50 watts per square?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Planet Grow, Oct 29, 2018.

1. If the Rule is 50 watts per square with a HPS ,…How would you know if your plants are getting the 50 watts, or more or less…I’m just thinking

2. If you have a 4x4 floor space that's 16 square feet. 4x4 = 16. If you take 16 and multiply by 50 watts you get 800 watts to fill a 4x4 at 50 watts per square foot.

50 is actually pretty minimal for HPS. Many growers will run up to 65 watts a square or higher. Since you see that it takes 800 watts to fill a 4x4 at 50 watts per square most people will run a 1000 watt vented hood in that size area.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. U made it super easy..!!

Im in a 2.66x2.66=5.32 sq ft.
    32cm x 32cm = 5.32 sq ft.
    Multiple 5.32 by 50 gives me 266..

Meaning i only need 266 tru watts to cover my space.. so the extra couple watts (30-40) i have make it perfect for my space..

I read somewhere its better to run 2 lights for the coverage instead of 1 cause side by side they cover edges better..

4. You always want to size your light's footprint to the area it's covering. Two is better then one is a little simplistic an approach. It's true sort of though. The more leds the wider spaced the better off you'll be at the same wattage.

5. Thanks to everyone

• Like Like x 1
  6. Not all LED lights are equal .. cheap LED lights you need 48 watts per square foot.
    What was missed so far is quality LED lights you need 28 watts per square foot .

Samsung is making the most efficient LED full spectrum light in the world.
    Actually using about 1/3 the energy that the cheap LED lights use .
    I don't own one yet but looking to buy 4 of the Samsung V 288 quantum boards ..
    I should be ordering them Monday , choice is to buy them with a Heat sink or not .

Right now the Samsung boards seem to be the best bang for the buck.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Yes, two lights can cover plants better.

• Like Like x 1
  8. With that how many grams/watt is obtainable with 50w/sqFT? Great explanation on original post also man

• Like Like x 1
  9. Awsome.. & im puting the hlg-65 in their when it comes in

10. The sun is 100w Sq/ft average.

I use 1000w Hortilux HPS for each 4 x 4. 62.5w Sq/ft.

11. At that number you should be getting some super nice buds

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. We grow big plants in 15-20 gallon containers of Promix BX.

On a really good plant we can get 24oz.

13. With HPS growing it will depend on experience but .5g/watt - 1g/watt is a typical range depending on skill. Not many people getting much above 1g/watt with HPS. It's almost unheard of.

• Like Like x 1