5x5 Tent setup and yield

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by SuperBabyMethod, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Hey everyone, I'm looking at setting up a 5x5 tent in my house using a 1000 MH bulb with a cool tube and carbon filter. I'd like to maximize the output of the tent by cloning and letting them grow for a few weeks. My question is how much can someone get from a setup like this if all is done properly? Is it possible to get 1 pound or more a month?

2. You might be able to yield a half of a gram per watt which would be a little over 17 OZ. Plants usually take about 3 to 4 months to finish so around 17 OZ in 3 to 4 months. If you want to yield more I can suggest to upgrade your light to provide more light since a 1000 is a bit weak for that area. Also, make sure you are using Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil or other decent soil. Most important things are light and soil followed by water, nutes and growing pot.

3. 1000w is NOT weak for a 5x5. I've done a side by side test, from clone, in 4x4 tents and came to the conclusion that a 5x5 is the smallest area you want to use a 1kw light in. 600w vs 1kw in a 4x4, the 1kw yielded less than an oz more than the 600, hardly worth the cost of running an extra 400w. Tom Hill uses a single 1kw in his 8x8 tent with stellar results. I personally use 1kw in a 6x6 area.

A pound per month is not really going to be possible, however with dialed in conditions, the right strain,and a dedicated veg tent/cab, 2lbs every 2 months is possible. Expect closer to a pound off 1kw until you get it down to a science.

Let me further explain the first parapraph. The reason many growers do not achieve 1 gram per watt of light is due to them lighting too small of an area with their light. While you CAN light a 3x3 with 1kw, you will not yield more than a 600w and only barely more than a 400w. All that light is wasted because the plants are limited by space restrictions. You're limiting the capabilities of your lights by putting them in too small of an area.

In my side by side test, that extra 400w only yielded me less than an oz, when a 400w lamp alone will yield far more than an oz. I believe I got about 9oz of my last 400w grow, so I saw it as I was selling myself short a half lb, when I was paying for enough electricity to earn it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. So, 2 600's in a 6.5 x 6.5 should be good? what do you think?

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Would be good. I'd suggest investing in a light mover if you have the funds. That would be pretty much ideal.

6. So if I'm in a 4x4 with a 1000w hps and I'm planning on upgrading to a bigger tent. Would I be better off with 3 600s in a 4x8, 2 1ks in a 4x8, or 2 1ks in a 5x10? I can sell the 1000w I have no problem if need be. Looking for optimal setup for yield first and efficiency second. Thanks much guys.

7. I'd say 2 1k's in a 5x10.

In my own tests, I've found that a 1000w does not yield significantly more than a 600w in a 4x4 tent. The smallest area I'd use a 1kw in is a 5x5. I did a side by side in a 4x4 tent with a 600w vs 1000w, all clones from the same mother plant. The 1000w yielded less than an oz more than the 600w, hardly worth running a whole extra 400w for when you can yield significantly more with a 400w in a 3x3.

8. That doesn't make much sense to me. Shouldn't you have gotten a few more ounces just based on the penetration power of 1k vs 600?

9. I am about to run a 1000 watter in a 5x5 tent. I am going to run 6 plants in 7 gallon pots. I am thinking 24ozs for the first run should not be out of line to shoot for. In a space like this less plants is going to be your friend IMHO. I also run a 600 in a 3x3 tent and to be honest I could get away with a 400 just fine, but it is digi and dimmable so I can tame it down it I need to..(450 watts). I do like to do a run of autos now and then and then crank it up to 600 for them while flowering. I highly recommend getting atleast a 8" fan for that 5x5..I tried to half ass it and get by with a 6" inline and it didn't cut it. Nice thing is my veg tent got a much needed fan filter upgrade. Hope this helps. Come check me out on my thread. I am setting this up as we speak...we can see how a setup like this can perform. I am thinking really well.

• Like Like x 2

10. I wonder how container size factors into the equation. If the 1kw had bigger pots in the same size space do you think you would've yielded more?

I only ask out of curiosity, I completely agree with what you said. I've considered putting my 400w in a smaller box until it occurred to me that there's no way I could pull the same weight in such a confined space. Your findings support that, thank you for posting them.

11. I doubt bigger pots would have helped the 1kw produce more vs the 600, but I can see it being reasonable that each would have yielded more.

I did something of a SOG in 4 gallon square pots - only I vegged until 15" and they finished up just under 3' tall, so I don't really think my pots were undersized and not a limiting factor.

12. what do you think of a 2x 600wHPS set up in a 5x5 grow tent?

13. I'm going to buy this 5x5 grow tent. So 1000w or 2 x 600w is suitable?

14. Go with a 1000w an get another inline fan an another booster fan. Run one inline for the lights only making sure the fan is before the lights so it blows over them an not pulling air over them. An use the other inline fan for the exhaust with the carbon an use the inline booster fan for fresh air if that makes sense. An get 4 6in clip fans for air circulation around the tent. Hope this helps man.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Grasscity Forum mobile app