5gal No dilution needed compost/ewc tea

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Skip I am, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Anyone have a recipe for tea that doesn't need to be diluted? Basically I have 0 use for anything more than 5 gallons of it at a time right now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. In a 5 gallon bucket, I add 2 cups of good compost, 2 Tbs unsulfured black molasses, 2 Tbs liquid kelp, and 2Tbs hydrolyzed fish guts. Fill with dechlorinated water and you can aerate it for a few days, if you want the beneficial bacteria.

3. #3 Smokey B McBongwater, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    I've done 1cup of ewc per gal of water. dilute or no dilute, didn't make a difference, tried it both ways, did both foliar and soil drench. even straight there was no burning.

I'm new at soil / organic growing having started with hydro dwc so I'm toward to bottom of the list of people to take advice from, but at least the above was my experience.

I'm not doing EWC teas anymore - currently going with kelp tea and will go to kelp / alfalfa teas after day 25. I did add ewc to my first kelp tea but only because I had it, it was in front of me and I have no self-control!

• Like Like x 1
  4. 5 usg / 20 liters? 3cups compost 1/2 cup fish guts, 1/4 honey or brown suger(its got mollasses)
    fill with de gassed water bubbles 24 hours

dump to plants

do not dilute

good luck

• Like Like x 1
  5. I have kelp meal as well and ff bone meal. How are you doing the kelp and alfalfa? One of my Autos is in late flower and the other just showed pre flower pistols 3 days ago. 20190414_200928.jpg

6. they look really nice! hope my current ones look even close, they are only at day 22, or so, i forget, have to look at my chart lol
    Also growing autos here
    one is just showing prefllower postals a few days ago, the other showed just yesterday., you are MUCH further ahead than me.

for the teas I'm following Organic sinse's great advice, he is about the King of Auto's around here it seems :) and VERY generous with his info and knowledge,

to make it easier and to get you the full information, here is a copy / paste of the watering / tea schedule he posted for me. BTW, I'm following it pretty good except a few items that he said I could easily skip this time without issues: I'm not doing the Corn SST this round.
    make use of it as you will. :)

hope this helps. BTW, check out his great thread on growing auto's

I am going to list out what I do when I am trying to hit it out of the park. Its what I basically am doing this round. This isn't gospel, and its kind of the average for most strains. Its not my minimalist schedule, that I ran for my previous 12 plants.

Independent of this tea schedule, I foliar daily, at least, with aloe water, until its far enough along into flower that I don't feel comfortable applying foliars anymore.

Tea schedule- right around day 18 I start using kelp tea. I foliar this, and drench what is left over. It really doesn't take much to do this. Maybe a quart total. I kind of run my pots a little toward the 'light' or dryer side at this point in time, so that I can water or add teas a couple times a week.

I stick with kelp tea, applying every other or every 3rd day foliar and soil drench until about day 25. At that point I switch to a kelp /alfalfa tea. Every other or every 3rd day. Foliar spray and drench whats left.

When the plant starts showing lots of pistols at the bud sites, I use a Blue corn SST, soil drench. I use this in place of one of the kelp/alfalfa tea applications. So at this point its something like kelp/ alfalfa, Blue corn sst, kelp/ alfalfa, plain water, kelp/mbp sst, plain water, kelp/alfalfa, blue corn sst, plain water, kelp/mbp sst, plain water, then I just alternate plain water and kelp /alfalfa tea. Use your best judgement when you want to stop foliar feeding the kelp/ alfalfa tea and just soil drench. I have been going pretty far into flower with the foliars lately myself, but the conditions were just right. You could also continue feeding the kelp mbp sst till the pistols start to turn color. I usually want to cut out the mbp/sst about 1 1/2-2 weeks before harvest.

The trick is to just watch the plants. If you see slight tip burn, just go water. Don't overwater for the sake of "I think it wants a tea". The reality is, with the soil mixes most of us are running, we can grow nice plants with just water, so don't go crazy. I honestly think I probably get more bang out of the kelp/alfalfa tea as a foliar, than as a soil drench. That is something to keep in mind, especially when the plants are young, and don't use much water. When it doubt, foliar and let the soil dry out (a little bit).

The tea recipes are basic.

Kelp tea- 1 Tablespoon kelp meal, 1/4 teaspoon aloe 200x, 1 gallon of water. Let sit for 24 hours in a warm spot.

Kelp/ alfalfa tea- add 1 Tablespoon of alfalfa to kelp tea. Let sit for 24 hours in a warm spot.

Kelp/ MBP SST- 1 Tablespoon of Kelp to a gallon of water. Let sit for 24 hours in a warm spot. Add 2-3 Tablespoons of malted barley powder (ground as finely as possible right before adding to mixture), add bubble for 2 hours. Add 1/4 teaspoon 200x aloe and soil drench. (I know this is kind of the 'old way' but I like it better than topdressing mbp)

Blue corn SST- 2-3 tablespoons sprouted corn kernals into blender with a small amount of water and blend like crazy. Add to 1 gallon of water and soil drench.

*I use a paint filter bag to strain all of these teas before I put the tea in my chapin.The tea dregs go to the worm bins.

*If you make a kelp or kelp/ alfalfa tea, and you decide that the plant doesn't need more water, let it sit another day. The tea will be fine, and may be just a touch stronger.

*I am not mentioning IPM, that is up to each person as their needs are all different.

To sum it up. Don't overwater. Don't start teas too early. Try and give her kelp 2x, before adding alfalfa to the mix. Wait till she is showing lots of pistols before adding sst's. Quit ssts 1 1/2 -2 weeks before harvest.

hth

cheers

os

hope this helps. BTW, check out his great thread on growing auto's

7. It's just 1 auto flowering and 2 others in veg. The rest of the room is the others for this outdoor season.

8. Handful of alfalfa into a gallon bucket I dilute but also refill with water. I take a coffee cup or two out strain it. Pour dregs back in or too dress. Then refill with water. This is good for two weeks or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  9. How late in flower is too late to use soil drench for the alfalfa?

10. 5 Gallon Kelp Tea:
    1/4 cup kelp meal, steep 24H, strain and apply.

5 Gallon Neem Meal Tea
    :
    1/2 cup neem/karanja meal, steep 24H, strain and apply.

5 Gallon Alfalfa Meal Tea
    :
    1/2 cup alfalfa meal, steep 24H, strain and apply.

Sprouted Seed Tea
    :
    Sprout 1oz of barely grain per gallon of tea you want to make.
    Once a short tail emerges from the barely place in blender with enough water to turn into paste.
    Add the rest of the water, strain and apply.

• Like Like x 6
  11. I just did some to my cookies. I just did Mbp also. I Foliar it also they love it. I’m a week or two from cutting it down.

That’s why I dilute and then re add water it’s not so strong. Honestly I know secondary metabolites are all I’m getting but I don’t really understand it.

Just do what they say and the plants will grow!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  12. I watered and sprayed them with the kelp recipe yesterday and they appear to of loved it. Thanks much!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 3
  13. Probably need to take soil condition measurements to use the tea? Does anybody know how to do this properly? I hardly have any experience, so I ask. I've been advised to use this compost tea, but I'm worried that I might make my soil worse, maybe it doesn't need any additive?

14. I just apply on a regular basis, either as a tea or top dress, mostly top-dress though.
    As for compost tea, IMO its not necessary in organic soil containers, you can get the same benefit without the risk from just top dressing the compost and watering it in.

• Agree Agree x 1