6 Plant Hydro Watt Question

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Sade, Jul 6, 2014.

1. So my hydro is set up for six plants in a 3 x 3 x 6.5 tent. Do I want a 1000watt hps? Or is that too much?

Let's Smoke About It....

2. You only need 600w for a 3'x3' tent.  I even use a 600w in a 4x4 area.  6 fully grown mature plants will be hard to fit in that area.  Might want to try 4.

3. ok so a 400 watt hps with a ballast?

Let's Smoke About It....
    Oh sorry just noticed that ok thanks. Only personal anyways

Let's Smoke About It....

4. Honestly I would go with a 600 over 400 for that extra oompff.  The initial startup cost difference is not a lot between the 2.  Also there is much debate across the webs if a 600w should be used for 3'x3' area or 4'x4' area.  I guess the reflector adds great variable to this as well.  It wouldn't hurt to have the extra bit of light and the 600w has a bit better light penetration-more lumens further away from the bulb than a 400w.

Check out this chart for example.  Notice the difference of lumens @ 18 inches away from the bulb.  A 600w is nearly double that of a 400w.

Light Chart.jpg

Also do you have adequate ventilation?  Ever considered LED?

Get the 1,000w run it dimmed to flowering. dont use that tent for flowering, get a bigger one. 

6. Well im just doing 2 plants at first. Im not doing non stop. Grow, flower, and harvest then repeat from beginning.

Let's Smoke About It....

well then you will want the most you can pull. The 1,000 can be dimmed down but later on when you want a bigger light you have it. You cant run a 400 w at 220%. :D