or inside with 1000 watt HIDs. The best way with CFLs is to always keep them within 2-3 inches by adjusting them daily. Even then the buds will never be as dense. As for potency issues, I would suggest delaying harvest as long as possible. You can expect CFLs to take a little longer.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Looks like I'm going to have to invest in some HIDs then. I think I'm going to need more room than this tower. Anyways, good luck on your grow and thanks for the response

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  16. #16 FunTimeGrowHap, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Update.....never got around to this grow. I did just recently rig up a nice little computer fan and homemade carbon filter for the cab. Spent a couple of bucks on way more activated charcoal than I needed and jammed it all into the unit. I also traded a friend some cool beans, so I can get off my ass and get this thing happening any day now LOL.

I also whipped up a big batch of nettle FPE. Left over carcasses from cleaning my catches have been dehydrated and pulverized to make some homegrown fish meal. Old oyster shells have been saved and pulverized. Same with lobster and crab shells. Alfalfa hay has been tossed into the blender to make some alfalfa meal. I still need to whip myself up a small worm bin for fishing bait and the occasional casting slurry.

• Like Like x 1
  17. #17 FunTimeGrowHap, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019

And some more fiya reggae to hold di vibes

• Like Like x 1
  18. A good friend hooked me up with some of the same genetics that led to the last nug pic. I feel like everything is in place now.

19. Hey im al
    Awesome cheap setup. Gives beginners a good understanding of what one plsnt needs. I had a question how do u
    You make your own filters. Im experimenting and i thing i have found a way to use a recycled car air filter and activated charcoal. Thanks man

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cool man. I used a PC fan and power source, duct tape, a bunch of activated charcoal, some pantyhose and ducting. I can give you some pics if you want, but you are picking up what I'm laying down, right?

• Like Like x 1