5 gallon vs 10 gallon

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Dank Dankington, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Hey guys i am looking into starting a indoor grow but still undecided with what size pots to go with. I am doing 8 pots under 2,000 watts in a Fox Farm Ocean Forest and Happy Frog mix. I wanna harvest as much as I can but don't know if to go with 5 gallon or 10 gallon pots. This will be my 4th grow but always used 5 gallon pots. I heard 10 gallon pots will give me better harvest but Im not sure if that's true. Any help/tips/ recommends will help. I'm open to all input on subject. Thanks in advance

2. It is really width vs height vs type of grow vs ?

I only have 20-24" square per plant so I use 3gal. Has given me good yields in the past. But am only growing for myself and local patients. Outdoors I use 5s and 7.5s as space isn't a factor, but I like to be able to move them in a pinch.

Be kind. Perfect your craft. Give more than you take. We are family.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bigger the better in my opinion.

That's what she said.

dilligaf

• Like Like x 3
  4. Unless your height is limited AND your training chops ain't great.
    Unless you want a variety.
    Unless you're dealing with a square instead of a rectangle and you need to get to the back plants! Talked to a guy with that problem. Hadn't thought his space out quite enough! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. I'm hoping for bout 4-5 foot plants. Ceiling is 8 feet. This my first time using 2,000 watts tho. Last three grows was 600 watts and doing 4 plants. I was pulling bout 3-4 OZs per plant with that setup but wanted more bud. So I bought me two 1,000 W setups decided to give it a go with that. Only problem is I can't decide what size pots to go with. If yield is not gonna change then I should just go with 5 gallon but if I can get more yield then I will surely go with 10 gallon pots

6. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  7. Everybody may tell you different. The plants are going to get bigger on both axis if you let them veg long enough, but you always need to consider your canopy. That's why SOG is so popular. Honestly what I would do, because smart pots aren't expensive, is do some of each and then you'll know for sure what's best for your space. If you're in this for the long haul, you'll thank yourself later. That's me. That's what I would do.

Or if you're like guod you can go balls to the wall, whole hog, all in!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hmmm, maybe try a couple in 10 gal. pots for an "experiment"?

Good luck brother!

dilligaf

• Like Like x 1

9. What are smart pots? Like them fiber/fabric pots?

• Like Like x 1

10. Yeah that makes ALOT of sense too bro. Never thought of it that way.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yup. I never grow without them. Great drainage. O2 for muh roots. Everyone's happy. I don't even use perlite in my soil.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Hold on. I said the same thing! Where's my damn kudos!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Yeah I have heard bout them n dude at local hydro shop always tells me bout them. I been wanting to try them out. Are they really better than regular plastic pots?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Like I said. Moisture control, drainage, root o2 all built into one simple flimsy sack. Never leave home without them (that ain't quite right because I don't drag them around with me, but you get the point).

• Like Like x 1
  15. It matter more when you put your plant into it's final pot than whether if you should use a 5, 7, or 10 gallon pot to grow in. For example... for a plant that is vegged for 6 weeks, and goes directly from a solo after 3 weeks to a 5 gallon pot will reach the limit of its optimized growing life in a 5 gallon pot in 8 - 9 weeks,. Which would make your plants optimized growth end at week 6 of flower. But if you went from a solo to just a 1.75 or a 2 gallon pot and then only put your plant in her final pot right at week 6, right when you were flipping to flower, your plant will reach the limit of its optimized growing life in a 5 gallon pot right about harvest time. So you really have no need for a 7, or even 10 gallon pot to get the same result as when using a 5 gallon pot if you plan your transplanting to support your total flowering time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Say no moe! I'm going with smart pots for sure. I'm sold!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. I plan on putting them into 10 gallon pots straight from seed starter. Going with Fox Farm Light Warrior for my babys start. Does putting them in 10 gallon pots from beginning to end hurt it? I would do that with all my other grows. Straight to 5 gallons on last grows. That way I don't have to be doing transplants mid grow u feel me

18. I think when you put them in a too large of a pot the plant will start very slowly and you run the risk of overwatering.

• Like Like x 1
  19. all of the above
    to each his own
    Me? #10 Airpot, same size as the #5 but a little taller, so you can just fill them until you have the height you can work with, and they produce fantastic roots and eliminate all fear of over watering.

• Like Like x 2
  20. I've been using fabric pots for a couple of years. I'm using 5gal fabric pots right now and I really like them. You can get bigger plants in smaller pots without any root issues. The only downside for some folks is that you need to water more often in fabric pots because evaporation happens through the fabric. I'm watering 1/2gal per plant every other day. That's much more often than with plastic pots. Because of this they're really good for beginners because if you overwater the problem isn't as severe as with plastic pots.

[​IMG]

Kyla's Blue Hash in Happy Frog

• Like Like x 3