5' x 10' x 7' grow tent cooling

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by nrst89, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Just a few quick questions...how big of a tent is ideal for two 1000 watt hps?

Also the tent is going to be in my garage...if i started my babies they would be done roughly in june and in june my area reaches temps of 90-100...is there anyway i can keep my tent cool...will a portable ac unit work? i just wasnt sure how air tight the tents are...any help will be appreciated...i just dont want to buy a tent and have major cooling issues...

2. If you have not got you lights yet I would look into getting 3 600s instead. You have a marginal lumen difference but will be able to have a better spread of light. Or could do something like HPS/MH/HPS.

2 1000w approx 300k Lumen
    3 600W approx 270k Lumen

Next for the fans you I would consider running either cool tubes or an enclosed reflector that way you can have a separate system for cooling the bulbs just blast a lot of air through there and out of the garage and that will take care of maybe 80% of the heat from the lights. Then run a second vent system for the actual grow air.

As for the garage itself depending on how it was built there is a good chance it has no insulation in the walls and ceiling. The walls is harder to fix but ceiling if you have access is a quick fix . Next is the garage door which is going to be a big culprit for the area heating up. Even adding something like reflectix to the back side of the door will help keep the heat out.
    The higher you garage temps the more problems you will have with keeping the tent cool. You could use a portable inside the tent just make sure to vent it out of the garage. If you have a basement/crawlspace under the house and it is possible to pull you intake air from there I would consider going that route. I am currently in a house without AC and has a crawlspace under it, but i can drop the temps in the house a good bit by pulling air up from the crawlspace into the house and all it takes is a box fan.

3. i wouldnt go cheap on a large tent either but thats my opinion.