5gal pots vs 3gal pots

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by zongRippa, Dec 12, 2009.

1. So Tomorrow i will be ordering everything i need off of HTG for my grow setup. gunna cost me a pretty penny but its well worth it.

i came to the dilemma of the fact that my 400w's area lighting isnt too too great.
    my problem being i was gunna order 5gal pots for my plants. i wanted a minimum of 4 plants and i was thinking that the pots would have to be touching for it to manage all 4 plants.

would me getting 3 gal pots have a lot to do with the total outcome of the plants. i never really read much about it in my research. i was wondering what the difference in pot size had to do with the plants overall status.

i just dont want to run into a problem with my setup considering i was thinkin about testing out a scrog. i just dont want everything to be too clutterd and if i can fit more plants with smaller pots then id be happy.

thanks again guys.

2. you'll get a better yield with 5 gals over 3 gals IF you have the lighting to accommodate it imo.

but if your running a 400w i'd probably go with the 3 gals.. i think you'll get more usable bud off the plants that way.

3. I've heard of a lot of different methods on deciding pot size

Some people say 1 foot per gallon - so a 5 gallon pot will allow for a 5 foot plant, and a 3-gallon pot will allow for a 3 foot plant

some people say 1 month per gallon... so in a 5 gallon bucket you could keep a plant for 5 months, and in a 3-gallon bucket you cold keep it for 3 months.

Having said all of that -- I have certainly read where people have kept mother plants for cloning alive for much longer periods of time in both 3 and 5 gallon pots.

4. they have such thing as a 5gal tall pots.

5. Another option, from my journal...Scroll about half way down for the before and after pics..

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-g...rs-first-grow-journal-ww-seedsman-fem-10.html

"4 Gallon Pots

I just started germing 9 more and all of them will be topped. I REALLY wanted to use 4 Gallon pots this time. 3 seems a little small for what I'm growing and 5 seems like a bit much so here is what I did...

I bought nine 5 Gallon grey "pails" at Lowe's for $2.34 each. They're HDPE and 70 mil's thick. Completely opaque.

I took a 5 gallon "pail" and poured 4 gallons of water in it. I measured from the water surface to the very top and it was 3 1/4". I took a hack saw and cut all of them off just above the lip on the outside. That brought the 4 Gallon "surface line" down to about 1 1/2" from the top. Drilled four 3/4" drain holes and that's it. Took me about an hour to do 9 of them."